GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 1,133
0 members and 1,133 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: stipulation of settlement

Quote:
Originally posted by highiq
I wish TSU would just hand out a couple of those MINORITY (ironic, huh?) scholarships,but it's not that easy Honeykiss1974. Since we're a state-supported school, we must do what the state says. They give us money to build and remodel different buildings. If we don't give them scholarships then the money will stop coming in and...well TSU will become the UT-Nashville. It's the students job now to go to these highschools and encourage these black students to come to TSU. We don't get too much help from alumni. We try to get the NAACP and other organizations involved, but it all turns on a deaf ear. I just don't want it to be too late if and when we all come together and oppose. Just look at Lincoln University in Jefferson City, MO.
Oh, I totally understand. I attended Kentucky State Univ. where we were going through the same thing. Fortunaly (if you want to call it that) even though as of 1999, we are 59% african american, out of the 34% that is white, (about 90% are non-traditional students). Oh, the other 5% is Hispanic.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Grambling Closing

GRAMBLING CLOSING? School could be out for more than just the summer.

(Jul. 29, 2002) Grambling State University is in danger of closing. You read right. According to Reuters, due to serious accounting discrepancies within the university, the school could be closing its doors.
This comes just a year after the historically black college celebrated its 100th birthday.

Founded by an association of black farmers in 1901, the Louisiana college has been unable to provide financial statements deemed acceptable for a state audit since 1997, Reuters reported. Such an audit is usually required for reaccreditation, which happens every 10 years. Grambling is reportedly 2 years overdue.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, an Atlanta -based national accrediting group, has placed Grambling on probation and has set a Sept. 16 deadline for an approved audit for the past two academic years.

Here's the problem. Without accreditation, the school loses all federal funds, including financial aid. In addition, Grambling degrees would lose value, in particular with admissions boards at other institutions or licensing boards.

The accounting problems involve a series of financial problems, including thefts and improper spending. State Legislative Auditor Dan Kyle hopes to tame the task and has doubled the auditing staff to help the school meet the deadline. He described the school's bookkeeping to Reuters as: "like saying for accounts receivable, 'several different people owe me $10,000 combined, but I don't know who they are or how much each one owes.'''

from EURWEB
Old 07-29-2002, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

From www.blackamericaweb.com

Grambling to be shutdown?
07/25/2002 07:24 AM EDT

By Brett Martel
Associated Press

GRAMBLING, La. (AP) - Black and gold banners proclaiming ``100 Years of Excellence'' remain on lamp posts throughout the Grambling State University campus a year after the historically black school's centennial.

Such symbols of longevity seem to be needed reassurance at a time when the institution is struggling to overcome an episode of accounting incompetence so drawn out it now threatens to close the school.

``Sometimes I wake up at night, shaking, wondering, what if?'' says Helen Richards-Smith, dean of the university's honors college and a Grambling faculty member for most years since she graduated from here in 1944.

The campus of red bricks and white columns amid the piney hills of north Louisiana, founded by an association of black farmers in 1901, has been unable to provide financial statements deemed acceptable for a state audit since 1997. Such an audit is generally required in three consecutive years for reaccreditation, a process that occurs every 10 years and is now about two years past due at Grambling.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, an Atlanta-based national accrediting group, has placed Grambling on probation and has set a Sept. 16 deadline for an approved audit for the past two academic years.

If Grambling loses its accreditation, it will also lose federal funding including financial aid for its students - 90 percent of whom now receive this aid. If unaccredited, Grambling's degrees would lose value with graduate school admissions offices and professional licensing boards.

``We'd be out of business,'' says David Wright, a Grambling graduate who sits on the Louisiana university system's board of supervisors, which oversees the school. ``All over the country it would be a terrific blow because we have a lot alumni and friends of Grambling.''

Grambling is to black America as Notre Dame is to Roman Catholic America in the fierce loyalty it inspires among alumni and countless boosters, including many who've never set foot on campus.

