GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,283
1 members and 1,282 guests
mumom

Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You could say that. I don't see the baggy tanks going away. The new thing is sports bras, in neon of course, with letters on them. I think they are just getting starting..just when you think it can't get any brighter...
Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
Here's the deal. Yes, you can go to round up and plenty of HS Seniors do. In order to get a wristband, you have to show a college ID, I won't discuss how, but people get around this all the time. IF you go, and I am stressing the word IF, behave. IMO, roundup can do more harm than good, with only one behavioral mistake. So tread wisely and go only if you feel you are in complete control of your own behavior. And good luck.
Oh how the temptation must be overwhelming for HS students. I agree that this would probably not bode well for them. But if they can get around it they will try.

To the thread poster, don't do it. It will, in all probability, only hurt your chances of getting into a Fraternity. I see nothing good coming from your attendance as the college students will resent your presence at their party if they find out.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
You could say that. I don't see the baggy tanks going away. The new thing is sports bras, in neon of course, with letters on them. I think they are just getting starting..just when you think it can't get any brighter...
OH Dear Lord no. Please no. Ick.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
OH Dear Lord no. Please no. Ick.
Agreed. This is incredibly disrespectful to our letters.

What exactly is the reason for this roundup anyway? A big Greek party weekend?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me explain about the bras...the letters are on the sides so when the baggy tees show the edge of the sports bra...(normally neon and VERY full coverage) you see the letters...the purpose of round up...yeah...a BIG celebration of Greek life. Greeks from all the major Texas universities...(Texas State, A & M, TCU, SMU...etc) come for the weekend. Frats hire pretty big names rap stars to have concerts, they sell the tickets and money goes to their service organization. The sororities also hold events revolving around food to do the same...a bbq, mexican food, etc. I have heard a figure of $50,000-$75,000 spent by frats to host these concerts, hire security, have beer, punch, whatever...but I am SO out of lane I have no *proof* of those figures. It is a very large recruitment push for the frats for the next school year. They try to out do each other for each party to show they are better....you know the syndrome.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the reason the frats do this is create these videos...example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S0RHow7sXU

And then they use them to promote their houses for rush events. The sororities use it as an opportunity to promote their unity by dressing alike in "round up gear" which are coordinated outfits from wind shorts, bike shorts, socks, baggy tanks..etc and they have certain outfits they wear each day. The frat guys buy this merchandise too....but they buy it blind as the actual gear is a highly held secret until the day it debuts. Beyond gear there are croakies, flasks, medallions, beads, the list goes on and on and on. I personally believe houses love it when their jerseys show up on the rap stars or when the singers wear their medallions, etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Roundup is a recruiting event along with being a big greek party event. It just is, and has been since before I was in high school.

Summer rush goes on during the summer before you start in the fall, there will be events during all of the orientation weekends. There are some big name events, like Fiji Island, Foam, etc, but there will be "late nights' every night during the orientations.

There is no formal rush week or anything in the fall for fraternities at Texas. Most bids are given out at "Austin State" weekend which is before school starts.

Most of the houses have websites where you can get an email for a rush captain, there will be rush captains in most of the big Texas cities. Email a rush captain and they will put you on the rush list. That's how you'll get invited to events.

It is harder to get on some rush lists than others. Start contacting people late fall, any earlier and it is a waste of time, but if they get you on the lists prior to Xmas formals, you may be invited.

My sons started going to events starting with Xmas formals, then all through the spring, including Roundup, then summer rush events, then got bids at Austin State. This was in 2007 and 2010, so it hasn't changed.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
My sons started going to events starting with Xmas formals
What? Do you mean they went to a fraternity's formal and took a date? Isn't that kind of intrusive as to what should be a special evening for brothers and dates only? (Not to mention, did they get to do this for FREE??)

Or do you mean they were dates of sorority members who needed them at sorority formals?

This agreeably consorting (i.e. they didn't lie and say they went to another college or something to sneak in to events) w/ HS students in any way is just very odd for me to wrap my brain around. I guess our longstanding Draconian liquor laws have something to do with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What? Do you mean they went to a fraternity's formal and took a date? Isn't that kind of intrusive as to what should be a special evening for brothers and dates only? (Not to mention, did they get to do this for FREE??)

Or do you mean they were dates of sorority members who needed them at sorority formals?

This agreeably consorting (i.e. they didn't lie and say they went to another college or something to sneak in to events) w/ HS students in any way is just very odd for me to wrap my brain around. I guess our longstanding Draconian liquor laws have something to do with it.
UT Fraternity Christmas Formals =/= regular school fraternity formals. Indescribable really (at least in the late 90's it was) in terms of scope and build out at the houses. Yes, it is a rush event, yes they bring dates (possible PNM's) and yes, they don't pay. Pretty sure that hasn't changed in the last 20 years, but I'm going to let srmom confirm that. Again, it's a touch-and-go situation for a PNM (both male and female) to attend as a HS Senior. Danger Will Robinson...
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

My sons didn't bring dates, but pretty much all of their friends went, guys and girls, just in a gang (like they tend to do - run in packs).

Anyway, like Shirley said, the builds are incredible for Xmas formals (they want to show it off), and they are not like a formal where everyone has a date. The way it works is the fraternity guys usually go with their dates in large groups (like by pledge class) to a swanky restaurant downtown, (for some events like parent's weekend or spring formals the parents are invited and go too and of course get hit up for the dinner tabs ) then get to the house around 11:30. The hs kids just meet up at the houses, and will go from one formal to the other.

It is used as a recruiting event, therefore it is free - dues pay for everything, that, along with social dues. If you knew what the recruiting budget is for these houses, you wouldn't be surprised that they foot the bill for recruits.

As for the drinking - all the houses have security (at least my sons' fraternity) does, and they also hire contract bartenders to dispense the alchohol. This is to try to combat the underage drinking, and to limit liability, but how well it works, I don't know. When we've been to events, I've seen the bartenders check Id's but I've seen kids I know are not 21 with a drink in hand. so....

Last edited by srmom; 08-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

For starters, A LOT has changed this year for Round Up. In the past, every sorority and fraternity hosted HS kids. This year, many sororities did not because UPC threatened us with pretty severe consequences. Fraternities still found ways to get guys in though, as they are the ones in charge of handing out the wristbands.

IMO, for guys, if you do not go to round up, you are very unlikely to get a bid to most of the top fraternities. Most fraternities do ALL of their rushing during the summer. If you are interested, get in contact with them sooner rather than later. Fiji Island was last weekend and a lot of the HS guys there already had bids.

Pineapple is right in that fraternities spend BIG money on round up, both as a recruitment thing and it is Texas's version of 'homecoming' since we don't have that.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybananas View Post
regrettably i do not know anyone. :/

just wondering, do high school kids go to round up ?
Yes they do.

Go to round up.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke