GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,401
0 members and 1,401 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Just acquired my oldest badge, a sweet little plain gold founders badge from a now closed chapter. I will wear it on Badge Day and think of a Kappa Delta named Beth who first wore it in 1918, pledging to the same values and purpose I did 3 generations later.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Just acquired my oldest badge, a sweet little plain gold founders badge from a now closed chapter. I will wear it on Badge Day and think of a Kappa Delta named Beth who first wore it in 1918, pledging to the same values and purpose I did 3 generations later.
Nice.

I have an all pearl pin from 1921 that I'm going to wear on Monday. It's my favorite.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

For those of you who have acquired vintage badges with chapter guards, do you wear that chapter guard (for a chapter that is not your own) or do you remove it? I'm torn.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
For those of you who have acquired vintage badges with chapter guards, do you wear that chapter guard (for a chapter that is not your own) or do you remove it? I'm torn.
I only have one badge with a chapter guard that's not mine, but I like wearing it-it reminds me of how much larger ADPi is than just my chapter. It's also a closed chapter that I don't see us ever recolonizing so that give me an extra connection to it. Plus, I don't know what I'd do with it if I removed it.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 02-28-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
I was the other bidder. Sorry for raising the price. I'd really like to acquire a vintage plain pin eventually. It's shocking that plain versions are no longer available, and I'm still beating myself up, over 20 years later, for losing my original plain pin.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Shellfish, sorry to bid agin' ya. Hopefully you will find that great plain vintage badge. I have a plain one from the 50s that is so tiny, it is amazing and slightly freakish. I have never seen one so small--perfect detail, but about 1/4 inch. I have some from the 20's in pearls, but the 1918 is my oldest. I have a directory from 1920, and thrilled that this woman from Wisconsin is listed in there as initiating in 1918, so a founding sister. Another member of that founding pledge class of Psi Chapter was Olga Achtenhagen, who later served as Kappa Delta's national President.

I do leave the guards on vintage pins when I wear them. It honors the sister who originally wore it, and as Clemsongirl says, it is a great reminder of how much more we are than our own chapter. In the case of a closed chapter, it's bittersweet. I am leaving all of my vintage pins and memorabilia to the original chapter, if still open, to use as a president's or pass down pin, or to HDQ upon my death or dementia, whichever comes first, lol. Unless I have a KD granddaughter, then she gets it all.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
I take them off, which is sort of a shame, because a couple of them were really nice.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I'll wear my badge, although it looks like now I'll be stuck in the house instead of going to work since we're getting nailed with another snowstorm Monday. I hope the cat and husband appreciate it since no one else will see it!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
I guess I'll wear my badge, although it looks like now I'll be stuck in the house instead of going to work since we're getting nailed with another snowstorm Monday. I hope the cat and husband appreciate it since no one else will see it!
Same here, but the big storm is due to hit us Sunday/Monday. I love wearing my pin to work - the kids I teach always ask questions about it since I'm not big on wearing jewelry to school and they tend to take notice especially when I wear a unique piece. I also love telling them that the Gamma Phi badge was designed by Tiffany & Co.and was voted "Most Beautiful Badge" by the NPC. Looks like I won't get to share those fun facts with them this year if the forecast holds.

Last edited by indygphib; 02-28-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygphib View Post
Same here, but the big storm is due to hit us Sunday/Monday.
Same here. I'm playing it safe and staying home on Monday.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to get pretty for Badge Day!

Is the day officially NPC Badge Day? I'd love to see other councils officially back this, since (well according to GC) were supporting the cause across councils.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll wear mine with pride to my Eastern Star meeting on Mon. I'll put it highest above my OES pins. It's good to get another opportunity to wear it, though I wear it to church often. ( there are 4 other Gamma Phis at my church)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I'm going to get pretty for Badge Day!

Is the day officially NPC Badge Day? I'd love to see other councils officially back this, since (well according to GC) were supporting the cause across councils.
NPC encourages ALL Greeks to wear their badges . . . but of course they can only make it official for their group.

The more, the merrier, I say!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting my badge ready . . .