In football, Grambling became synonymous with success under now-retired coaching icon Eddie Robinson.

The Grambling marching band's high-energy performances having included Super Bowl halftime shows and inaugurations of African presidents.

Grambling graduates hold management jobs at companies like Ford, Gannett, Cisco and Apple.

These accomplishments come despite the fact that many students are the first in their families to go to college and that many incoming students need remedial help. There is no minimum admission standard except a high school diploma.

The school's motto is: ``The place where everybody is somebody.''

The accounting mess - the latest in a series of financial problems including thefts and improper spending - has made it a place where everybody is anxious.

``None of my friends have left, but we were all talking about it,'' says Tamika Noble, 21, a senior studying sociology.

Still, she's certain the school has much support. ``They're not going to let Grambling close down.''

Reshawn Thomas, 20, a senior marketing major and Student Government Association treasurer who comes from a long line of Grambling graduates, says the looming accreditation question is ``everybody's top concern.''

State Legislative Auditor Dan Kyle has doubled the auditing staff he originally dispatched to help the school meet the deadline.

``They have an enormous task. Whether they can do it I cannot predict,'' Kyle says.

Describing the bad bookkeeping, Kyle says, ``It's like saying for accounts receivable, 'several different people owe me $10,000 combined, but I don't know who they are or how much each one owes.'''

Grambling officials acknowledge the accounting staff in recent years was undertrained. But the root of the problem, many say, was instability at the top. After having only three presidents in its first 90 years, Grambling is now on its sixth president since 1991. It has had seven vice presidents of finance since 1993.

Grambling has been ``fought over like a fiefdom by politically connected blacks,'' said Rick Gallot, a black state representative and a Grambling graduate.

His mother, Mildred Gallot, also a Grambling graduate and longtime history professor, adds that recent presidents ``seemed to have the attitude: 'I need my people in place _ people loyal to me.'''

One example was Steve Favors, a former Howard University administrator appointed Grambling's president in 1998.

Melvin Davis, Grambling's chief financial officer when the school received its last approved audit in 1997, said he felt alienated by Favors and took a better-paying job in 1999. Davis says he offered to help Grambling close its books for 1998 and 1999 anyway, so the school would be ready for its regularly scheduled re-accreditation in 2000. He was rebuffed.

Favors hired a new CFO, but he backed out before his first day of work and instead took a job in Florida.

A Grambling spokeswoman said requests for interviews with Favors, who remains on the faculty, had to go through her. The request was made and Favors did not respond.

After Favors was forced out in January 2001, the board appointed as acting president Neari Warner, a Grambling insider who was accomplished in academic affairs but lacked experience with certain administrative and financial matters.

``It made me wonder if they were setting her up for failure,'' Rep. Gallot said.

System president Sally Clausen said Warner accepted the job on an interim basis and so far has shown determination to take tough measures, including the firing of 126 employees, mostly administrative.

``The end result is that the legislative auditor now believes the right people are in place,'' Clausen said.

Last summer, Warner brought in Billy Owens, a former top financial officer with Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, as Grambling's new CFO, its first since Davis in 1999.

As to meeting the deadline, Owens said, ``What appeared to many one year ago as an impossibility now looks like a very real possibility.''

Warner also remains positive.

``I see these difficult situations as launching pads to higher standards of accountability and productivity,'' Warner said in a written response to questions from The Associated Press.

Grambling does not appear to have cash flow problems, say officials with the Louisiana Board of Regents, which oversees all state universities. Grambling receives about 20 percent more in state funding per student than the average for Louisiana's four-year campuses, in part because of a civil rights settlement that required the state to compensate for years of spending more on predominantly white than historically black colleges.

But the current crisis is only the latest in a series of financial embarrassments since 1993, when Kyle refused to express an opinion on the accuracy of Grambling's financial statements.

Kyle again deemed Grambling's financial statements unacceptable in 1994 and a year later came the accreditation group's warning.

