GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,362
3 members and 1,359 guests
modorney, navane, Sciencewoman

Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I actually have heard of shirted, from a woman where at least two members who have posted in this thread have Alpha chapters and there are some cute jumpers involved. I only knew of it in a bid day context though.
I was reading this thinking, "I know I've heard of shirting, but where...?" Thanks for reminding me!

The way it was described to me was that they all run around the girl and sing a song and put her bid day shirt on, or something like that.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guard_girl View Post
okay thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to just have to ask someone here on campus which I really didn't want to do but all well. When I know the answer to my questions I'll post the answer in case it ever comes up again. Thanks again
95% of the questions asked on GreekChat would be better answered by real members of the organizations on your campus. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to ask people on campus - maybe you could ask a sorority woman you're friends with?

Last edited by Gusteau; 09-15-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Once again, the search function comes to our aid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
I've never heard of this Jersey'ing a guy. Pretty interesting stuff!
Its not really a jersey, its a black tshirt with our letters on the front and "Snake" on the back. We give them to candidates before they get real jerseys.

"Shirting" means bidding someone outside of formal recruitment. After Fall Rush is over, you can "shirt" someone by giving them one of these shirts and formally asking them to join. This is used to pickup guys who didn't sign up for formal rush, or weren't sure they wanted to join until they saw their friends did, latecomers, ect. Spring recruitment is entirely unorganized by IFC and is 100% shirting.

We have a pretty strange IFC at Stetson. Its funny because Panhellenic rush rules are straight out of Soviet Russia, while IFC rules are extremely relaxed.
Granted, it's fraternity usage rather than sorority usage, but still.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone
I've never heard of this Jersey'ing a guy. Pretty interesting stuff!

Its not really a jersey, its a black tshirt with our letters on the front and "Snake" on the back. We give them to candidates before they get real jerseys.

"Shirting" means bidding someone outside of formal recruitment. After Fall Rush is over, you can "shirt" someone by giving them one of these shirts and formally asking them to join. This is used to pickup guys who didn't sign up for formal rush, or weren't sure they wanted to join until they saw their friends did, latecomers, ect. Spring recruitment is entirely unorganized by IFC and is 100% shirting.

We have a pretty strange IFC at Stetson. Its funny because Panhellenic rush rules are straight out of Soviet Russia, while IFC rules are extremely relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Once again, the search function comes to our aid:
Granted, it's fraternity usage rather than sorority usage, but still.
Now THAT makes sense. You always come to my rescue, MC. I promise I'm not this clueless IRL. Ok, maybe I am.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Guard Girl, I wish you the very best of luck. It sounds like you are busy, busy, busy, but you also sound very motivated and I hope you find the right home.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guard_girl View Post
I don't like to ask people on my campus because I feel like it is say oh oh oh shirt me shirt me and I find that distasteful. I feel the sorority should get a sense from me that I want to join them and that they should want me the same way.
Well, we don't have a mind reading course in our pledging programs. You have to let members know to SOME degree that you'd be interested, because can you imagine being on their side and not being sure of the reception you'd get? (I'm envisioning sorority members walking up to a girl, the girl having NO interest, and throwing the shirt on the ground and spitting on it. LOL.)

You can ask sorority members that you're friends with, just in the course of a normal conversation, "oh, how did recruitment go this semester?" If they change the subject quickly and abruptly, that means you ain't gettin' in and you should just drop it. If they chat with you for a while about it, that's a good sign. Show that you're interested in what they're saying and their sorority in general.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

You should find out when chapters on campus are having their mandatory events (things like meetings, etc.).

On my campus, all the chapters had their meetings on Sundays - at different times of the day. If it conflicts, I would recommend waiting until you have more time (certainly I would not condone dropping your dancing if you enjoy it and have fun, but that would probably be the activity that has the most conflict).
Old 09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

As some of the other girls said, I think the most important thing to consider is whether you really have the time to decicate to sorority life. Most places I've heard of have chapter on Sunday, and if you're away all weekend, how are you going to get to chapter ever? Even if you're at a school where they won't discipline you for missing events, is that really sisterhood? I think you need to seriously consider what it is you want: the sisterhood or the letters. If you decide to go through, make sure you can commit yourself to it fully.