GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,336
2 members and 1,334 guests
Cookiez17, PhoenixAttain

Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

i don't know anyone who "works" for these companies...i've actually never heard of them.

are they really popular? they sound really weird
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
Oh man, we have some friends who have gotten into Primerica, and I'm really afraid for them, too. The guy gave up his old career (which was his passion) to pursue this "opportunity". The more I read about it, the less I like it. It can be really hard to maintain a friendship with people who have been sucked into these things.
I had an "interview" with Primerica. Half way through the interview I coul tell they were shady right at the beginning of the interview. I was invited back to their "information" meeting. I didn't go.

I also had an interview with a "marketing company". The job was to go door to door and solicit donations for some "charity".
Old 02-23-2004, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Another scary thing is that you don't always know it's part of Amway/Quixtar. They all have individual names like "Smith Enterprises", so it's very misleading.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305
I was twice involved in amway and both times it doesn't work out for me, so I stop.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 87azdalum
Amway

My husband was contacted about Amway in around 1995 and got all excited about the possibilities. Most of what has been said in this thread has been close to true - you are committed to your own business by buying products from yourself instead of buying them from your competition (Kroger, Wal-Mart, etc) and you try to educate others to do the same. I don't know how many times it was explained that Amway is not a pyramid scheme, but honestly, I don't remember the answer.

Being successful requires an ungodly amount of time, committment, and $$$ - we traveled to I don't know how many "rallies" to hear the big dogs speak and tell us how to become big dogs. Each rally cost at least $500 after room, board, and gas to drive there. It turned out that my DH didn't enjoy approaching his friends, co-workers, and acquaintances about the program, so we quit after spending too much money. Alot of the values they represent were admirable (i.e. investing in yourself, family values, etc), but I think it only works for those who become obsessed.

Sorry for the long post, but this is something I've experienced first hand. And by the way, being the good wife who supports her husband, I stood by his side during this period of our relationship despite the fact that I wasn't motivated to be part of it.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't Mary-Kay like this too? We had an advisor that worked for MK and she was CRAZY about getting us to sell it too, always trying to get us to buy stuff, etc. It was so annoying.

Also, I've heard that Enterprise Rent-a-car is a cult-like company. I don't really have any details but an older friend told me. I don't know if it's a pyramid scheme or that they're just really hyped up on "what's good for the company is good for us all!"
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
Isn't Mary-Kay like this too? We had an advisor that worked for MK and she was CRAZY about getting us to sell it too, always trying to get us to buy stuff, etc. It was so annoying.
YES! One of my good friends sells Mary Kay. Every time I would complain about my job or needing money or something her answer was always "Well, you could sell Mary Kay!" No, not my thing. It was to the point where she was going heavily into debt buying product (they're told they must have a lot of inventory so they can fill any order for any product anyone might have immediately...God forbid someone has to wait a couple days for an eyeshadow!) and not making anywhere near enough to make a dent in it. She's not super active with it now, thankfully, but for a while it was really obnoxious.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
YES! One of my good friends sells Mary Kay. Every time I would complain about my job or needing money or something her answer was always "Well, you could sell Mary Kay!"
Our advisor would come in and be like "I'm making more with Mary-Kay then I did as a lawyer!" Maybe, but I'm not quite buying it. She also married an obscenely rich older man who I'm sure helped with purchasing that eyeshadow.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Amway

Quote:
Originally posted by 87azdalum
I don't know how many times it was explained that Amway is not a pyramid scheme, but honestly, I don't remember the answer.
From what I understand, it is not a pyramid scheme because they actually have a product to sell. The illegal pyramid scheme is one in which you recruit other to join and they in turn must recruit people but there is never any actual product being sold, except the membership into the "club."
Old 02-26-2004, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

People can make lots of money selling Mary Kay because they are selling a product that women have to replace pretty regularly (makeup, etc). If you are good at sales and marketing yourself, and as long as you're not in an area that's totally saturated with other Mary Kay consultants.

I don't sell Mary Kay, I've known people who do, so that's just my personal opinion.

PsychTau
Old 02-27-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I had an "interview" with Primerica. Half way through the interview I coul tell they were shady right at the beginning of the interview. I was invited back to their "information" meeting. I didn't go.
My husband interviewed with them when he was fresh out of college, having no idea who they were or what they were about. They made him give 5 references at the initial interview, and then SOLICITED his references to join the program. Needless to say, he said thanks but no thanks to the job offer.

My holiday bonus from my employers this year was a free "Financial Planning" seminar conducted by Primerica. Not only are they cheap bastards, but they're trying to get us involved in a pyramid scheme. Oy. I know of no employees who actually attended.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Also, I've heard that Enterprise Rent-a-car is a cult-like company. I don't really have any details but an older friend told me. I don't know if it's a pyramid scheme or that they're just really hyped up on "what's good for the company is good for us all!"