A 1996 legislative audit reported a variety of irregularities, including:

$343,000 in uncollected debts;
thefts of computers and air conditioners worth $51,000;
$10,500 in scholarships given to unqualified high school graduates.
Trustees soon forced university president Raymond Hicks to resign. He left the school with a $3 million deficit, which officials said was caused largely by overestimating enrollment.

Enrollment dropped sharply - from 7,833 in fall 1993 to about 4,500 now - but officials say factors other than financial woes were the main cause. Most important, they say, were an effort to set higher admission standards, which has since been dropped, and
higher tuition for out-of-state students, which has been retained. Also, U.S. Rep. William
Jefferson, D-La., was paid $50,000 by Grambling to teach a class for Grambling credit in New Orleans which enrolled one student.

Then there was the transfer of public money - about $1.6 million - to the Grambling Foundation, the university's now-bankrupt private fund-raising arm.

Favors, the former Grambling president, has said the university trusted that the money it transferred to the foundation would be spent to benefit the school but had no control over it. Favors blamed problems on a foundation administrator from 1997 to 1999.

Kyle, the state audit chief, found that money meant for scholarships was instead spent on administrative costs and on the startup and operation of a short-lived sports bar. More than $1 million the foundation received from the annual Bayou Classic football game went to expenses, such as hotel rooms, receptions and limousine services.

Grambling's proceeds from the game were transferred to the foundation, which Kyle concluded failed to keep credible financial records and displayed ``a lack of integrity.'' No charges have been filed.

``Everybody wants to see Grambling become more accountable,'' says Herbert Simmons, director of alumni development. He termed the latest financial crisis ``a wakeup call.''

Simmons' bond to Grambling is strong. Raised by a grandmother who couldn't read or write, Simmons came to the school on a band scholarship and went on to become a lawyer.

The loss of Grambling ``would be unthinkable to me,'' he says. ``For 100 years we've been taking nobodys and turning them into somebodys ... Where would we be as a nation without Grambling?''

On the Net:

Grambling: http://www.gram.edu/
---------------------------------------------------

I am in total chock about this. What the heezy is going on with our HBCU's? My alma mater, Kentucky State University, is being investigated by the FBI on its accounting practices as well.!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

FBI investigates KSU spending
Probe follows ongoing audit of federal education funds
By Mark Pitsch
mpitsch@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Harry Lee Waterfield II, vice chairman of the KSU regents, said yesterday that FBI investigators were looking at travel vouchers and other university expenses.

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- The FBI is investigating spending at Kentucky State University and has asked the state auditor to assist in the probe. The investigation comes a month after the U.S. department of Education's Office of Inspector General opened an audit of KSU's use of federal education money, including funds intended to improve historically black universities.

The Education Department audit has been ongoing since June 17, three days before the KSU board of regents rescinded a three-year contract extension that had been voted the preceding November for President George Reid. The regents also placed Reid on administrative leave until June 30, when his contract expired.

Harry Lee Waterfield II, vice chairman of the KSU regents, said yesterday that the FBI was looking at travel vouchers and other university expenditures. ''I'm assuming that's on Dr. Reid,'' said Waterfield, who said he met with an FBI agent more than a month ago but wouldn't discuss the conversation.

Bill Pennell, KSU's chief financial officer, said he and several other
university employees met with FBI officials Wednesday and yesterday. He said the FBI asked to see documents that he declined to describe, but he said the investigation's focus was different from the Department of Education audit.

''What they were looking at has nothing to do with the audits that were going on or the cleanup that we have done,'' said Pennell, referring to an ongoing effort to get the university's finances in order.

Thomas Clay, Reid's lawyer, said he learned about the investigation from a reporter and that no one from the FBI or the state auditor's office contacted him or Reid. ''They should have all the look they want to'' into KSU finances, Clay said.

Reid did not respond to a request through Clay for an interview. Clay said Reid was at an undisclosed location.

