GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,537
0 members and 1,537 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Granted, I haven't looked long and hard at the site, but I really don't think it's that bad. I know quite a few young women who didn't have the chance to be in a sorority or found membership difficult because they didn't have the support of their family members. Giving parents a reliable source of information that portrays sorority life in an honest, positive light (as opposed to the media, which is where most people outside of the greek world would get their information otherwise) seems like a positive, not a negative.

Perhaps it wouldn't ruffle so many feathers if the bloggers wrote one-time entries about their experiences with their daughters' decisions to go greek instead of continuing sagas? I do agree that a long-term blog written by a parent about a child who has left home is not really a healthy experience for either party.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
This. I only glanced at the links but it did have a lot of personal information about your daughter. Including her name, school and chapter.

The link to your blog featured a post entitled "Getting In, Growing up and Letting Go". I think the "Letting Go" portion is a bit ironic, since blogging about your daughter's sorority experience is kind of the opposite of Letting Go.

BTW, the site in question (since the OP revised her post) is sororityparents.com
The name of the site is in the title of the thread.

I think the site reveals way too much about her daughter. There is already a stalker out there.

The same results can easily be achieved without naming her daughter, or her daughter's sorority or school.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine posting information about my daughter that could potentially place her in danger. A few people on this site know where she went to school, majority of you know her as "daughter". You don't have my real name here, once again keeping her identity unknown to the world. Blogging about her experiences while in school would have been extremely difficult as she does not tell me everything. If anyone asks for advise in terms of sending their child away to school, I give them info as far as a parent, not invading her privacy.

If we don't let out daughters acquire their independence when they go away to school, at what point in their lives do we magically decide they are grown up enough to enjoy their own life?

DaffyKD
Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of these aren't so bad as far as content goes (the parents are saying positive things about their kid's involvement).

It's just the use of full names, schools, etc. that creeps me out. You can talk about your kid's experiences without using that info.

Not that I think parents have ill intent behind this, but they may not know about recent issues NPC chapters have been having with creepy people/stalking/FB/etc.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-05-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EDGE
I dont mind the site, but once a parent starts revealing pledging information, thats not cool. The pledging process isnt easy but regardless, its sacred. This is an experience that only the sisters are suppose to share together. This is what makes the sisterhood bond closer. My mother wasnt Greek and she sure as hell tried to pull information out of me about my process, and i refuse to tell her Parents can blog about their feelings about watching their child pledge but not reveal secrets that the kid has revealed to them. The only reason NPC is agreeing to it is so they dnt have a bunch of angry parents protesting lol.
"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I dont mind the site, but once a parent starts revealing pledging information, thats not cool. The pledging process isnt easy but regardless, its sacred. This is an experience that only the sisters are suppose to share together. This is what makes the sisterhood bond closer. My mother wasnt Greek and she sure as hell tried to pull information out of me about my process, and i refuse to tell her Parents can blog about their feelings about watching their child pledge but not reveal secrets that the kid has revealed to them. The only reason NPC is agreeing to it is so they dnt have a bunch of angry parents protesting lol.
You don't know jack shit about the NPC so shut your mouth.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Go Glen Coco! View Post
You don't know jack shit about the NPC so shut your mouth.
excuse me?!...
"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
excuse me?!...
By the way, you might want to value your privacy a little more. Just sayin'.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

ur just sayin nothin!...look this is an open website where u state either fact or opinion. What i put up is my opinion, got a problem with it, oh well, shit happens and you wipe ur ass. I do value my privacy cuz nothing up there i put said anything about my sisterhood personally. I dont agree with parents putting up information about theyre kids pledging unless they were hazed and its an awareness group.
"GO HARD OR GO HOME"
Old 12-06-2010, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ur just sayin nothin!...look this is an open website where u state either fact or opinion. What i put up is my opinion, got a problem with it, oh well, shit happens and you wipe ur ass. I do value my privacy cuz nothing up there i put said anything about my sisterhood personally. I dont agree with parents putting up information about theyre kids pledging unless they were hazed and its an awareness group.
QFP.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
but not reveal secrets that the kid has revealed to them.
Um, why on earth would you reveal your org's secrets to your parents? There's the problem. Secrets are supposed to be secret!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

For good or ill, the blog is more oriented to a PARENT'S perspective on his/her daughter's experience. The whole point is to give potential NPC new members' parents an "inside look." I didn't see any secret information revealed - to which blog post were you referring, Edge?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not sure you are in a position to have an informed opinion on what the NPC does and why since you are not a part of it. I haven't seen secrets revealed on the few posts I've read...where did you find ritual?

I think a one time post might be a better solution to this as well as a request that parents do not include real names and the school their child is attending. That isn't safe. It's great that they're offering a place for parents to share experiences since for many it can be confusing, especially if the parent isn't Greek. There's just probably a happy medium somewhere that can be both safe and informative.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I didn't see any secret information revealed - to which blog post were you referring, Edge?
She's talking about the "sacred" information about the pledge process.

She's coming from a very different perspective from that of NPC orgs.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
She's talking about the "sacred" information about the pledge process.

She's coming from a very different perspective from that of NPC orgs.
I agree MysticCat. She really needs to shut her mouth. Anyway, maybe I missed it but, I didn't see where they revealed schools. I just saw names of the sororities and the one with a picture of the girl and her pledge class. I couldn't really read the writing on the picture, though.

I don't know if I care for this site, though. To be honest-it's almost as bad (if they give out too much information) as posting tons of pictures of your child all over facebook with name, birthday, school, etc. I see it all the time and cringe. I especially cringe when people allow their 5 or 6 year-old to have their own facebook page. Really?

THIS is why younger college students post way too much on facebook and other social media sites. It seems to be okay-because the adults in their lives are saying it is.