GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,056
3 members and 1,053 guests
John, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 06-25-2001, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I'm so nervous about rush too. I just have this sinking feeling that I won't get a bid at all, let alone one from a house that I really like. I always get paranoid about things, and I always think that the worst is going to happen. It's not good. I am going to try to put rush out of my mind until school starts. I think that is probably the best plan for me.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I will make it my PERSONAL mission to help any GC-er who needs help in Rush! I may not know much about Southern Rush...but I really want to help someone!
Old 06-25-2001, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
I will make it my PERSONAL mission to help any GC-er who needs help in Rush! I may not know much about Southern Rush...but I really want to help someone!
LOL that was too funny i don't know why, but it just was.
orchid2--- i hear ya, i hear ya. i want EVERYTHING it is you typed. and while im so thankful for GC, the MAIN reason i want it so bad now, is b/c of all the WONDERFUL people ive met on here; hence, making those doubtful thoughts MUCH worse. i wish you all the luck in the world at JSU and w/ RUSH. you seem like an awesome person and i sincerely hope everything turns out GREAT. who knows, maybe me and you could end up being sisters!!!!

Old 06-25-2001, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

One of my best friends who was also my roommate, rushed my sorority three times. She was not offered a bid the first two times she rushed and even though she wouldn't admit it, I know she was very hurt. For a little while she hated the whole greek system, vowing to never ever rush again. Of course, now she would probably ask herself how she could have ever thought that.
Not only was she devistated but so was I. She hung out with all of us, went to events that she didn't even have to go to, just because she wanted to help. I rushed her sooo hard and I felt like I had failed her as a friend because I couldn't convice my sisters that she really was great!! She would always ask me what she was doing wrong, and why she wasn't getting a bid, and of course you all know you can't say why. However, it finally turned out that everything was a misunderstanding. I eventually was able to talk her into rushing again, and she was extended a bid. The whole time while I was trying to straighten things out was miserable for me and the other girls who really knew what a great asset she would be to our sorority. Even though it was a rough road it was all worth it in the end!!! When the rush chair said that we were going extend her a bid, I was never so happy in my life. It was great going to our dorm room and calling her down and then seeing her face when we asked her to become our new sister. All the hard work had payed off and now I'm not the only person who knows how great she is.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

CRMSNTiDEGRL717, lindsay_iu, worriedsenior, orchid2, you women are way ahead where I was going through rush. I decided last minute kind of. I was a sophomore and just threw some activities down on the paper they gave us. I had my senior pic that was two and a half years old. I didn't know anything about anything about rush and all. Well, I have to go... good luck!

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."
Old 06-26-2001, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
Thank you so much, AlphaChiGirl. It is people like you who remind me why I really want to go Greek! I am looking forward to everything and I'll definitely let you know how it goes!
Old 06-26-2001, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The most important thing that will help you in rush is an open mind. Don't like a chapter just because you HEARD they were good. Go with the group that you feel the most comfortable with, girls you see yourself being friends with. If you get a bid from a chapter you kinda don't want, go to the bid day party anyhow. You may end up loving it, and if not, then you don't have to accept the bid. ****But remember this!!! - A lot of girls that are rushing you may be experiencing rush from the "rush-er" point of view for the first time. They are just as excited, nervous, worried as you!!! While you're thinking "Am I cool/pretty/fun/talkative/involved enough to get a bid?" the sisters are thinking "re we showing how fun/close/loving/involved/cool our sisterhood is? Can we make numbers and still get quality girls? Do the decorations look good or cheesy? Are our songs cute? etc etc etc" As long as you know that a lot of sisters are just as nervous as the rushees, it should take some pressure off you.

Good luck girls! I want to know how everything goes!

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 06-27-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana:
juniorgrrl: I think you should transger schools and rush at a new school. I assumed you were in a sorority bc you posted on this board. you seem really cool. Anyway I only got accepted to 2 of 5 sororities and one of the houses accepted everyone rejected bc they were new to campus and wanted a lot of girls. Anyway I did get in a house, but i still know the pain of rejection. Hmm have you ever thought of starting your own sorority- one that is alread an NPC org at your school with the help of some of your friends? It would take a lot of work, but it would be worth it.
I'll be a senior at LSU, so I have no plans to transfer schools. Being in a sorority would be nice, but its not worth uprooting myself again - I've already transferred schools once! Not to mention I'm in the deep south - anywhere I go will have very similar rushes!

There has been some talk of starting a new NPC group at LSU, and I hear panhellenic has voted to expand. However, things are VERY VERY resistant to change here. Over the years, we have had 21 of the 26 NPC groups at LSU. Some refuse to ever return. Many are wary of coming back, or coming for the first time because of our housing situation. All 10 of our sororities have mansions along sorority row. A house for a new chapter would run in the millions. Unfortunately, here, a lot of girls make choices on the house. An unhoused chapter is at a MAJOR disadvantage.