As of late last night, the KSU board of regents was continuing to meet in private on a variety of topics but had not discussed the FBI investigation -- a matter that was not scheduled to be on the agenda -- in public session.

Jacqueline Bingham, KSU spokeswoman, said at least one FBI agent was on the Frankfort campus Wednesday and focused on the finance office and the president's office.

Paul Bibbins, KSU's interim president, would not comment. Bill Johnson, KSU's lawyer, and Arthur Moncrief, KSU's comptroller, also declined comment.

KSU's $47.1 million budget for the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2001, included $11.1 million in federal funding. Stephanie Robey, chief of staff for state Auditor Ed Hatchett, said yesterday that the FBI and Hatchett's office began a review of KSU records
on Wednesday.

Robey and Hatchett wouldn't reveal the nature of the investigation. Robey said she hoped the state auditor's work would be completed within a few weeks.

The FBI ''came to us a couple of weeks ago and asked us to help them, and we started our work over there yesterday,'' Robey said. ''They've asked that we do nothing more than acknowledge that there is work occurring and that we're there at their request.''

In a fiscal 1998-99 audit of KSU released in April 2001, Hatchett concluded the school's books were in such disarray that he could not determine KSU's financial health. A 1999 auditor's report found that Reid had used $300 from a $110,000 private gifts account at the university to pay for personal items, a parking ticket and a contribution to the United Way.

In May, The State Journal, a Frankfort newspaper, reported that Reid had taken 56 publicly funded out-of-state trips between January 2001 and March 2002 -- more than any other state university president and Gov. Paul Patton during the same period.

Robey said Clay Mason, a Frankfort FBI agent, is the lead investigator in the KSU probe. A call to the Frankfort FBI office was referred to an FBI spokesman in Louisville.

Patrick Bashore, a special agent in the Louisville FBI office, said
yesterday that he couldn't confirm or deny whether an investigation was under way.

Reid, hired as KSU's president in 1998, filed a lawsuit seeking unspecified damages against the university before being ousted, saying he was being punished as a whistle-blower.

In a May letter, Reid accused regents chairman Bill Wilson and Marlene Helm, a board member, of conflict of interest for also serving on the state's Committee on Equal Opportunities, which oversees higher education desegregation efforts. At meetings of the committee, Wilson and Helm do not vote on issues regarding KSU to avoid a conflict, a situation that Reid said has cost the university money.

In addition to the FBI investigation and the U.S. Department of Education audit, state lawmakers have said they want to review KSU's spending. The purpose of the Education Department audit is ''to examine institutional records; to conduct interviews; and to assure that established standards, rules, regulations and laws were followed,'' Carol Lynch, regional inspector general for audit in the Atlanta office of the department, wrote in a May 17 letter to Reid.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

From an alumnus

A PWI that is 30 miles EAST of Grambling is having the SAME woes as the institution. I am sure that at the National Convention in Atlanta there will be serious discussions going on.

THE ALUMNI AIN'T SLEEP! TRUST!

THERE ARE PWI IN THE SAME PREDICAMENT AS GRAMBLING AND OTHER HBCUs

Edit: Have you heard of the PWIs in the news? NOT!

Oh, those students leaving...they probably are not doing anything for the university anyway, probably not even paying students... LET THEM GO!

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 07-29-2002 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

That's right AKA2d'91!!! I am TIRED of our HBCU's being put in the media as if we can''t handle finances!!!!!!! However I must say that ANY and EVERY school has some type of cover up....for us its "incompetance" everyone else is "a mishap"!
My cousin graduated from Grambling and I would hate to see her practice threatened because her clients knew she graduated from Grambling.....Plus, Alcorn (pronounced ALL-corn) wouldn't have anybody's head to stomp
Old 07-29-2002, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

If I am correct, the stories were posted from the blackamericaweb.com, as reported by the AP. So, they are headline news as it relates to us because they are posted on a website for Blacks. Its posting is indeed relevant regardless of what other institutions are in the same predicament.

