Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,636
3 members and 1,633 guests
Phrozen Sands, UW_dawg

Old 12-14-2002, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Why would the husband want a piece of glass lol? wouldn't that mean that the father would dislike you a little bit?

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
If you two are serious, why not buy the parents something like a nice piece of Fenton art glass? All of it is gorgeous, plus you can get it in just about any color and price range...and "joint gifts" (to both parents, not a separate gift for each) are always easier.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

my boyfriend's parents already have EVERYTHING... how do you get ideas from there?!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
[QUOTE]Originally posted by James
Why would the husband want a piece of glass lol? wouldn't that mean that the father would dislike you a little bit?/QUOTE]

YOU might not want anything like that, but Fenton pieces are traditional around here for wedding gifts, anniversary presents, or any other occasion like Christmas, birthdays, etc. I'm so glad I'm not dating your son, sir, because I hate doing Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Trust me, Ma'm LOL, when I tell you that regardles of how traditional a gift that is, its more designed to please the wife than the Husband.

For example: If the father were living alone, would that be your choice of a gift?

Luckily for you, the vast majority of Dad's really don't care what you get them lol.

However, I am glad I am not dating your daughter, because she would probably get me pieces of glass for my birthday and X-mas!

OH, and given my age, if you were dating my fictional son, well that would be a crime in most countries lol .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by James
Why would the husband want a piece of glass lol? wouldn't that mean that the father would dislike you a little bit?/QUOTE]

YOU might not want anything like that, but Fenton pieces are traditional around here for wedding gifts, anniversary presents, or any other occasion like Christmas, birthdays, etc. I'm so glad I'm not dating your son, sir, because I hate doing Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by James
Luckily for you, the vast majority of Dad's really don't care what you get them lol.

OH, and given my age, if you were dating my fictional son, well that would be a crime in most countries lol .
Exactly. That's why you have to please the mother and get in her good books, because really, it all comes down to her. If his ma likes you, you're all right, but if not, you'd better hide.

By the way, what's wrong with dating someone much older? My dad got his drivers' license the year my mom was born...is that a crime???
Old 12-15-2002, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing wrong with dating someone much older, although other women might give you a hard time about it lol, especially some ZTA's I know . . . .

But lemme try this again. If I had a son he would be VERY young and it would definitely be ilegal for you to date him.

Sorry but I seem to be miscommunicating all over the place today!

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80

By the way, what's wrong with dating someone much older? My dad got his drivers' license the year my mom was born...is that a crime???
Old 12-15-2002, 11:41 PM
Banned

I don't think I'd get a separate gift for someone's parents. I'd simply buy some nice wine, buy a floral arrangement, or have a Junior's cheesecake sent in the night where I'd be going to their house.

-Rudey
--Everybody loves food.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think joint gifts are okay at first, but once you get to know them as individuals, I think you should go for more personalized individual gifts.

It doesn't matter as long as it's thoughtful...

And, James, I agree that the regifting is usually not a thoughtful action. I think it's more something you do for an office secret santa than someone you are close to.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
My boyfriend's mom last year got me a cashmere sweater, and I didn't know she was getting me something, so I didn't have anything for her. I felt awful!

So this year I got her a crystal orchid, with a small pink piece of crystal in the middle. Depending on the way you turn it, the pink splashes throughout the crystal and it's really pretty. She loved it. I had a choice between the orchid and a rose, but I thought the orchid was much more exotic.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003