Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,336
0 members and 1,336 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
I don't see why we are so sensitive about this thread...There is an AI thread that lists which orgs do and don't do AI, for reference. If any of that info has changed, it makes sense that we would want to keep it current.
That was not the reason for this post. That was not the reason for the move.

Reread my post and that should explain why. If not, then PM me or check Mod Thread.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

Shouldn't it at least say that it is temporarily suspended on the list with all the Greek orgs doing alumni initiation if this was something on their own website?

-Rudey
Old 01-13-2005, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Shouldn't it at least say that it is temporarily suspended on the list with all the Greek orgs doing alumni initiation if this was something on their own website?

-Rudey
No because since the question was originally asked last fall, Alpha Phi has updated the site. The gist is pretty much what bruinalphaphi said. Alpha Phi has an alumna initiate program but the specifics are for Alpha Phi eyes only.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Well, it looks like there's a whole lot of backstory to this. Let me explain, though, what it looks like to somebody who has no idea what's going on -- and didn't read any of the previous thread(s):

Asking IF AF has AI right now is a reasonable, appropriate question.

Asking what problems, if any, AF is having with AI is NOT a reasonable or appropriate question.

Looks for all the world like Rudey's asking the first question. There are probably a lot of women on this board who'd like the answer to that. AF is a highly respected organization with a great sisterhood, and (to my knowledge) has one of the best AI programs out there.

Now, if there's more to the story that I'm seeing -- like another thread where this topic was brought up, and addressed disrespectfully -- that's different. But keep in mind most of us are seeing the information in this thread for the first time.

Last edited by HotDamnImAPhiMu; 01-13-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

FYI: When AOII restructured their AI program, there was time of several months when the program was not "active." When the new program was unvieled, it was better than ever and easier to understand...complete with wonderful color brochures and packets and easy to understand directions.

Silver

Last edited by AOIIsilver; 01-13-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
No because since the question was originally asked last fall, Alpha Phi has updated the site. The gist is pretty much what bruinalphaphi said. Alpha Phi has an alumna initiate program but the specifics are for Alpha Phi eyes only.
The specifics are for Alpha Phi eyes. Fine. I didn't ask bruinaphi for the specifics after she said she couldn't respond. But perhaps there should be a general note that there is a suspension and that they don't know if the suspension is over. This was on their website you're all saying, right? It's not a secret.

I've never once said anything bad about Alpha Phi right people? I have never once insulted anything regarding the sorority or any sorority, in fact. I've seen several Alpha Phi chapters and there wasn't one I didn't like. Why I posed the question is not anyone's concern, but I didn't do it with malintent so I would appreciate it if people stopped attacking me and using foul language.

-Rudey
Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't speak for Alpha Phi as an organization, but whether or not Alpha Phi does alumnae initiation is relevant only to interested potential members and Alpha Phis.

Personally I don't think a discussion of alumnae initiation belongs on greekchat or any other internet site for that matter. If a woman is interested, she should be able to figure out who to contact. If a woman is an Alpha Phi, she either knows the current status of the alumnae initiation program or knows who to ask at the Executive Office.

Why does anyone think it's necessary to spell out who does alumnae initiation and how on a message board?

Last edited by valkyrie; 01-13-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Again, we talk about rush in the rush forum and discuss many schools and organizations. It's OK to say that the sororities at Colorado are not doing rush immediately in the year but are having deferred rush (so I guess temporarily they aren't doing recruitment just like Alpha Phi isn't).

In this alumni initation forum, we talk about alumni initiation. There are threads on who does it and it is not against the rules. It was also something posted on the Alpha Phi website, from what I understand, so it's public. Some people may like it, some may not.

I am glad people can be civil and those that do want to talk about it, can.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 01-13-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Rudey,

I believe I did answer your question in my original response, but since you decided to mock the information provided rather than read it I will again.

ALPHA PHI HAS ALUMNAE INITIAION RIGHT NOW. As I posted previously, "Candidates for alumnae initiation in Alpha Phi include: (1) A mother, stepmother or female relative of an Alpha Phi in good standing; (2) A woman who has been involved and continues to be involved in Alpha Phi activities and functions; or (3) A woman whose public stature or professional accomplishments evidence her value as a potential member of the Fraternity."

Whether or not we suspended our program for any period of time is not the business of anyone who is not a member of our fraternity. If we didn't have a program, or the program wasn't active, the response in the AI Assistance Advice Forum would be different.

Thank you for your interest in Alpha Phi, can we please move on?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I think it's relevant.

For the same reason that we read how other sororities prepare for rush.... or maintain their websites.... or deal with problems with membership.... or maintain alumni relations.

We have a lot to teach and learn from each other. And if you're into the ideals of Panhell, anything we can do to grow individually helps the NPC (and, well, sororities in general) as a whole. That's why there are threads about "list your favorite thing about any sorority other than your own" and such.

I agree that it's none of our (meaning, non-AF initated) business WHY AF has/did/might have suspended their AI program.

But, there's really no reason for AF to pretend like nothing's going on. They're not doing anything wrong. In fact, they're quite obviously doing something very RIGHT to have so many women interested in AI with AF that this subject would come up!

What would've been great is a little note on their website saying, "AF is currently reorganizing (or whatever) our AI program. More info when it becomes available." Simple, but gets the point across.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bruinaphi
Rudey,

I believe I did answer your question in my original response, but since you decided to mock the information provided rather than read it I will again.

ALPHA PHI HAS ALUMNAE INITIAION RIGHT NOW. As I posted previously, "Candidates for alumnae initiation in Alpha Phi include: (1) A mother, stepmother or female relative of an Alpha Phi in good standing; (2) A woman who has been involved and continues to be involved in Alpha Phi activities and functions; or (3) A woman whose public stature or professional accomplishments evidence her value as a potential member of the Fraternity."

Whether or not we suspended our program for any period of time is not the business of anyone who is not a member of our fraternity. If we didn't have a program, or the program wasn't active, the response in the AI Assistance Advice Forum would be different.

Thank you for your interest in Alpha Phi, can we please move on?
INITAION? I assume you mean initiation. You did help me realize my mistake on the whole alumni mistake. I won't say you mocked my question, but perhaps I was slightly perturbed by it.

OK so basically the suspension is over. Fine. That's what I wanted to know and now I know. No need to hide this entire business as if the sorority had something bad to hide up. Now interested women who want to do alumni initiation know that the program is open to them and for others who just are interested in general, they know about it too.

Again I didn't say anything bad about Alpha Phi and in fact your own chapter at UCLA is pretty impressive. Thank you for caring about my interest in your organization.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 01-18-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu

What would've been great is a little note on their website saying, "AF is currently reorganizing (or whatever) our AI program. More info when it becomes available." Simple, but gets the point across.
According to GC members their website did say that.

According to bruinaphi, they stopped the suspension and are doing alumni initiation.

Right?

-Rudey
Old 01-13-2005, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think this should about exhaust all answers and questions the need to be asked or answered.

Let us move on.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
INITAION? I assume you mean initation.
There are 4 I's in initiation, my dear.

And Alpha Phi (and any other ALL FEMALE GREEK LETTERED ORGANIZATION) does alumnae initiation, not alumni initiation. Good grief.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 01-16-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

This thread has gone on long enough. It is going no where.

Many People have asked to have this thread deleted.

I dont like deleting any thread and will delete it in 24 hours unless My Fellow Mod disagrees.

LX Z # 1
Alumni