And although most Blakcs attend PWI, it would be unfortunate for those who prefer HBCUs to have one less choice for higher education. I have a friend who just graduated from Grambling and its sad that all of this was going on yet new students and returning students did not have the information so that they could have made different choices for their schooling.

Hopefully they will get things back on track.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The information has been out there for MONTHS. This is not NEW information. If they (the students) WANTED the information they could have gotten the information. The Ruston Daily Leader has something negative on Grambling dayum near EVERYDAY.... It has gotten local and statewide coverage. I guess they were in the union, in the cafe, asleep, or whatever when the information was being presented...

It does matter that PWI have these problems too. Who mentioned about preference? Like everything else, when PWI have the problems DO WE HEAR ABOUT IT....NO!

Edit: Let's not act as if GSU is the ONLY university on the planet with issues...c'mon now! That's what gets me PO.

LMAO@ ALL-CORN! I hate it when I hear AL-Corn!

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 07-29-2002 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI: When I posted this info it was not in a Nanny nanny boo boo I went to a PWI and look @ 2D's HBCU. . . I posted it because I think that any time an HBCU is on the board to be azed, shut down, etc. folks need to know about it. As an alumnus you would know about it sooner than I but please believe me I have tons of respect for HBCUs. There are times that I wish I went to an HBCU but having attended an all BLACK school system, I wanted to see things from another perspective.

To see Grambling dealing with this hurts because this is one less HBCU option that Black students have. For many Black students, an HBCU is their only alternative. So by me posting this again, it was not in an insulting manner.

I also agree at how a PWI can cover things up better or quickly rally the financial support than an HBCU can AT TIMES. Plus PWIs have, typically, larger endowments that they can tap into.

As an outsider, it is time for HBCUs not just Grambling to gain better control over their schools not just financially but who REALLY controls the school.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Well..

Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS
Questions:

How important is it to have only Black professors @ HBCUs?

How important is it to have tenured Black professors @ HBCUs?

Is it important enough that Black schools would openly and illegally deny qualified applicants?

I've never attended an HBCU so I have no perspective on this. But, if qualified applicants cannot be found, why should the students be denied a teacher?

And why, would these schools risk the threat of million-dollar lawsuits?
StraightBos good questions and I totally agree with the thought, however that same question can be reversed to some of the pwi ...The HBCU's in the state of MS won a lawsuit called the Ayers case (it was a case that involved the unequal distribution of money to the colleges and universities in the state of MS ...pwi got more money...you get the picture)but that money has yet to be distributed...It's all politics.... why should ANYONE be denied the right to go to a univ/college and recieve a good education blk or white? Notice that our TOP notch students and atheletes(esp.) are recruited to PWI usu. to fill a quota, is that in your best interest or do they really want you to go there?

CT4 with much respect, you said you didn't go to a HBCU ....because you wanted a view from a different perspective...I hear this comment ALOT ...college life whether it is a blk/whte one (university) IS a different perspective...Some people believe that HBCU's are just another group of blk folks with no diversity and it's simply not true! NONE of my instructors were BLACK and my BLACK brothers/sisters did NOT hook a sista up either! I had to work! They were harder on me than the PWI I went to after my 1st B.S.. Even I thought that a PWI would introduce me to more cultures but in fact I met more BLACK folks...not that I tried either....I would not give ONE day up for my beloved ALCORN for any PWI I went to there is no experience like it....If blks would concentrate on putting our resources back into our HBCU's like the PWI's we would attract more of them as well.

Last edited by miss priss; 07-30-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

WHY?

I agree with CT4's last comment. I also attended an HBCU and transferred to a PWI(one of the reasons being misplaced funds particularly mine). Why do people get so upset at folks who say they went to a PWI for a different experience?Yes college is a different experience but it may not be a POSITIVE experience.I also went through all black schools and is it so wrong to want to experience something different?The college I attended was just an extension of high school because that's what kind of mentality the students and the faculty had.Your experience may have been great, but don't knock other's experiences.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

hold up...

