Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,499
0 members and 1,499 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
We can't do that with over the counter meds because the child's name is not on the bottle. We can only do that with prescriptions and, quite honestly, she doesn't need prescription strength ibuprofen, only over the counter.
Extended release ibuprofen before school?

I see your problem. But I see the school's problem too.

Quote:
ETA: You also have to drop off the medication daily and pick it up at the end of the day (the parent does) because they do not want to be responsible for storing meds in the school. It's kind of messed up. My daughter IS allowed to carry her Epi-Pen and her asthma inhaler on her person at all times though.
Interesting. Our son takes presecription medicine every day after lunch. The school keeps it in the office (in a seperate bag, under lock and key). They call us when he is about to run out and we take another month-or-so supply. They carefully count it and sign it in when we take it. He's one of many they do this for.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
We can't do that with over the counter meds because the child's name is not on the bottle. We can only do that with prescriptions and, quite honestly, she doesn't need prescription strength ibuprofen, only over the counter.

ETA: You also have to drop off the medication daily and pick it up at the end of the day (the parent does) because they do not want to be responsible for storing meds in the school. It's kind of messed up. My daughter IS allowed to carry her Epi-Pen and her asthma inhaler on her person at all times though.
My school district does allow parents to leave over-the-counter meds with the nurse. They have to have the specific permission and dosage written and signed by the parent. Daily meds can have enough left for a weekly dosage. That is kind of messed up that your school won't.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Being strip searched for something stupid at age 13 is a pretty traumatizing thing. I was strip searched at that age because a girl got caught with crappy suicidal poetry, said it was mine, I told them to compare handwriting, the girl said I told her to copy them down...then she told them I was cutting myself, so I got strip searched for that. By two women in the room and one male. I still remember what I was wearing too. Ugh, I sympathize with the girl, but I see it as more of something that should have been prevented in the first place instead of something to try to fix after the fact. Sometimes schools just target students. I have *many* examples on that, but not for this thread!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The ibuprofen is a real sticking point with me because so many girls have to have it or have to miss school a couple days a month. It's kind of ridiculous to have to miss school because you're not allowed to take Ibuprofen.
ITA. When I was a teenager, I got such severe cramps that I couldn't get out of bed unless I took large doses of ibuprofen. My HS had a zero-tolerance drug policy, so I had to make a choice: sneak ibuprofen and risk suspension, or pass out from cramps, go to the nurse's office, and get sent home. So I carried ibuprofen and Tic-Tacs. If an adult heard the rattling of pills coming from my purse, I would just hold up the Tic-Tac box and say, "Oh, I was just getting a mint, Mrs. Nosy."

I cannot see how it's "better" for the school, that a girl suffering menstrual cramps should be made to suffer, or sent home, rather than be allowed an OTC pain reliever.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 AM
GreekChat Member

The school was way out line. I hope that administrator was fired, lost his house, and has to beg for food to survive.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Extended release ibuprofen before school?

I see your problem. But I see the school's problem too.

Interesting. Our son takes presecription medicine every day after lunch. The school keeps it in the office (in a seperate bag, under lock and key). They call us when he is about to run out and we take another month-or-so supply. They carefully count it and sign it in when we take it. He's one of many they do this for.
Yeah, I think our high school is a little over the top with it. The elementary school was more amenable and actually, the middle school was too. Perhaps it's a volume issue or simply the age group, but the high school is kind of silly. I am glad they let her carry her asthma inhaler because trying to get to the office to get that when she really needs it would be kind of nuts. And the epi-pen, because she might not make it to the office if she has an accidental peanut ingestion. They are instructed to call 911 if she has to use the epi-pen too because it will only hold her for so long. She also needs IV steroids and benedryl if she has a peanut ingestion. Thankfully, she's a smart kid and very very careful.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As far as what the school actually did -- I would just caution anyone to be leery of accepting a news story's account at face value. There's almost always more to the story.
I read through parts of the briefs, and you're right, the story's a bit more complicated. Apparently there was a previous incident where a student was passing out prescription drugs at the school, and a student had to be airlifted to the hospital after a really bad reaction. That, combined with the alcohol issues, apparently made the school officials very wary of alcohol and drug problems.

That may be enough to justify the search at its inception, as I understand the potential problems if students are passing out prescription drugs. They went too far with the strip search, though; there were a lot of other less intrusive ways to go about this.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I think the answer is just to actually have a police officer assigned to every school and to immediately transfer any student that might have broken the law directly to the officer.

I can't imagine why a school official should ever have to conduct a strip search. If the issue is serious enough to require one, someone else should be handling it.

A higher legal standard would apply, but the law would likely be clearer.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 03-27-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

if it were my daughter/female relative/girl i knew i would pissed to no end

just saying
Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Update:

I haven't had a chance to read the opinions yet, but apparently the Court, by a 8-1 vote (Thomas dissenting ) held that the search was unconstitutional, but by a 7-2 vote (Stevens and Ginsburg dissenting) held that the status of the law at the time of the search was sufficiently unclear that the school officials are entitled to qualified immunity from suit. (The question remains open as to the liability, if any, of the district itself.) Souter wrote the majority opinion.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Update:

I haven't had a chance to read the opinions yet, but apparently the Court, by a 8-1 vote (Thomas dissenting ) held that the search was unconstitutional, but by a 7-2 vote (Stevens and Ginsburg dissenting) held that the status of the law at the time of the search was sufficiently unclear that the school officials are entitled to qualified immunity from suit. (The question remains open as to the liability, if any, of the district itself.) Souter wrote the majority opinion.
Thanks for the update, I'm going to try to read the opinion tonight. It seems like a positive sign for privacy advocates that there was an 8-1 decision as far as constitutionality.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont think a strip search was necessary in this case. I agree with searching the backpack.

If the school felt this was such a threat, the cops should have been called in to do the strip search as well as having a parent present during the strip search.