CRMSNTiDEGRL717: I hope you (and all the other rushees) here don't go through what I did. My best advice is to stick it out, go to bid day, don't just up and quit. I seriously regret dropping rush when I did - because of it, I'll never get to be in a sorority in college
Old 07-09-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

i am posting this story in honor of my best friend. as you can see i am a phi sigma sigma. well my best friend does not attend my school but at towson u. there is a phi sig chapter there. she went through informal rush and decided she loved them! unfortunately they never called her back...
she was devestated at first and hated all sororities...including me, her best friend. but everything worked out and even though she is not in greek life she is mre than happy. so this goes to show, and this is coming from someone in a sorority, that being a sister is not the be all and the end all of college. i love my sisters to death but....there is life outside of greek life!!!

But anyways...best of luck to all of you who are rushing!!! I am sure that you will all get bids from the houses that you will fit best with...remember that it is important to feel at home with the sorority, don't want them because they are rich, popular and beautiful...you may find yourself to be very unhappy...
Old 07-09-2001, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

The Rush Process Really Works! I was asked back to all 5 of our chapters after the first night of Rush. After the second set of parties, I was not asked back to my two favorite chapters, but looking back, those are the houses that you hear everyone talking about. I wasn't asked back to those houses for a reason, and I have initiated in the house that best suits me. So, trust the system.
During Recruitment last year, one girl said, the house where you get chills leaving is the house you belong in. Well,she is now one of my sisters! And, remember, for as nervous as you are, the active sisters are just as nervous! Everything will work out for the best.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

No matter what...Go into each house with an open mind...never set your heart on something until you have given every house a fair shot...if you think you finally know where you belong and then do not get a bid from that sorority your life is not over...I believe you should go where you belong..alot of times the girls who are rushing you and give you a bid know that you belong in there house...if don't get a bid from your dream sorority it probably was not meant for you...sometimes the girls know a sister in you before you see it in them...best of luck

------------------
IF I PAID FOR MY FRIENDS, I DID NOT PAY ENOUGH
Old 07-11-2001, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
I didn't get my first choice either. It was odd because when I went into rush I had my eyes sent on Pi Phi, but after my first day of parties I fell in love with Alpha Chi. For the two parties I went to Alpha Chi hit me as the place where I would fit in. I mean everything clicked! It really stung when I got my Pref Day card and only Pi Phi was on it. But it turns out that I know now that I wouldn't be as happy as an AX. I love the girls to death, but they can't replace my love for my Pi Phi sis's! I believe everything happens for a reason so I know I was meant to be a Pi Phi. I can't say that I wasn't bitter, especially since my best friend is now an AX. It stung, but I got over it. LOL
Old 07-11-2001, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Smile

The "you'll end up where you belong" thing happened to me too. I did the cutting of houses until it came to pref. For pref I had no say where I was going due to be cut from houses' lists. I was pretty upset, not because my favorite cut me (I didn't have a fav), but because I left the night before feeling confident that I would have to decide who I liked best. We go to 4 skits then 2 prefs the next night. I had fun at all 4 skits & spent all night deciding how I was going to decide who to pref. The next day came & I was shocked that I had been dropped! I almost quit rush right then. My mom convinced me to go to pref night just to see and after a talk with my PX about what happens if you accept a bid then decide to quit I decided to accept Chi-O's bid. I had serious doubts at first, but after PX revealing I perked up. My PX was XO too! A few weeks later My Hooter Tutor (person in your major)was Homecoming Queen! I took a few weeks, but I have so much love for Chi O and my sisters now. My mom is still amazed that I could go from being so upset to so dedicated and happy. You'll end up in te right place, don't worry.
Heidi
Old 07-26-2001, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally didn't get into the one and only house I wanted last year. It wasn't even a matter of another house being better for me, because my school is super anti-Greek and thus there is only one sorority that has any kind of roots or national ties or anything. But I'm trying again this coming year, because I can't think of one reason why I shouldn't get in this time. On a sort of related note, my college app process went the same way. I didn't get accepted to my number one school, and I was planning on appealing. I know I could have gotten in with an appeal, but I decided to visit the schools I got into and see how things went. I also visited my supposed dream school, and realized I would have hated it there! So I'm pretty sure things work out for a reason. This being said, if anyone cares to offer some words of encouragement, I'm scared to death of not getting accepted this year!
Old 07-28-2001, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Well, there are only two sororities on my campus but i know i got the right one too. A friend who was DZ suggested i rush after transfering to the college in my hometown. We usually just have informal rush (and any formal effort is really relaxed too) During club days i only found phi sig, but the girls suggested I go to DZ as well. I meant to, but being new, i got lost and couldn't find their info party. So i only got to see phi sig, and I'm glad i found them. Last year I served as our chapter's archon.
And to think before, I didn't even know sororities existed in Canada!

------------------
Delta Epsilon -
Phi Sigma Sigma