GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,082
0 members and 1,082 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2002, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
I am not saying you have a hearing problem, BUT we all know chants change constantly. So if you heard it in 96 as aka chant and I heard it in 90 as Zeta chant and now you believe it has "become" strictly a Zeta chant...go figure.

No I hear pretty well actually! And no need to get your panties in a bunch, but yeah it was an aka chant and I still associate it with the aka's. Same words and everything. But I do acknowledge that the Zetas do say that chant, but that's just my opinion.

I associate the "Pretty girls wear 20 pearls" with the aka's of course. But My sorors have put a spin on that and put on jackets "Women not girls wear 9 pearls" and one Zeta here has a jacket that says "Pretty girls wear 5 pearls".

I have always heard about the "phirst fam" and my dad crossed in the 50's. So it does depend on where you are at, or "Lyle Love" as I've heard some aka's call it.

I'll try to think of some more.

QTE
Old 04-09-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Have we strayed....

Have we strayed away from the initial question at hand....

I posed the question in the Alpha Room when a non-greek (supposedly AKA interest) was catching heat for using the name 'pretty-girl' as her handle. Therefore, my question was simple...do you assume that certain people are your Sorors/Frat just because they use such? What words should non-greeks stay away from?

I wasn't trying to ask who does what and...who 'supposedly' has stolen this....because folks we simply don't have patents on those chants and saying. If people want to use them they can.... We could argue about this for days.... I remember Sorors and Deltas getting into about steps -- That's a Delta Step; that's an AKA step. I've heard many versions of different chants by different greeks adding their own flavor.... Same with poems and etc.

OK...back to the question at hand... This is suppose to be a fun thread now.... So play nice! I feel like I'm talking to my junior achievement kids right about now
Old 04-09-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE

No I hear pretty well actually! And no need to get your panties in a bunch.

QTE
I am sure your hearing is fine. Its really all love. Trust me, I'm not at all bunched up. I apologize if you were offended. My statement really was not intended to be a direct attack on you.

Greek Love,
FinerWoman 10-A-91

Last edited by Finer Woman10-A-91; 04-09-2002 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Well...

I don't get out much so if I say something that peeves you, YOU SHOULD PM ME so that I'll know to respond--please!!!

I'm still trippin' offa those that think they can wear my Sorority's colors up in one of my events when they have been told and they say they're not an interest today!!!

Then whatz up with dees "handles" or email addresses by SOME interests??? Like desiring(your orgs year)@yahoo.com--UM discretion! PLEASE!

But as far as "wondering"... Don't let me be one to start a challenge... Besides, there are WAYS you can spot somebody--even online. I guess it goes with the "schooling"...

Maybe the hard part is when a "love connection" is trying to be developed, and they emit some sort of aire about themselves, if you are unsure about another org's "process"--especially one of the opposite sex, then you can get a little debunked...

Also, there are these "stereotypes" that some folks have about BGLO's... So, if see somebody that doesn't quite "fit" into that stereotype and IS wearing XYZ 'nalia, then what? With, um, "thangs" like intake randomization in the absence of a "traditional historical context", then it can be easy to misinterpret an outsider and an insiders actions...

So, sometimes, I'm skrait up with somebody and point blank ask a brotha or a sistah. Usually, most folks who are on the outside are honest--especially if they are mature about it. But that's my 30-40-something crowd. As a young person who's, say, under 25 in an academic enviroment, I can see how there might be some confusion, errors in judgement and some hostility.

disclaimer That's just my opinion, and is unreflective of the official doctrines of my Sorors and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.--but I skerioussly doubt it...
Old 04-09-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
i associate the following with Sigma Gamma Rho:

accentuation of RHO in a word or phrase as in RHOyalty or glamRHOus or RHOck or soRHOr

anything with the word POODLE in it

or yellow tea rose

Pretty Poodle as in Prrrrrretty Pooooooodle

1922 and "22"

7 Pearls

Blue _____ or Gold ______

SIGMA
Old 04-10-2002, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Question New to me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Knowledge1922
Do y'all say this? How?? Is there a page I can go to to hear it? I know on some sorors' pages you can hear SKEE-WEE. I just wanna hear it, lol.

My Sista Greeks of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., what about So Sweet? I don't think anyone listed that one.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
Wink Pretty Poodle

Quote:
Do y'all say this? How?? Is there a page I can go to to hear it? I know on some sorors' pages you can hear SKEE-WEE. I just wanna hear it, lol.
Yes, we do. We also have a Pretty Poodle pose!

I have only seen pages that EEE YIP (the official call) on them, not the pretty poodle call.

I learned it from a soror who crossed @ howard last year. i tend to just ee yip @ my sorors here in boston. but we do rhock the pretty poodle pose for photos.

Pretty Poodle is also a popular sorhor tag or screenname
Old 04-10-2002, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Pretty Poodle

Quote:

Pretty Poodle is also a popular sorhor tag or screenname
HA!

You got that right!

Out here on the west we sometimes say Cha-Pooooooodle! (dont know of any site where folks can here it tho)
Old 04-10-2002, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Re: New to me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08

My Sista Greeks of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., what about So Sweet? I don't think anyone listed that one.
Yeah, i know the Zeta's from my school does SOOOOOOOO SWEET!!! I will admit at first I thought they were Delta's (when I first came there and I was just on the outisde looking in) b/c the SOOOOO sounds just like the first OOOOO- in OO-OOP!!! until you here the Sweet at the end!!! Just like EEEE-IIIKEE!!! My aunts NEVER did this call, so when I first heard that, I asked my aunt about it and she said that the reason why her chapter never did it was b/c it sounded too close to Skee-Wee! I guess different strokes for different folk!!
Old 04-10-2002, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: New to me!

Quote:
Originally posted by DableST_1
Just like EEEE-IIIKEE!!!
I've never heard an EEEE-IIIIKEEE. I've seen it on some Zetas' pages, but I've never actually heard it. Is it a regional thang?

I know we all off topic, lol, sorry SOROR Happydays.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

EEE-I-KEEE was used before the official call and response became Z-PHI! SO Sweet!.

Some people still use EE-I-KEE! If So Sweet is done well, it won't sound like OO-OOP.

Divine Zeta
Old 04-10-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I like this thread! Thank you girl, for starting this. This is so informative to those of us who don't know any better LOL! If you have traveled you will realize that a lot of these things are strictly regional.

Cha-Pooooodle!!! to you Pretty Poodle6. We say that here in DC too.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: What you can do....

Quote:
Originally posted by prettypoodle6

HA!

You got that right!

Out here on the west we sometimes say Cha-Pooooooodle! (dont know of any site where folks can here it tho)
You CAN create your own .wav file with your organizations call, in your/ or someone else's voice, and then just send them out to your chapters, and link it to web pages etc etc.......
Just a suggestion, to get you started
Old 04-11-2002, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JJSP01
Quote:
i associate the following with Sigma Gamma Rho:

"22"

Hmmm...I don't associate "22" with just Sigma Gamma Rho...Delta Sigma Theta considers that a special number too...our founders...In a step I recently learned we chant "...Delta 22..."
Old 04-11-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Lightbulb Something in common...

Quote:
Originally posted by JJSP01

Hmmm...I don't associate "22" with just Sigma Gamma Rho...Delta Sigma Theta considers that a special number too...our founders...In a step I recently learned we chant "...Delta 22..."
Twenty two is special to both of you...that's precious.

I was 22 when I crossed...so its special to me too