GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,017
1 members and 1,016 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2003, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I really didn't know that he was even sick. My prayers go out to his family.

Why does it seem like we are losing so many of our great Black stars? Tom Joyner said something after Luther's stroke about how fewer and fewer of us are making past 60. I sure hope that he is not right.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Gregory Hines was such an incredible talent. What a sad loss.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GRITS Send a message via Yahoo to GRITS
OH no! I can't believe that we have had so many deaths this summer, this is a sad day indeed.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Unhappy

I overheard my cousins talking about his death and I thought they were joking around. Then when I got home and watched the news, it was confirmed. I am in such shock over this.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

My best friend and I were just talking about Gregory Hines. He was a cool dude. I don't think that I will ever be able to watch Waiting To Exhale and enjoy it the same way again. Little Bill will never be the same. NO ONE will be able to fill Big Bill's shoes. That voice is classic. R.I.P Gregory....
Old 08-11-2003, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: To all the bill collecta's I clare fo'gawd i'll pay ya on the 1st
Send a message via AIM to Gyrl7 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyrl7
It's a crying shame, it seems like 2003 is leaving fast and taking a lot of celebrities with it.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRITS
OH no! I can't believe that we have had so many deaths this summer, this is a sad day indeed.
I know. I didn't realize he was ill.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evaclear04
OMG!
I heard it on the Tom Joyner Show this morning and couldn't even finish my breakfast. As a child who loved dance... I looked up to him for his talent and creativity. He was magic in tap shoes! Such a great loss!

My prayers are with his family.

Last edited by evaclear04; 08-11-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I was away all last week, and didn't get back to reality and reading the paper until yesterday, and this is what I saw in the Daily News yesterday, I am still in a state of shock over this. I had no idea that he was sick either. He is a talent that will be truly missed.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 08-12-2003, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Quote:
Originally posted by evaclear04
As a child who loved dance... I looked up to him for his talent and creativity. He was magic in tap shoes! Such a great loss!
Same here...

I still can't believe it. It just doesn't seem real to me. Maybe if I knew he had been battling cancer, but this comes as such a shock. He was on Regis and Kelly some time this summer and not once did I think he was ill because he looked like he always looked. I mean, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I watched that interview. I've loved Gregory Hines since I was a little girl.

Now he's gone.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Late Actor Hines to Appear on TV in 'Law & Order'

Tue Aug 12, 7:30 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Gregory Hines' guest star appearance in a Johnny Cochran-like role on NBC's "Law & Order" will be rerun on Wednesday night as a tribute to the star who died over the weekend, the network said on Tuesday.

Hines, who died on Saturday from cancer, appears as a flashy defense attorney described as "Johnny Cochran without the rhyme" who manipulates the media in a case where a black teenager is charged with shooting a cop.

"We are all saddened by the loss of Gregory Hines, one of the most versatile performers of his generation," said Dick Wolf, executive producer for "Law & Order."

"This episode showcases his often unheralded talent as a dramatic actor. He overwhelms the courtroom with his energy and sharp wit and is a very potent force opposite (show star) Sam Waterston (news)."

The episode ran originally on March 26. It was one of Hines' last TV performances.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I definitely want to watch that tonight.

I also might have to watch "The Muppets Take Manhattan" again....remember his cameo role? He was roller skating in the park and Miss Piggy borrowed his skates to go after Kermit.

Favorite Line:

"You gave Jenny the huggies?"
Old 08-13-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Gregory Hines' guest star appearance in a Johnny Cochran-like role on NBC's "Law & Order" will be rerun on Wednesday night as a tribute to the star who died over the weekend, the network said on Tuesday.

Hines, who died on Saturday from cancer, appears as a flashy defense attorney described as "Johnny Cochran without the rhyme" who manipulates the media in a case where a black teenager is charged with shooting a cop.

"We are all saddened by the loss of Gregory Hines, one of the most versatile performers of his generation," said Dick Wolf, executive producer for "Law & Order."

"This episode showcases his often unheralded talent as a dramatic actor. He overwhelms the courtroom with his energy and sharp wit and is a very potent force opposite (show star) Sam Waterston (news)."

The episode ran originally on March 26. It was one of Hines' last TV performances.
Watching this right now......he really didn't look ill. This is such a shame, he was in his "young" 57
Old 08-14-2003, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy I Remember that Episode...

That was a good episode...indeed his talent was often unheralded...He will trully be missed as he made great contributions to the entertainment industry...My prayers go out to his family (I know he had kids too )

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

Last edited by Sugar_N_Spice; 08-14-2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Stars Honor Gregory Hines in Harlem
2 hours, 12 minutes ago

By JENNIFER FRIEDLIN, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Stars from the worlds of theater, film and dance came out Sunday night to pay tribute to the late tap-dancing actor Gregory Hines at a festive memorial celebration at Harlem's Apollo Theater.

Fellow actress and dancer Debbie Allen said Hines' love of dance infused his entire body of work, from the stage to the screen.

"He took tap to a whole other level," Allen said before the tribute. "It was a part of everything he did — his movies, his Broadway shows, his music."

Hines, a Tony Award winner who died of cancer in August at 57, starred on Broadway and in movies including "White Nights" and "Running Scared."

Colleagues said they'd miss his generous spirit as much as his contributions as an artist.

"He was a wonderful, funny man, humorous and warm," said Isabella Rossellini (news), who played Hines' wife in the 1985 film "White Nights." "He didn't change on the set and off the set. There was an authenticity about him."

Hines also starred in a sitcom, "The Gregory Hines Show," in 1997, and had a recurring role on NBC's "Will & Grace."

Actress Phylicia Rashad (news) and Hines' older brother, Maurice Hines, co-hosted the tribute, which included performances by tap dancers and singers as well as video clips of Gregory Hines' performances.

A range of artists from Mikhail Baryshnikov (news) to Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee came out for the tribute as did politicians such as Rep. Charles Rangel, D-Harlem.

Gregory Oliver Hines was born in New York City in 1946. When Gregory was a toddler, Maurice would come home from tap dancing classes and teach him steps.

The brothers began performing together when Gregory Hines was 5. A year later, they performed at the Apollo with their dad in a family dance trio billed as Hines, Hines and Dad.

"I brought him home," Maurice Hines told the Apollo crowd on Sunday, "because this is where we began."