GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,387
0 members and 1,387 guests
No Members online

Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
It all depends...

$61/page may or may not be a bad price...

It really all depends on the quality put into the pages, the web designer's experience, features, time spent on the pages, etc...

I'm 18 years old and have no REAL experience with web design.. (no other professional sites done to show)

But I work for a local business which pays me $500/month to maintain their website. I spent a good amount of time actually building the site in the beginning, but that was over a year ago. I get paid $500/month to merely update the site according to seasons and sales, which probably takes an hour or two at MOST per month... In that case, $61/page is nothin'.

I also know that a lot of companies pay anywhere from $100-$1000 a page to get their sites done... But then again, they hire webmasters with years of experience...

bubu's templates look clean and professional, but it all depends on the fraternity/sorority's budget. So some, I can see how it'd be a lot of money to spend, and it may be very well possible to get it much cheaper... But with what people are paying these days for web design, I have to disagree with all of you saying it is "EXTREMELY OVERPRICED." Atleast in comparison...

Last edited by SiKeS; 06-14-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:20 PM

Re: It all depends...

Quote:
Originally posted by SiKeS
But I work for a local business which pays me $500/month to maintain their website. I spent a good amount of time actually building the site in the beginning, but that was over a year ago. I get paid $500/month to merely update the site according to seasons and sales, which probably takes an hour or two at MOST per month... In that case, $61/page is nothin'.
And I'd bet that it is worth that $$$ to them for you to do it so they don't have to hassle with it because they don't know squat about these dadburn newfangled computers.

A college chapter of a sorority or fraternity, however, is very unlikely to have no one or know no one who can't put a professional website together. This generation of college students have been working with computers since they started school or earlier.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
But the web pages that are being produced are not all that great...they are "clean and classy" - BUT you can use templates like that if you sign up for a free geocities web page. There is nothing unique or impressive about it. I know Delta Gamma gives an award out at convention every two years recognizing outstanding web pages...a page like that would NEVER win. Period. Maybe for some chapters it would be acceptable...guess I just like our chapter to stand out.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
Quote:
A college chapter of a sorority or fraternity, however, is very unlikely to have no one or know no one who can't put a professional website together. This generation of college students have been working with computers since they started school or earlier.
good point.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Let me throw this guy some defense.

I work in graphic design and believe me, design, html, etc in the business world is pretty expensive. I recently worked with a client who had a one page splash page put online. After the design time, buying the image, getting the hosting set up, etc, etc... his bill was over $300, for ONE page. And in the corporate world, that's pretty freaking cheap.

And the reason that graphic design students only charge pennies for design and implimentation of their designs is because they are just that... students. It's kind of a unwritten law that designers can charge so much based on their experience. I get leased out at $65 an hour at my studio whereas someone 10 years my senior can charge well over $200/hour. It just kinda depends on what the designer's experience is.

However, I must jump on the side of greeks. Greeks aren't corporate. I know this. Their budgets are obviously a little different than a fortune 500 (note my extreme understatement). So charging around $500 for a site design, minus the additional cost for hosting, IS a little outrageous. The budgets just aren't going to be there. And Barry, I love the clean and classy look myself. However when that ONE look is implimented (no matter how many different colors and pictures you use) it will still look the same. I have a friend, not a designer but he is pretty tech saavy, that has made a few websites for various (different) clients. However if you were to put them all next together, they would all look the same. I didn't look at the templates extensively (so pardon my ignorance), BUT I would suggest giving more options. A simple guestbook does not take that long to install and then a chapter site admin can monitor it. (That's just an example from reading someone's post.)

And now that I have bored you all... I will let you continue your thread.

Good luck with your business. However I suggest explanding your client list.