GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,451
0 members and 1,451 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Thanks Ladygreek and Kimmie1913!

I can understand how someone who doesn't know about BGLOs would buy them just because of the colors (I guess they think the year on the shoe would be a model number or something ).

That is STRAIGHT SHADY for them to make these shoes without doing the right thing. (paying for licensing, etc.).

BOO on Nike/Converse!
Exactly - if it weren't for GC, I never would I have known about the NPHC orgs and I probably would have picked up the AKA shoes thinking "Yay, they're pink!"
Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

They are probably going to make a lot of money from this product too. Bad Business Ethics in effect @Converse/Nike!
Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Exactly - if it weren't for GC, I never would I have known about the NPHC orgs and I probably would have picked up the AKA shoes thinking "Yay, they're pink!"
An unknowing Delta Zeta may do just that!
Old 10-08-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
______________________________________ dead!!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
______________________________________ dead!!!!!

Isavvydiva can we get thumper in here...we lost one.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
May?

I guarantee you it will happen.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Tuff2Quit
I am not greek, but I was wondering how they were going to keep people that are not greek from buying the shoes? Are they just going to sell them on greek websites or are they going to actually sell them in the stores? I was just wondering because if they sell them in the store how are they going to know if the people buying are greek or not? You all already said that the NPHC isn't getting any profits from this. So if it's all about the money they won't care who is buying them, and they won't take any precautions to make sure these shoes don't get into the wrong hands. Again, I'm not greek so I apologize if I overstepped my boundaries here, but I was really wondering about that, and wanted to know how you all felt about it.
I am also not greek. I have seen people who I know are not greek wear an orgnizations para and they looked stupid, because every one knew. That is why I sorta agree with the screening, but then again I purchased a shirt for one of my cousins who is greek. So I think that common sense should be used when people purchase para. Because there is no way in Heck that I would be walking around pretinding that I am someone that I am not.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

DANG....

I really wish Nike/Converse woulda done the right thing cuz I REALLY want a pair for my down days...... Oh well..........

When you drop the baggage, your hands will then be free to embrace the blessings...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors our National Executive Board as well as the leaders of the other Sororities/Fraternities are urging everyone to NOT BUY these shoes. Converse is selling the likenes of Delta with these shoes to gain profit without the consideration of the vending rules or OUR NEED FOR MONETARY SUPPORT with these shoes...

I repeat DO NOT BUY THE SHOES
Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Me, too. I definitely would have thought the numbers were a model number or just on there too look cool. I actually do think the pink and green ones are pretty cute.

However, I think it is extremely shabby that they're trying to circumvent your licensing rules. I hope your orgs take legal action, if possible. It's definitely needed in this case.

Oh, and please excuse the forum invasion.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

African-American Sororities and Fraternities File
Trademark Infringement Suit Against Converse
Suit alleges that Converse gained at the expense of African-American
groups and consumers

Dallas, TX - December 17, 2003 - The Council of Presidents announced today that they have sued sports apparel company Converse, Inc. for trademark infringement and deceptive trade practices.

"We were concerned that Converse, using unfair competition and infringing upon our groups' intellectual property, had deliberately and callously decided to target the members of our organizations for sales of its shoes without obtaining any sort of permission from our groups," said Helen Owens, Chair of the Council of Presidents and national president of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

The lawsuit, which has been filed in the United District Court for the
Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, maintains that Converse has
been manufacturing, marketing, and selling athletic footwear, called the
GreekPak, to members and supporters of African-American fraternities and sororities and that this conduct constitutes trademark and trade dress infringement, as well as unfair competition and deceptive trade practices. As indicated by Harry Johnson, national president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., "the Converse shoes we're looking at contain the identical founding year and organizational colors as our respective organizations and was an obvious attempt by Converse to capitalize on the goodwill our groups have worked so hard to develop. This was no coincidence."

The lawsuit charges that Converse has enriched itself at the expense of the African-American fraternities and sororities and the unsuspecting consumers who believe that Converse has permission from and endorsement by these African-American groups to sell these shoes. The lawsuit seeks damages for past acts of infringement, punitive damages, and requests that Converse be enjoined from continuing to sell these products without permission. Converse was purchased by Nike in September 2003.

"This lawsuit will send the message to large and small companies that our organizations will aggressively protect our rights and will not tolerate
anyone infringing upon these rights without us taking action. If any
person or organization wants the right to market our intellectual property, they must come to us to discuss a license or endorsement agreement. If they don't, they may find themselves in court, said George Grace, national president of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. To be fair, competition has to be based on a level playing field - companies must compete on the basis of originality and according to the laws of this country. All we ask is that Converse play by these rules and stop infringing our rights."

The Council of Presidents is comprised of the heads of the nine
predominately African-American fraternities and sororities, which includes Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. The Council of Presidents represents the interests of the hundreds of thousands of its members, who are in fields such as medicine, law, professional sports, bipartisan elective offices, accounting, engineering, aviation, finance and banking, print and broadcast media, entertainment, sales, law enforcement, firefighting, communications, teaching, telecommunications, data processing, human resources, social work, etc.

The Council of Presidents collaborates on matters upon which the National Pan Hellenic Council organizations share a common interest. The nine NPHC member organizations each have hundreds of chapters on college campuses and alumni chapters in cities across the world and are actively involved in programs that enrich the educational and economic lives of African-Americans.

-Intellectual property litigation attorneys Aubrey "Nick" Pittman of Dallas, Texas (214-459-3454) and John S. Kendall of Chicago, Illinois
(312-857-1997) represent the fraternities and sororities in the lawsuit.

Helen J. Owens, Chair
Council of Presidents
8800 South Stony Island Avenue
Chicago, IL 60617
773-873-9000
Old 12-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Thanks Sister-Soror CT4 for posting the update.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I can understand where you are coming from, but I do not beleive the Supreme Court if it gets that far is going to give them a judgement from a legal stand point! It could get there if is puched up enough.

You do not Trademark Years or Colors. You Trade mark Designs and Names!

I of course could be very wrong, at it does seem like an advertising gimmick! Not my decision to make!

But the only ones who will come out of this with money is the Lawyers who are handling the case!

While some of your National Officers are upset, who will it really cost, is you the members!

I dont think anyone in their right mind would come out with Purple, Green and Gold Shoes with 1909, The Year LXA was Established!

Yes, there is a difference between Men and Womens shoe designs!

Ever wonder why Mens Clothing is different than Womens?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-19-2003, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Yes, there is a difference between Men and Womens shoe designs!

Ever wonder why Mens Clothing is different than Womens?
I don't understand these statements. The shoes are available in men and women designs--for the NPHC fraternities as well as the sororities.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
I don't understand these statements. The shoes are available in men and women designs--for the NPHC fraternities as well as the sororities.
No offense ladygreek, but better folks than you have tried to understand Tom Earp. I've yet to find anyone that does. Save yourself the headache! LOL