Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,511
2 members and 1,509 guests
amIblue?, JayhawkAOII

Old 06-17-2002, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I didn't say that this was racially motivated, but if it WERE a white man shooting just black men, no matter what the reason, it would be considered racially motivated.

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
If this was a white man shooting at black men in a cafe or whatever it was, it would be racially motivated. I'm so sick of racial things bein different when the "black man" is the victim.
Why is this such a pressing issue? Incidents like this are pretty rare.

When was the last time you were a victim of racism? And how?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-17-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If this was a white man shooting at black men in a cafe or whatever it was, it would be racially motivated. I'm so sick of racial things bein different when the "black man" is the victim.
I am so sick of people pulling any old example out of the air and trying to call it REVERSE RACISM!!

If I (a african american felmale ) were to shoot a white women, iplease explain to me how that reverse racism????????

Reverse racism are things such as a white couple being denied a home loan because they are white, it is when a black bank decides to "red line" predominately white neightborhoods (meaning that they will not approve any loans for properties in that neighborhood), it is when a white person goes into Neiman Marcus and is CONSTANTLY followed around by a black sales associate and the stores black sercurity staff......those are REVERSE RACISM!!

Although a hate crime and reverse racism are TWO DIFFERENT things, both of them are not ok.

FOr those of you that think this is REVERSE RACISM, how do you define a hate crime?

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 06-17-2002 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh!!! It's not a pressing issue. I'm just clearing up what I said. And the last time I was a victim of racism was last week. I accidentally cut off a car full of black people (don't flame me on this, I'm not racist...see the thread I posted a while back) and they found me at a gas station. One woman got out of the car, threw some nasty food type thing at my window, and said "Get out of the car you f-king white bitch". Now if I had retaliated and called her a "black bitch" then I'd definately be in the hospital right now.

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ahhh!!! It's not a pressing issue. I'm just clearing up what I said. And the last time I was a victim of racism was last week. I accidentally cut off a car full of black people (don't flame me on this, I'm not racist...see the thread I posted a while back) and they found me at a gas station. One woman got out of the car, threw some nasty food type thing at my window, and said "Get out of the car you f-king white bitch". Now if I had retaliated and called her a "black bitch" then I'd definately be in the hospital right now.
So that is racism? Ok, let me understand that now name-calling is racism? PM Mama, let me understand that you think its reverse racism because if you had called them a black b*tch and they would have beat you up? *lol*
What would you call it if you had beat them up?? Just regular racism?

PEOPLE, so folks are truly confusing the terms HATE CRIME and RACISM. Please re-read Observant1's post with definitions of the two.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 06-17-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

I am so sick of people pulling any old example out of the air and trying to call it REVERSE RACISM!!

If I (a african american felmale ) were to shoot a white women, iplease explain to me how that reverse racism????????

FOr those of you that think this is REVERSE RACISM, how do you define a hate crime?
Could u tell me where I wrote reverse racism? Cuz I don't see it there...

And I think u defined reverse racism well. I think a lot of things that are racially motivated are hate crimes, but I also see hate crimes as violence created towards gays and lesbians.

Can I ask a question? How come when there's violence between whites and hispanics or asian or arabics, it's not considered racially movitated or a hate crime, but just violence?

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

So that is racism? Ok, let me understand that now name-calling is racism? PM Mama, its racism because if you had called them a black b*tch and they would have beat you up? *lol* What would you call it if you had beat them up??
It's wouldn't have been racist if she beat me up or if I beat her up. But callin me a f-king white bitch is a racial slur. Racism goes both ways, as well as with ANY race in the human kind.

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that this is more of a man who was despondent about life: he has AIDS, his wife has recently died (most likely of AIDS as well), and he is a dad to a child who might have it as well. I see this man as tired of being victimized as a Black man and sees white people as the source of his troubles as well as the rest of the Black race. Yes he did go on a violent shooting spree but as it was said in the other racism thread: RACISM involves power. The only power the man had was that day when he had a gun in his hand. So his power was temporary and only had when he had a tool of destruction in his hands.

Instead of calling everything that happens that involves Blacks and whites racism, how about posting it and talking about how our society is deteriorating.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I would have called it "Defending myself"....and someone who throws $hit on my window deserves a good $$-whopping.

I knew that posting this thread was probably a bad idea, but I guess something that just happened in the past 24 hours, still cannot bring people to one common ground. Racisim and hate-crimes cannot be justified....at all. It just amazes me how people try to make these wrong things right...by the color of skin.

PS, if someone says the "N" word, they're racist, right? So yes, name-calling has always been an act of racism.

