GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,311
4 members and 1,307 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 01-08-2002, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Today has been a lot of fun. We did a rush workshop with Delta Gamma, and it really made a difference. I think I'm finally rested assured that I won't be a horrible rusher. Yeah!

Right now we're working on decorations for our 4-Party (which is skit night). Luckily my group has an easy project to work on because I have skit practice tonight, and I have to clean my room. There is soo much to get done, and it doesn't feel like there is enough time. I never realized when I went through rush how much work the sorority girls put into it! But it'll be worth it. Tomorrow is our last day to prepare before we start rushing girls. I'm so excited! Sorry I don't have much to report on, but this past few days have just been the same practices over and over again. I'll keep you updated!
Old 01-08-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, it all sounds so hectic but really fun! You will do wonderfully, and I can't wait to hear your stories! Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb hang in

we love it!!!

mmcat
Old 01-09-2002, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

This is such a good idea! So many girls will read this and understand that they are't the only ones under pressure. I really think it will help them feel a little more at ease.

I think you will be wonderful! Anyone who cares and puts forth as much effort as this will make a difference!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks justamom! That was one of my intentions when I started this thread. When I went through formal rush I had no idea whatsoever on how much effort it takes to put on a good rush.

LOL Ok my tip for today. Girls, if you're a rusher (well it goes for if you're rushing as well!) make sure you get enough sleep! Anyway, things are really getting hectic over here because rush starts tomorrow. However, things are starting to pull together. We finally got our stage for the skit. One small problem: there is something wrong with the connections so not only does the stage rock back and forth but it's loud. I'm really worried that the stage is going to break during the skit, but I'm sure we're going to take care of it tonight during practice. Well, tonight is the last run through of everything, and then rush starts! I am feeling totally confident and ready to go! (But I will say that I'm scared of our stairs. LOL It sounds stupid, but we all have to line up on our staircase and sing as the girls come into our house. The scary thing is the steps are VERY narrow and in heels it's very easy to slip.) I will try to log on after rush tomorrow tomorrow and report back any good stories if they happen.

Oh, and one more thing. Girls, if you're rushing, realize that until Bid Day we are ALL under silent period. (Well my school at least. I assume most places forbid communication between rusher/rushee outside of rush). A bunch of my sisters and I went to buy books today, and a friend of my roomie came up to us and asked about rush. We kept trying to tell her we couldn't talk to her, but I honestly think she was slightly offended that she couldn't talk to us!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:23 PM

ugh, I remember what a pain Strict Silence (btwn end of pref and bid night) was. For those 24 hours, we pretty much just tried to hide in the house - it was easier.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:01 PM

Oh yes... I remember strict silence We had strict silence throughout all of rush. I'm convinced we lost a couple of potential members because of it one year - a bunch of us ran into them at dinner one night and we couldn't talk to them at all and I think they were offended... I think those rules have been relaxed at my school, though - you're allowed to talk to rushees just long enough to explain that you aren't allowed to talk to them (as strange as that sounds).
Old 01-13-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys for not being able to post earlier. I've been sooo busy with rush! I'm really surprised by how fast rush seemed to go. 8 Party flew by so fast for me. I met a lot of great girls, and only met one girl who I couldn't stand. I don't really remember a lot about that party because it was a few days ago. However, I have to say that yesterday was the best day of rush. It was our skit night. We totally rewrote it and worked for almost a week, and from what I heard it was one of the best skits on campus. The skit was called Pi Phi Through the Ages. I played the rushee going through rush, and my best friend played the grandma who was a Pi Phi in the '50s. It was a rush for me because I'm not usually the type of person to act, but I did it! LOL It was an exhilerationg experience, especially when my sisters stood up and gave us a standing ovation! The best news for my house came this morning. Out of the 90 some girls who we invited back for pref 58 accepted. I was sooo proud of my sisters! Like I've mentioned before, my house is smaller than the rest on campus so we have to work hard. I mean we were literally not prepared for so many girls to come back. We had to make some last minute calls to our alums so they could help with decorations. For pref night we decorated with the theme "Pi Phi Heaven". We blew up around 600+ white balloons and had them on our formal ceiling. White lights and white tule surrounded the room and our staircase. I remember what it looked like as a rushee last year, and I assure you it was beautiful! I only rushed one girl tonight out of the two parties we had. It is a long, long story, but I was paired with someone who I soon discovered was not right for my house. One side note. I had a speaking part during our Pref Night ceremony. Oh man. During the second party I really screwed it up. Afterwards I turned to one of my sisters. She gave me a hug saying it's ok and that I'm a really sweet person. The next thing I know she's crying so of course I start crying. Thank goodness I didn't have a girl or else I may have looked silly crying over a hug! It was really emotional for me because over this past week of rush preparation I have really, really bonded with my fellow sisters. Although rush can be stressful I'm glad I had the opportunity to participate in it. We get the list of who comes back tomorrow morning, and I can't wait to see who comes running to us! When we get back from Bid Day I'll be sure to come on and update you all. Again, I'm sorry about the lack of posting. I'm sure you all understand how busy rush can be!
Old 01-13-2002, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Don't worry...rushees don't care if you cry or mess up a speech...they are scared as it is! FYI: My sorority had a candalabra catch on fire during the first pref party this fall...I mean, towering flames, it was scary. Girls in the chapter were so upset. I told them, that it would help the rushees to see how we work as a team, we are "real" etc. We got our whole first list...so yes, everything does not have to go perfectly for them to love you, sometimes it's the things that are imperfect that they love you for!
Old 01-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

About 5 years ago, the Pi Phi house caught fire during prefs at UGa. It had to be evacuated and somehow they moved prefs to the fraternity house across the street. The rushees were so impressed by the girls' sisterhood and Pi Phi took an incredible pledge class!
Old 01-13-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Well we now have 18 wonderful girls in my house! I absolutely love them all, and I met a lot of them during rush. We had soo much fun tonight! I'm very proud that I get to be their pledge educator, and I know we're going to have a blast over these next 7 weeks!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

YEA FOR INDIANA GAMMA!!!!!

Congratulations on all your hard work and bringing those fabulous new sisters into our bond!!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

congrats!!! Your girls will have a ball!!!
Old 01-14-2002, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up you did well

have a blast the next seven weeks.
mmcat