I'm not knockin her experiences at all...my point is that HBCU's get a very bad rap ...much like what you said that is or was " an extension of high school because that is what the mentality the faculty/students had"...believe me that statement alone damages the credibility of HBCU's....although your view may very well be a fact...I'm not doubting that...but if you look at it alll colleges can be considered as an extension of a high school...PWI's students typically have more problems with underage drinking, substance abuse, date rapes,etc. Those statistics are rarely publicized nor do they hype an investigation of these schools like they do our own....HBCU's suffer because of lack of funding by the state.... but do they emphasize or even harp on when our schools will receive equal funding?...NO...because it is not a concern....Alcorn's campus is absolutely beautiful because we are a land-grant university whose alum is quite active so we are pretty fortunate...but what about the millions of dollars we have been denied....HBCU's want to be agressive in recruiting students of ANY color...money talks though...so is it an experience or a perspective?...I think there is a fine line....who knows
Old 07-31-2002, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

???

My statement about the mentality of the students and the faculty doesn't damage HBCU'S because that's my opinion on 1 school.The school I attended LOST my tuition and found it some odd weeks later, but that shouldn't happen to thousands of students at a large university...and I do literally mean thousands.I also don't think ALL colleges feel like high school all over again but that's just my opinion.Yes HBCU'S receive poor funding and there is no argument about that.Regarding recruitment, I disagree. A lot of HBCU's are being forced to recruit students of other races or they will lose funding.They are giving away scholarships to whites, while our people don't receive the same fortune.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

well...

you are correct when you say that your opinion is for the school you chose..however, my point is that there are alot of people who have the same idea...but it doesn't mean that you are right or wrong and believe me I really understand about the money thang...unfortunately some people tend to generalize HBCU's and they are labeled as unorganized, understaffed,and uninfluential in terms of a college degree....Not only that white students have every opportunity to apply to HBCU's as well they have never been denied to do so...but I guess that it's their choice NOT to go...but the whole recruitment thing is just a role reversal played by PWI's to take away more funding from the HBCU's that they have not recieved....PWI's have to recruit us for the very same reasons and their gripes are just as you said ..."it is not fair" in essence....How many White people have you seen that say I want to go to XXX school (HBCU) for a different perspective? People in general white/black/asian or otherwise should chose simply because it's a good school...However you must consider how people define a "good" school.....just a thought
Old 08-11-2002, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

from BlackAmerica Web

Minority enrollment increasing at Texas colleges
08/08/2002 09:40 PM EDT

AUSTIN (AP) - Texas colleges and universities are enrolling more minorities, but not at a pace to keep up with state goals or booming population growth.

School administrators and state officials say they are working to lure more minorities in the wake of Hopwood, the 1996 court decision that banned colleges and universities from considering race in admissions.

Since 1992, black and Hispanic enrollment at Texas colleges has grown more than 67 percent, to 340,000 in 2000. Nationally, that figure has grown about 63 percent from 1988 to 1998, according to the American Council on Education.

But the proportion of minority students has stayed mostly flat at many of Texas' public four-year universities. The problem is especially acute at the state's flagships, University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M.

More than 50,000 new students enrolled in a Texas higher education institution last year, the largest number of new enrollees in more than 25 years.

Nearly two-thirds of those new enrollees were minorities. About 15,419 were Hispanic, but that is still about 5,000 short of state goals, according to a recent report from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Enrollment of blacks at four-year institutions is up 21 percent since 1992, but Hopwood has had an impact, the Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday.

``We're glad to see the increase, but when you go in and specifically look at our targets we've given ourselves, we can't be too optimistic,'' said David Gardner, the Coordinating Board's assistant commissioner for planning and information resources.

Texas education officials in 1999 drafted a higher education plan called Closing the Gaps that called for a statewide enrollment of 1.5 million students by 2015 and set goals for increases in research funding, graduation rates and the quality of institutions and degree programs.