1) Your advisor shouldn't be trying to get you guys to sell or buy stuff! I mean its one thing if Suzy says "Hey, I wish I had some Timewise cleanser - I just ran out" and the advisor says "Oh, I have some - I'll drop it off to you" -- but quite another to be soliciting from her chapter girls. UGH! My women know that I sell PartyLite, and they will tell me when they are out of candles or need a gift, but other than that - they don't hear it from me.

2) I don't know about the Pyramid scheme thing -- for PartyLite, while yes, we are pyramid in nature (so is everything - look at the school where you have a Board of Education, a principal, the teachers, the assistants, etc.) we are not a scheme. For one, you pay nothing to get started with PL - for another, people that you sponsor do not PAY you - PL does that. Also, we require no inventory, so you don't place orders until you have shows. But I digress...

3) I don't know about Enterprise Rent-A-Car - I interviewed with them after grad school, and was totally pissed off that I was told to come to work everyday in a suit -- not a dress, or matching separates - a suit, and heels -- oh, and we all wash cars during the day. I said "WHAT?" and she said "oh yes - we all wash cars in our suits during the day - customers like to see us doing that" - I was like - HELL no! I don't wash my own car -- much less in a suit and heels! I'm not saying its beneath me, but I think its stupid. I always laugh when I'm driving by, and there are all these suits and heels out washing cars!
Old 02-27-2004, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum
1) Your advisor shouldn't be trying to get you guys to sell or buy stuff! I mean its one thing if Suzy says "Hey, I wish I had some Timewise cleanser - I just ran out" and the advisor says "Oh, I have some - I'll drop it off to you" -- but quite another to be soliciting from her chapter girls. UGH! My women know that I sell PartyLite, and they will tell me when they are out of candles or need a gift, but other than that - they don't hear it from me.
I am so glad to hear somebody say this - one of my fellow chapter alums is all into PartyLite and every time she comes back to the house she brings brochures and passes them around.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I had some friends who got involved in Quixtar and they have never been teh same. It really is all they talk about. They aer constantly talking about the programs and conventions that they go to (which they pay to go to!). After they tried to get me to join, we have drifted apart, mostly because they never accepted that I just didn't want to be involved.
I worry for them because they recently got married, and they both want to quit their jobs and "life off their residual income," which they don't have. They would be giving up health insurance that comes with their jobs to do this. I just don't understand.

A lot of people I know have been approached about Quixtar and most of them have had that same nagging feeling that I had. It sounds interesting, but somthing about it is just off. They sometimes heavily promote themselves as a christian company, which does work witht that market. I am all for family values and staying home to spend time with your family if you can, but what's the point if you go broke just trying to make it in their company?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:39 PM

Quote:

I've heard some bad things about Enterprise. A friend of mine worked there for 2 years after graduating from college. Basically, it was a 75 hour a week job. He came to work at 6am and didn't leave until 9pm. He also worked on Saturdays. That's fine for some people but many are getting paid accordingly for all those extra hours but he was only getting paid $30,000 per year. In other words, he was getting paid about $7.50/hr. He could have just been working as a retail sales clerk for that money and not have the same stress from the job.
Enterprise told him that he would only be working from the office by his house. Six months later, they told him that he would have to work at the airport for 2 months (they do this to everyone, supposedly). He hours were much longer since I think the airport car rental places are open 24/7.
He washed cars in his suits. He also had to pick up customers at their homes.
The title they give you is manager-in-training but you're basically a slave. They tell you that you can move up to being manager of the office but it takes many years and a lot of work. Most people quit before moving up to a real management position.
When he was hired by Enterprise, they told him that he would be promoted within 6 months. After 6 months, they told him there were no management positions open. After a year, they still told him that there were no management positions open. In the meantime, they kept putting new college graduates in his office under the management-in-training position. They were all being told that they would have a managerial position within 6 months. After being there for two years, Enterprise told him that they weren't going to promote him because he wasn't working hard enough (when he was basically doing things for the office manager because the office manager was lazy). When I asked him why he stayed for so long when he basically knew they were screwing him, he said it was because they almost brainwashed him into believing that everything he was doing was great for the company and that he would one day be rewarded for it.
He is not the only one I've heard this from.
When Enterprise came to my school for a career fair last year, a lot of the students were avoiding the Enterprise booth like the plague. I overheard a girl saying, "They're bad. They don't tell you all the job requirements when they hire you and once you're hired, they sucker you into staying."
The unfortunate thing about Enterprise is that my friend didn't gain any real management experience. He basically drove customers around, handled their complaints, and washed cars. I don't think that looks so good on a resume.