GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,195
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,202
1 members and 1,201 guests
John

Old 01-08-2002, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking witha few people who had Rho Chi /Pharmacy at their school, there was some confusion with PNM - some girls would show up at their chapter room saying "Okay I'm ready to go!"

Well - in any event, PNM's will better understand "Recruitment Counsellor" than "Rho Chi" ("like, what the hell is a Rho Chi - a jellied donut?" - no kidding - that's what a PNM said to me once)
Old 01-08-2002, 08:30 PM

You guys, this isn't a laughing matter. One of my sisters wrote "I Love ASA!" on the sidewalk with chalk, and the American Statistical Association opened up a can of whup ass on her right there.

But seriously...I agree with dzrose, even though it's biologically impossible, NPC really needs to grow a pair of balls.

I think if people put it on their resume, they probably put it as "Sorority Recruitment Counselor" or no one would know what they meant (same reason I always noted that APO was a national service fraternity). Maybe if we still called it Rush, rush counselor wouldn't be such a mouthful to say and we could avoid the Rho Chi thing like amycat said.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 PM

Groan. I was a Rho Chi!

I've been out of school long enough that it's not on my resume any more, but I think I did list myself as a recruitment counselor under the list of AEPhi offices I'd held. No one outside the NPC sorority world would necessarily know what a Rho Chi was.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb eeeek

a bunch about verbage...
pc goes only so far
mmcat
Old 01-09-2002, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

So lets add another 20 pages to the big green manual...

This is exactly how the NPC recruitment rules got to be about 300 pages.

And yet NPC officers dont understand why fraternity men look at the female recuitment process with awe and befuddlement.

Old 01-09-2002, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
Actually, I can see a reason. if a person's resume listed Rho Chi on it, the employer would most likely assume it to be the Professional Pharmacy organization rather than a Recruitment Counselor.
I don't know of anyone who would put Rho Chi on their resume, though. It's not an organization that anyone is a member of... it's just a brief position that is held during Rush. If you're going to put something Greek on your resume, it would be under extracurricular activities, and it would be your sorority or fraternity name plus MAYBE any executive board offices you held. I seriously doubt Rho Chi would ever come into play because most employers wouldn't have a clue as to what it means.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
I've heard of it happening, esp. in the south, esp. for woman employers. I mean a Rho Chi is to be someone responsible, trustworthy, etc.
I do understand your point, Tibi, and I guess it's a possibility. However, I live in the South and was actually told NOT to put Greek information on my resume unless I had held a leadership position on exec. board AND participated in other extracurricular offices on campus. Since I was President of my chapter and also a member of the Marketing Club and reporter for the school paper, I decided to add it. But, had I been a Rho Chi, I would probably have either a) left it off the resume completely or b) stated that I was a "peer counselor". Since the term "Rho Chi" means little to people outside of sorority life, it would serve no purpose (to me) on a resume.

That's why I was saying that there is slim to no chance that a Rho Chi Society member would ever be confused with a Rho Chi for Rush.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't think it is right of this organization to ask NPC to change the term "Rho Chi". This term has stuck with all of us for so many years, and there is so much tradition behind it. Also, I agree with the many people that say that this term won't faze out. The reason for that is because it has been around so long. Anyway, can't these names co-exist? I really don't think there is any confusion between the two... but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I wouldn't put any sorority positions and/or PH positions on my resume. Maybe the first job I got, but not now.

I was on PH for 3.5 years and although I learned so much from it, it might confuse people who are not familiar with the system.

I would put down under community service/phialnthropy current alumnae positions and hopefully that would prompt a question regarding my KD lif and then I could get into college experience.

I don't think any future employer would be impressed that I was a Rho Chi or anything else, they want to see what extra you do know and since I am a year out of school it is current experience that matters not past college experience.

Back to the original question: Although it would be weird to not call us Rho Chis, we did change the word Rush and that seems to work well as Recruitment so I have faith in the NPC women that it is a good idea as well.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I have a question. I've seen those officer recognition dangle thingies (whatever they're called) that people wear with their badges. The one for Rho Chi is, simply, the Greek letters Rho and Chi. Are they going to have to change this? I can just picture all these poor women walking around with these huge dangles that say "recruitment counselor" on them. Geez.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Okay, I have a question. I've seen those officer recognition dangle thingies (whatever they're called) that people wear with their badges. The one for Rho Chi is, simply, the Greek letters Rho and Chi. Are they going to have to change this? I can just picture all these poor women walking around with these huge dangles that say "recruitment counselor" on them. Geez.
Yes, they'll probably make them change the dangle to some other symbol. Stupid, stupid, stupid if you ask me! I mean, hello, we ARE Greek Letter Organizations. It makes sense that when we abbreviate a title, we're going to use Greek letters in the abbreviation. Rush Counselor naturally translates to Rho Chi in the Greek alphabet. This whole thing is just ridiculous.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. What's next? I don't know that much about the organization NPC itself, but why don't they just say no, we won't do it? I guess that's the $100,000 question...
Old 01-09-2002, 09:21 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
those officer recognition dangle thingies (whatever they're called)
valkyrie,

Please refer to it by its proper name...recruitment counselor recognition ornamentation.

Just because I like you, I'll let you slide this time.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I think we're going to use Pi Rho Chi this fall. I don't know if this is common practice, but the recruitment couselors-formerly-know-as-PXs wore greek lettered shirts just like the lettered shirts we wear with our respective orgs on them. I guess it's cute b/c there's phi rho chi and pi rho chi (fraternity and panhellenic recruitment/rush couselor)
I thought we should change it to Rho Gamma (recruitment guide), but hey whatever man.
H
Old 01-10-2002, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Ok, this is a completely random thought that I had when I read this. Many moons ago when I was at LSU, there were two fraternity houses that burned down within a few months of each other. After the second house burned, the editorial cartoon in The Reveille showed a picture of a burning house with the letters Pi Rho on it. There were several "Pi Rhos" roasting marshmellows in the flames. I thought that was so wrong, but yet I couldn't help laughing.

Quote:
Originally posted by HeidiHo
I think we're going to use Pi Rho Chi this fall.
H