Statewide enrollment last year was at about 1.1 million, an increase from the previous year. But without the ability to consider race in admissions, administrators say, efforts to attract minorities have been hampered.

Much of last year's growth was at institutions in South Texas and at community colleges. Colleges in the Houston and Dallas areas were particularly successful in attracting minority students.

The University of Houston and the University of North Texas have seen minority enrollment rise more than 60 percent in the past 10 years.

Administrators at the University of Houston say they benefit from location. More than 40 percent of Harris county residents are ethnic minorities.

Administrators also turn to local community colleges as feeder schools as well as to Texas Southern University, a historically black institution.

``We are what many American universities are going to have to look like in the years ahead, if the population of the U.S. is going to be served,'' said Arthur Smith, University of Houston president and system chancellor.

But UT and A&M, which are not located in communities with large minority populations, are having a harder time. Since the Hopwood decision, black enrollment has dropped 16 percent at UT and 14 percent at A&M. Hispanic enrollment has not been affected as dramatically.

UT President Larry Faulkner said most of the decrease in enrollment by blacks was in graduate and professional programs, diluting the overall picture.

Augustine Garza, deputy director of admissions, said the decrease could be linked to an applications process, started in 1997, that requires applicants to write three essays. The university received fewer applications in all ethnic categories.

Faulkner said the university has been working on solutions.

``Everything we've tried has not worked. We just have to keep working. I remain concerned about participation among graduate students,'' he said.

This fall, A&M is redoubling its efforts to attract minorities. Counselors are touting the accessibility of the university, financial aid programs and other opportunities, such as the TEXAS grant program.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

You cannot believe EVERYTHING you read.

As you are aware, the national convention was held in Atlanta August 1-4, 2002. The following national officers were elected:

President - James Bradford
Vice-President - Bobby Rabon
Secretary - Betty White
Treasurer - Netria Joe
Financial Secretary - Willie Critton
Business Manager - Birdex Copeland, Jr.
Parlimentarian - Freddie Colston

We're sure you are aware of the many negative things that are being reported about GSU. There was a report that the school was closing, which is a lie. Brett Martel, of the Associated Press asked for and was granted an interview by Ms. Vickie Jackson of the school's Office of Communications and Public Affairs. Mr. Martel indicated that he wanted to interview students, faculty and other staff members to determine their feelings regarding the accreditation issue. Instead of writing the article he said he would write, Mr. Martel wrote a misleading story filled with lies. The Tom Joyner Morning Show took Mr. Martel's article off the AP wire and reported it as if was fact. Needless to say, this article and the reporting of it in the news media has caused great harm to the school.

We need your help. We are asking all GSU alumnus to write letters expressing your outrage at the lies printed about OUR SCHOOL. We are attaching a sample letter with details of Mr. Martel's story for your use as you write your letters. According to Mr. Herbert Simmons of GSU's Office of Alumni Affairs, we should write the letters before August 20, 2002. Please, please write letters to the Editor of the Associated Press in New Orleans and to the Tom Joyner Show. We do not have an address for the Tom Joyner Show, however, you can email him if you pull up his website on the internet. Search for: The Tom Joyner Show. This is our school. We can not allow anyone to discredit it, discount it's value to the Black community, dismiss it's rich history and write lies about Grambling State University without fear of retalitation from us. None of us want to be graduates of a school which no longer exists. If we don't fight this, there is a real possibility that this could happen given the negative publicity the school is receiving at this time. We want to see GSU remain as it is and not a two-year school or a school that is a part of the university system of Louisiana, but, no longer Grambling State University. WE MUST SHOW BRETT MARTEL THAT GRAMBLING'S ALUMNUS CARES DEEPLY FOR OUR SCHOOL AND WE RESENT HIS DEPICTION OF OUR SCHOOL IN HIS ARTICLE. We're counting on you.

An email sent out to GSU ALUM...