Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,259
1 members and 1,258 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward*bound View Post
I absolutely agree with this. As Greeks, we understand the meaning behind badges and the significance of wearing them. I don't think the average non-Greek understands any of that.

I lost my mother when I was a very young adult. It's hard to express how much comfort I received from wearing her jewelry, and I can understand how it may make your colleague feel.

She's probably unaware of our alumnae initiation program. Although I obviously don't know her personally, given her tie to our sorority, ties to your school, and professional accomplishments, she sounds like the kind of candidate we might be interested in approaching.

Good luck! I'm eager to learn how things turn out.
Before I e-mailed her, I spoke with another sister/faculty member who I thought might know her...she said she was "nice" and although she didn't know her well or know about the badge, she said to use her name when I contacted her.

I heard back from her this morning, and I believe her situation is very similar to yours, homeward*bound. She lost her mother to cancer several years ago and she wears the badge in her memory. I don't think she realizes that wearing the badge is inappropriate.

She suggested meeting for lunch or coffee, so that will be the next step. I think it is looking positive.

I sponsored an AI a couple years ago, so I am familiar with the process, and it is involved.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I think this could end up being a very wonderful story.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I sponsored an AI a couple years ago, so I am familiar with the process, and it is involved.
I'd like to compliment on the way that you are handling it. Of all of the possible situations that might fall under "Perp", this is about as good as it can be.

For organizations without AI (like mine), I think my first positive thought would be having the women become an advisor to a chapter at the school, which would also give the right to wear the badge. I don't know if that is another possible solution with G Phi B.

Whether a chapter service project related to the type of cancer than her mother died from would make her feel more comfortable or if it would be viewed as "sucking up" would be something that would have to be decided after meeting with her.

Again, keep us informed of what happens, I'm curious as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Only initiated members may wear our badge.

I know of several alumnae initiates who went on to become chapter advisers.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Only initiated members may wear our badge.

I know of several alumnae initiates who went on to become chapter advisers.
Hmm. Advisors are not initiated members of Gamma Phi Beta? From a Risk Management standard, I'd want Advisors to be able to attend all rituals, but perhaps G Phi B has made another choice.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she meant that thet AIs advised as well and were not just regular alumnae members.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Naraht had seemed to indicate that becoming an adviser might be a solution to the issue of a non-member wearing the badge - I was clarifying that only initiated members may wear the badge. Chapter advisers would be members - but it is possible that a faculty adviser might not be, and so I didn't want to unilaterally say that ALL advisers are necessarily members.

I also spoke of alumnae initiates who, after initiation, became chapter advisers.

Is that now clear as mud?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Naraht had seemed to indicate that becoming an adviser might be a solution to the issue of a non-member wearing the badge - I was clarifying that only initiated members may wear the badge. Chapter advisers would be members - but it is possible that a faculty adviser might not be, and so I didn't want to unilaterally say that ALL advisers are necessarily members.

I also spoke of alumnae initiates who, after initiation, became chapter advisers.

Is that now clear as mud?
Clear as mud.

It appears that we are working from different terminology. It appears that in Gamma Phi Beta that Chapter Advisers and Faculty Advisers are two separate groups, as opposed to the experience with my fraternity where Faculty Advisers are a subset of the Chapter Advisers.

So this woman could become a faculty adviser to the G Phi B chapter without being initiated and thus still not have the right to wear the badge. After being a Alumni Initiate, she could be either of the types of Advisers.

(And since chapter advisers always are G Phi B members, there are advisers who attend rituals)

Do I have the correct understanding now?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, to the best of my knowledge and experience.

I will try to root around the G Phi B website to see if I can find anything definitive, or any of my sisters who can quote chapter and verse can certainly weigh in on the standing rules regarding advisers.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll chime in on this lane swerve...Faculty Advisor is not a Gamma Phi Beta position; it's not a position title we use. We use Chapter Advisor and then we have various advisors to exec./other elected positions, if enough alumnae are available to serve.

However, Faculty Advisor is an official role that my university requires for all recognized campus organizations. In my case, I do that role on top of my internal GPB advisory board position. I have to sign off when the chapter wants to reserve campus facilities for events, I am sent their grades each semester, and I'm supposed to make sure they're following campus policies. I have a faculty friend who is a Delta Zeta, and she is their Faculty Advisor. Neither of us is THE main, internal Chapter Advisor.

I don't think the university cares about the affiliation of the Faculty Advisor...they just want someone on staff to oversee the groups/be the point person. There are probably universities that don't even require this role, but I don't know. I would think that GLOs would want a member serving in this role whenever possible. As far as official GPB advisors go, they must be members, and members who initiated as undergraduates or through AI are equal in status, rights, etc. There is no differentiation once you're initiated. And, only initiated members are allowed to wear our badge...and that swerves us back to the dilemma....

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Sciencewoman - faculty advisors have been required by the two universities with which I have worked but I could not remember if they were an IHQ requirement as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post

She suggested meeting for lunch or coffee, so that will be the next step. I think it is looking positive.
Have you had that lunch or coffee meeting yet?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I was at our Convention and now it's July 4th...I plan to try to set it up next week.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Faculty advisors are not an IH requirement and in some cases chapters (and alumnae) see them as "spying" for the school.