GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,349
6 members and 1,343 guests
John, KatieKate1244, MSKKG, Xidelt

Old 07-25-2005, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

To adpiucf:

With all due respect my depression was the cause of personal problems with me, and my grades and lack of energy were a reflection of that...not the other way around. And I have and are currently being treated (I really did not feel the need to write that here, or go into a lengthy discussion about that). Now I am not saying if I agree or disagree with any of the opinions here, but I did get rejected twice, but wouldn't your sorority reject someone (even if you like them) because their GPA is a 2.0 (or perhaps even a 2.6). I know many groups would reject a person based on that low of a GPA, regardless of it is Greek or not. The main thing I wanted to know was should I try again eventually…maybe in Sep., but most likely when I do raise my grades, and because I am finally at a place where I am not perfect but I accept myself. And I wanted to try again because for the first time in my life I feel that way. But everyone’s opinion is appreciated.

P.S. Not getting into a sorority last year did not do anything to my depression; the depression was based on things going on in my family and home life.

Have A Good Day!

Last edited by CancerGrly785; 07-25-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by CancerGrly785
P.S. Not getting into a sorority last year did not do anything to my depression; the depression was based on things going on in my family and home life.
Regardless of what you decide to do about rush, I think you deserve some credit for dealing with your depression well enough to rush the first time. I had pretty bad problems with anxiety during my freshman year (and for about five or six years before that) and it was the main reason I didn't rush that year. So whatever happens, you should be proud you made it over that hurdle!

I don't know what to tell you about rush. If you were at my school I could give some advice, but I think others who went to smaller schools should take this one.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say.....GO FOR IT!

Everybody deserves a second chance, as long as you are determined to get what you want.
Sure rushing again will be stressful and you could face another rejection...if that happens...rush again and again. They will find out that you are someone of courage and determinations, besides you will feel good about yourself.

Keep up the good work with your grades!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
I know this may be construed as "sunshine blowing," but I think you should try this ONE LAST TIME. Don't make a nuisance of yourself, but if I read your initial post correctly, you only went through formal recruitment once and tried COB with just one group. You haven't become the girl who won't go away yet! The fact that your GPA has improved, your overall attitude toward Greek Life has improved, and you have met more members of the chapters can do nothing but help you, I would think. (That was awkward wording, I know, but my brain is fried from work right now!)

Also, something to consider--other people in your situation. How are sophomores going through recruitment (which I assume you are, but am not sure) looked upon at your school? Do you know of any who have received bids? Do you know of any sorority members who went through recruitment twice and received bids? The reason I'm asking is, at my school, neither thing is considered a big deal, and I go to a small Southern school as well. And, I've said this before, but RECS, RECS, RECS!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhel usually has a minimum grade point and if you are below that, yes you will be cut (pretty much immediately). To answer a question you posed........
Old 07-26-2005, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CancerGrly785
but wouldn't your sorority reject someone (even if you like them) because their GPA is a 2.0 (or perhaps even a 2.6).
No: My collegiate chapter consistently boasted the number one GPA among NPC chapters at our university. While we had GPA requirements for recruitment and for all members, our standing allowed us the luxury of extending bids to a select few women who posed "grade risks."

Sororities do cut for grades, but there are exceptions if the PNM is exemplary and greatly wanted.

I never meant to make your medical condition an issue-- you did cite this condition in your initial post. While I'm neither a health care professional nor Tom Cruise, I do recognize that sorority membership isn't all hugs and teddy bears. The pressures and obligations of membership can make a person feel very unhappy at times.

It isn't that you couldn't "handle" a rejection-- but a sorority isn't all warm and fuzzy sisterhood. It's a big diverse group of women-- fitting in or acclimating can challenge anyone and I've known women to lapse into depression because they did not acclimate or weren't prepared for the time committments and other personality issues when working alongside so many young women. This is something you should consider strongly.

I don't mean to be unkind, and you and everyone will construe it as such-- but when you asked "Should I re-rush" I ask you to consider it in this context: consider that you've applied for the same "job" twice and you've been turned down. This is why I believe you would be better suited to pursue another activity other than NPC sorority membership. You've explored that path on two occasions. You may go through and get a bid, and you may not. My inclination is that the chapters already have a bias against you from those two initial recruitments (formal and COR), your grades are not as competitive as they could be, and you have two very time-intensive committments outside of being a full-time student--- and you're a better person than to have to take the rejection a third time.

The ultimate choice is yours and I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-26-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
CancerGrly785, check your PM box.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
The minimum allowed GPA to qualify for recruitment is often much lower than the minimum allowed GPA within the chapters.

For example: At FSU, the minimum allowed GPA is 2.0. I can tell you thatr most chapters will cut PNMs with a GPA below 2.5 (and sometimes with exactly a 2.5 GPA) almost immediately once past ice waters are over. This is especially true for upperclassmen.

There are some exceptions, sure, and I've seen 2.0 girls receive bids and go on to be successful college and Greek participants.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to everyone who responded but I decided to transfer to another school, out of state. But even if I was going to stay at my current school, I would not go through recruitment again. Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Good luck at your new campus! I hope you have a great time there!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there anyone else that thinks that a 2.57 is in fact a 2.57 and not a 2.6 (if you round it up). Hell if you are rounding up, you might as well go with a 3.0. That is rounding up as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
Is there anyone else that thinks that a 2.57 is in fact a 2.57 and not a 2.6 (if you round it up). Hell if you are rounding up, you might as well go with a 3.0. That is rounding up as well.
A 2.57 is a 2.57...nothing more. GPA's are listed with 2 decimal places...so if you have a GPA number that has 2 decimal places, that's it. A 2.994 is rounded to a 2.99, which is NOT rounded to a 3.00.

There have been several PNMs disappointed by that, but that's life.

PsychTau