Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 841
1 members and 840 guests
Low D Flat

Old 04-11-2006, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a few question, and please don't think I'm trying to be rude. I'm just curious about a few things:

Whatever happened to restarting your local group? You seemed pretty pumped about that.

Why did you decide to pursue an NPC instead?

And are you looking into the same NPC that your locall affiliated with?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-11-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I don't mind at all. Honestly i was wondering how long before someone brought that up. To make a long story short, and I don't mean to sound disrepectful towards my local sisters, but the amount of work that was going to have to go into that turned them off. It never really sank in until we tried to get into it. Without giving out every sordid detail I finally had to say to them "How serious are you b/c this will not be easy and it will take years!! if ever..." Pretty much, they all said that was too much to commit to. And b/c I'm trying to go back to school, I can't do it all. So, I must say I was crushed. I mean like really depressed! When I kinda turned the corner was around Homecoming. Almost all my friends had their house to go to and I didn't. One of the girls I was with had been one of my sisters in my local (she AI'd into the national that took us over). She was telling me about how her biological sisters joined the same national and how she couldn't wait to have kids so they could join it too. It hit me that if I were to ever have a child, they wouldn't be a legacy to anything! So that's when I started giving this AI process some serious thought. As for joining the org that took over my local, that I'm still thinking about. I've actually met some ladies who joined that org right after it went national and they are awesome!!!! But I'm not sure if it's the right group for me. That may sound silly but.... I just don't get as excited as I do about other groups.
I hope this makes a little sense.....

Last edited by Jimmy Choo; 04-14-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

ecipidelta-
I am going out on a limb here, but I am saying good for you! I am happy that you have discovered for yourself that even though a national group took over your local GLO, it isn't the fit for you. Good for you for not joining through AI through that outlet because it may be an "easier" way (being an absorbed member through a local to me seems easier to me then starting out GDI, please do not take offense..just my opinion ) and trying to find the group that is right for you!
In the same sense, I am sad for your local GLO. Where I went to school had only local GLOs and they have been going strong for close to 50 years. I wish you nothign but the best on your quest for home!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you MJo!!!! That is so sweet!!!! Trust me, it's hard to not just pursue the national that took over my local. Then i would get to be with all my sisters again but I also know that if I'm not comfortable then I will never be an active alum either. And for me that's the whole point. Thank you for the kind words!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome
Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with everything sweetie! I hope it works out for you!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, ecupidelta.
I just read your thread for the first time, and I want to wish you luck. Whatever happens, it is wonderful that you had the experience with your local sorority. I do understand your desire for alum activity.

Best wishes on your journey.

And thanks for your post on my thread.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you LouisaMay!!! Best of luck to you too!!! I know someday that you and i BOTH will have guessing threads someday for everyone to participate in!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

a little update

Some time has passed but I thought I would give out a status check. I have recently spoken with someone from group #1 (Jimmy Choo) so I know what's going there and my info is now in transist to the local level. I had not heard from group #2 in a while (Manolo) so I emailed my contact there as well for a follow up. I had made local contact with my 3rd group...via HQ... (which I realized I never named.... so let's call them Stuart Weizman) but I had spoken to that person in a while. So emailed them back to see how things were going and if we could set up a time to meet and greet (we had been in the process of doing that but some scheduling things went wonky and we had to put it off for a couple weeks). So that's where we are. This thread may get quiet really soon b/c I had not thought about this (but it was pointed out on another thread) that most all NPC groups have conventions this summer and even if they don't their members, esp. HQ will be taking a well-deserved rest. So for me, I may not hear back from some people for a while unless my info gets to local groups in the next couple weeks.

So that's where things stand for now..... still in mini-limbo.... but at least I know the process is still in motion!

Ami
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I'm so happy to see another PNAM post her story here.

I have done my research for which GLOs to pursue.

I have named the ones I will contact- and a few others that were in my undergrad school (all the ones present in my grad school were at my undergrad U., but not vice-versa). I gave them star names because I'm a science person and like astronomy.

I have PMed people in GC about the process.

I go on my vacation tomorrow and may not get internet access again until next Monday. But hopefully then I will be able to start contacting the necessary people.

Several of the GLOs I am interested in do have conventions in the summer. And I just found out just how busily booked I will be at work during the months of May and June. So waiting until after convention to contact them if necessary won't be too bad.

Good luck with AI. Let us know more.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

UPDATE: I will be meeting with some people from my Stuart Weizman group on Friday!!! If anything changes I will let everyone know and also I will let every know how it goes.

Also.... random sidebar.... I have hockey tickets for the Stanley Cup finals to Game Five which is tommorow night. the Hurricanes could clinch it all tom. night and I could be there!!! I so friggin' excited!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! You certainly have the energy for it. Let us know what happens!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I'm glad it seems like I still have some energy left!! Things haven't exactly been really fun at my job lately so that has been quite draining. Also I was consumed with studying for the LSAT (which I took yesterday) which was exhausting! I can't wait til I feel like I have my energy back But at least I do have some good news on the AI front!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I got to meet with my Stuart Weizman group tonight.... and things seemed to go ok.... I got to meet with the alum prez and a couple other alums. We'll see what they thought hopefully soon...