Quote:

So that is racism? Ok, let me understand that now name-calling is racism? PM Mama, its racism because if you had called them a black b*tch and they would have beat you up?
*lol* What would you call it if you had beat them up??
Old 06-17-2002, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It's wouldn't have been racist if she beat me up or if I beat her up. But callin me a f-king white bitch is a racial slur. Racism goes both ways, as well as with ANY race in the human kind.

Sounds to me like a pissed off Black woman. Just because she called you a white B**** does not make that a racist incident. She was PISSED off. I can guarantee you she would have done the same thing had it been a Black person.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

[Quote from PM_Mama
If this was a white man shooting at black men in a cafe or whatever it was, it would be racially motivated. I'm so sick of racial things bein different when the "black man" is the victim.]

What does this example imply?

[Quote from PM_Mama
Can I ask a question? How come when there's violence between whites and hispanics or asian or arabics, it's not considered racially movitated or a hate crime, but just violence?]

I have seen and read articles about incidents against other minorities and they have been described using references to their race, and are not just called violence. There are currently tons of articles out now about the increase in hate crimes against arabs or other people of middle-eastern descent.

And for the record a racial slur and racism are not the same thing. Both are equally hurtful, but the two words are not the same.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
sounds like a hate crime to me, because hey.....they wanted to beat her up, and had she gotten out of the car, i imagine a punch or two would have been thrown.....but you know what? I bet you're the only person who has ever been right in your life.

Hate crimes have to have a basis......you have to hate something to commit a hate crime.....what the F do you think he didn't like about these people? These white people? Why do you think he hated them so much that he tried to kill them....I don't know....did you read the part of the article that said:
Quote:
Witnesses told police that Johnson was "ranting about white people and vowed revenge for thousands of years of suffering."
...or did you conviently miss that portion?
I bet that him hating white people for the thousands of years of suffering that most of these people may not have ever taken part in had nothing to do with the HATE that this crime was motivated by...I'm sure it was entirely incidental. Do you realize exactly how unreasonable that is? He basically said...I want to kill you because you are white it seems. This is not reverse racism....i agree. It's a HATE crime based on RACISM (there is no reverse).

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 06-17-2002, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigmaChiCard
what in any of that would lead you to believe that these individuals attacked was based on gender considering it was a man shooting mostly men, or regarding sexual preference? He approached a group of white people and tried to kill them.....I bet the HATE was motived by his disproval of their hairstyles, cause I can totally see where it would be race....and thank you PM mama...I would hope all reading would agree....there are different standards, and it's BS and I cannot understand how some people are blind to it
i'm going to guess that you're referring to my reply to you. I was merely letting you know that there are OTHER TYPES of hate crimes, not just racially motivated ones. Whether or not they have anything to do with this story is irrevant as fas a my reply to you is concerned. Now, if you were referring specifically to this story, you should have made that clear.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what else I can say to make my point more clear, so I'm just not even gona try. As for racial slurs and racism, let's say a white guy calls a black guy the N word, and this results in some kind of violence, it would be considered "racially motivated". I'm giving up on this thread cuz people can't understand what I'm tryin to say and obviously it's gona become a black/white thing and I don't wana get into that.

KLTC
Old 06-17-2002, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SigmaChiGuy
I would have called it "Defending myself"....and someone who throws $hit on my window deserves a good $$-whopping.

I knew that posting this thread was probably a bad idea, but I guess something that just happened in the past 24 hours, still cannot bring people to one common ground. Racisim and hate-crimes cannot be justified....at all. It just amazes me how people try to make these wrong things right...by the color of skin.

PS, if someone says the "N" word, they're racist, right? So yes, name-calling has always been an act of racism.

Man I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here.

SigmaChiGuy, my point of all this is to say that please call things as they are. A hate crime, an act of racism, a racist person, are all distinct and SEPERATE pieces of an ugly puzzle that does not change from one race to another (anlthough some folks believe that it does). Again, please use the correct terminology.

Examples:

A Hate Crime : The Matthew Shepard incident

Racism: Country clubs that do not admit blacks or jews (they still exist today in 2002)

A Racist: The Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan

These examples can apply to any race, but yet, how would it be racism (which is based on power) if the Grand Wizard of the KKK threatened to beat me up if I cut him off on the freeway? What I am saying is that before we can really have a good frank discussion about this, we all need to be on the same page in regards to WHAT is WHAT.

Ok, back to the article as I said earlier, I believe that this was a hate crime, PERIOD.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 06-17-2002 at 11:39 AM.