GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,451
3 members and 1,448 guests
Cookiez17, shadokat

Old 11-28-2001, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I started organ lessons when I was about 10. Still love to hear it being played, but never really grew to like it as a performer, if you know what I mean!

From 6th grade on, it was all about....percussion instruments, for sure! Anything I could hit a stick or mallet with, I did!

Took up the French horn in 8th grade (while still playing percussion) - it took me one week to even get a sound out of the thing. When it finally happened, it wasn't pretty! For at least the first 3 months I sounded like a cow in heat....my poor parents and band instructor! Happy ending though - I did wind up playing first chair during most of my high school career! I still love the French horn and wish it didn't cost so darn much - I'd buy one and start playing again, absolutely!

Most recently, I have started HARP lessons (ANOTHER percussion instrument, to my surprise...). It's an expensive instrument, and private lessons are a small fortune, too! Wish me luck....I had a harpist at my wedding and have been dreaming of this ever since!
Old 11-28-2001, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I am graduating in May with my music degree and I play the trombone and the euphonium. My senior recital is actually tonight! I am freaking out with nervousness, which is why I am up so early today. I am sick with a sinus infection and bronchitis to boot, but I am not going to let that keep me from playing because after today, I never have to play again if I don't want to. However I DO want to, just not professionally. I am going to be a band director. Oh and I did have to pass the piano proficiency, but we all know that that means little about my actual ABILITY to play piano
Old 11-28-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Musicians?

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01
Hey, Do any of you ladies and gents play an instrument? It would be nice to know if there are other musicians in the house.
I play the piano! My favorite pieces to play are by Chopin..however, i write a lot of my own music (instrumental) on my spare time.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

• piano
  • guitar
  • tuba
  • harmonica
  • euphonium/baritone
  • trombone (a little)

I don't really remember when I "learned" piano.. my mother taught herself, and we always screwed around at home. I probably had a total of 2 years worth of lessons while I was growing up.

I played baritone in 5th grade band, only because the band director insisted I was too small for tuba. The next year we got a new band director, so the other baritone player and I both told him we played tuba, and I've played ever since. I actually was in like every ensembe possible in high school (even jazz band) and was a tuba performance major for 2 1/2 years of college. Then I got burnt out and changed majors. (During this time I took another 2 years of piano lessons and I, too, am "proficient"). While I still play occassionally around town, nothing serious.

A few months ago I finally picked up guitar and have been teaching myself. I am considering lessons, I just don't want to spend the extra money. (I got my first guitar in 3rd grade, but due to circumstances beyond my control, never learned to play it).

At some point in high school I picked up harmonica. I'm not great, but I do find it enjoyable.

The trombone I picked up in college while taking Brass Methods. I wish I had one to practice on, it's kind of fun.

Incidentally, my friends and I just started a band..The Somethings... we've had 2 practices. I'll let you know if it goes anywhere.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 11-28-2001, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I played the clarinet and tenor saxophone in junior high school and my first year of h.s. my second year of h.s. I felt that I couldnt do both band and football. So I stuck with football until I graduated. I loved playing and it was so much fun. I wish I would have stuck with it longer. I've always wanted to learn the piano. My grandmother was gifted with playing the organ. She could just play stuff at the top of her head. If I ever have kids I want to put a lot of emphasis on music. I think it really helps develop your thinking skills.