GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,510
0 members and 1,510 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...this badge gets more and more interesting. It needs to go to AGD HQ.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Wow...this badge gets more and more interesting. It needs to go to AGD HQ.
I am sure hoping that AGD HQ has been notified & they are one of the bidders on this beautiful piece of what looks to be AGD's early history...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
The design looks like one of the first badges made by a local jeweler. Note that the Gamma is not "chased" (engraved) the way the standard badges are.

The eBay listing Q&A section says that the badge likely belonged to Cynthia Geer who was initiated into Alpha Chapter in 1958. How would she have gotten by without buying a standard badge? Might she have been a descendant of a founder or early member and have inherited a non-standard badge?
You're receiving a PM from me, but I bet the big squirrels and IHQ know what I figured out

Hopefully I'll be able to share with the rest of you what I know.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You're receiving a PM from me, but I bet the big squirrels and IHQ know what I figured out

VS, I got your PM and tried to PM you back but the system said it didn't go through....
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

Exqueeze me? Where is my PM?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Me 3, sis!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
VS, I got your PM and tried to PM you back but the system said it didn't go through....
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Exqueeze me? Where is my PM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Me 3, sis!!
Sorry, even though I enabled PMs they were enabled for "but a chosen few" meaning people I let into my circle.

So AGDAlum, was any of that useful information?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, thanks, VS.

From the AGD Facebook page:
"According to our database, Cynthia Geer was initiated into Alpha-Syracuse University in 1958 and is still living. However, after doing a bit more digging, I would bet this belonged to Charlotte Geer Wilcox, who was initiated into Gamma-Wesleyan University in 1906. Her member number listed in the database is 003-20. It is possible that her member number was actually 003-19, and it was listed on her Badge as the 19th initiate of the third chapter to be installed (Gamma). That might explain the 1903 on the back of the Badge. In addition, Charlotte lived in Massachusetts, only about 30 miles from where the eBay listing says this Badge would be shipping from."
Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, thanks, VS.

From the AGD Facebook page:
"According to our database, Cynthia Geer was initiated into Alpha-Syracuse University in 1958 and is still living. However, after doing a bit more digging, I would bet this belonged to Charlotte Geer Wilcox, who was initiated into Gamma-Wesleyan University in 1906. Her member number listed in the database is 003-20. It is possible that her member number was actually 003-19, and it was listed on her Badge as the 19th initiate of the third chapter to be installed (Gamma). That might explain the 1903 on the back of the Badge. In addition, Charlotte lived in Massachusetts, only about 30 miles from where the eBay listing says this Badge would be shipping from."
Wow I should be a badge investigator! Lol! Glad to know my google searches were somewhat accurate!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I hope an AGD wins this one.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

crashing to comment on the badge back: I would love to hear from someone about the clasp. Specifically, is that a typical clasp for the age of the badge?

I wish there were better pictures of the back. This is why I say that the back is just as interesting as the front, and that it's so important not to buff off the engraving on badges.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like a new bidder swooped in at the last second & scooped the badge up for $510. Any chance we can find out if this was AGD headquarters, an AGD sister or a pin collecter?

I HATE that this site won't divulge bidders anymore. I hate to bid on any historical Theta items for fear I am bidding against HQ.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that the auction is over I'll try and remember to post some of what I tracked down for the non Alpha Gams, just some details that I picked up.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Looks like a new bidder swooped in at the last second & scooped the badge up for $510. Any chance we can find out if this was AGD headquarters, an AGD sister or a pin collecter?

I HATE that this site won't divulge bidders anymore. I hate to bid on any historical Theta items for fear I am bidding against HQ.
Re: the bolded. You can call HQ and ask. You can email as well. It's often useful to let them know if there is something unique or specific that might be of interest to the Fraternity.

I expect other fraternities would have people available (i.e. historian/archivist) who could be contacted.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Re: the bolded. You can call HQ and ask. You can email as well. It's often useful to let them know if there is something unique or specific that might be of interest to the Fraternity.

I expect other fraternities would have people available (i.e. historian/archivist) who could be contacted.
What a brilliantly simple idea...

smacks self in the head for not thinking of this earlier!!