Members: 326,143
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Miles5566
» Online Users: 1,426
1 members and 1,425 guests
IllyPolly

Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

SmartBlondeGPhB, You said is so true for the simple fact of time involved with said Organization.

While You are married, I am not sure if Your Hubby will want that time spent away from Him and home.

Depending on Your age, You may offer to be of help as a friend of said GLO and see what they say. If they agree, then work with them and let them know who You are and how you feel being with them, but dont over do it.

I know that sometimes LXA does have Honorary Initiation for special people who work with Our Chapters, but have to be approved by Our International.

But as has been stated, it depends on the Individual GLOs.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twocutetx

I considered going through rush at UNT -- spoke to the Greek Life office. I was told that most likely I would not get a bid and that it would probably be a waste of my time.

I was also told directly by one sorority here (that I contacted about COB) that I was not eligible for their undergrad program because I'm married.

I'm thinking perhaps I'll copy the emails from the National office of one of the sorors that I have been chatting with here hehe. . actually I won't (wouldn't -- not very polite) -- but I was told directly that if I were NOT in school (ie not opted to return to finish) that I *would* be eligible for their AI program. It's the fact that I've gone back *boggles* I guess I don't really understand the premise. If I've been told incorrectly (and I will NOT name organizations here -- you are free to ask me privately though) I would love clarification.

*sighs*

Maybe I'll just wait until grad school. It's just frustrating at this point.
I am so sorry you are having such a negative experience. I would have thought as you thought, that if you are working on an undergraduate degree you would be eligible to rush regardless of marital status. I didn't realize that was a variable. And I would almost think that being married would speak positively of your ability to commit and work for the common good. But then again, as a person considering AI, there is a lot I do not know about the internal workings of sororities. If I were you, I would tend to take what the Greek Life office had to say with a grain of salt. Maybe if you did go through rush, by whatever name it is called, you would be able to convince others by your actions, which are the best testaments to character.

I hope you are not too discouraged. If being a member of a sorority is important to you in your life, do not give up too easily. If there is anything I have learned from reading the postings here it is that patience is a most valuable virtue.

~ Leandra ~
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that there was one married woman that was initiated into a sorority here on campus, and I believe a junior, but she was definitely not the norm. She had a high GPA, did not have a job, was in school full time, and I believe her husband was in a fraternity, but I'm not sure. I know that there is one particular sorority that does not allow married women to join - I found it on their website when I was researching groups before I went through recruitment.

My advice - go through recruitment, but realize that you may be cut heavily. You are an upperclassman, above traditional age, and married. I rushed as a nontraditional student, and while I wasn't given a bid into an NPC group, I joined a local sorority that I love. I still have friends that i made during recruitment, and it was one of the best times I've had in college. Be laid back, have fun - don't stress while you're there. Enjoy the women, let them enjoy you, and if you get a bid, be pleanstly surprised.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Re: So. . .I made contact

Quote:
Originally posted by twocutetx
Just an update. . .since my semester is winding down and I decided to add more stress to it *giggles*

I have contacted two sororities that I have contacts in, both of which are ones I am extremely interested in. The philanthropies are both things I am already involved in, and well. . .so far that's where I'm at.

Emails are sent and I'm talking to my friends about rec letters. I'll keep y'all posted.

~twocutetx
I tried to PM you to offer some information but GC says you do not have your GC membership setup to receive private messages.

Please pm me with your email address.

Denise
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twocutetx Send a message via MSN to twocutetx Send a message via Yahoo to twocutetx
Just updating :)

Howdy all!

Just thought I'd post an update since I didn't graduate this month . . .BY CHOICE! *laugh*

I'm technically done with all my undergraduate coursework -- but -- if I had opted to graduate, I would have finished with a 3.44. .06 off of cum laude. Too darn close. So, I'm retaking two classes from way back when (when I was 18 and KNEW everything!) -- pulling one A (to replace a D) brings me to a 3.495 -- pulling two A's (or an A & B) puts me over the top.

So, August -- that's when I'm DONE!

Got accepted into two graduate programs -- and yes, I'm going to grad school. Initially the program is an MS -- but I will be following a combined MS/PhD path.

And with all that I still want to pursue AI I have met so many amazing sorority women (both UG and alum) from so many houses -- it's been a lot of fun asking the UG members to tell me about their philanthropies and their sororities. I've learned a lot about the ones on my campus, and a number of these women have encouraged me to continue to pursue AI.

This last semester was as hard or harder than any of my graduate semesters will be (18 hours + honors clinic clients + practicum class diff from grad students so always notified of things late, etc. etc. etc.) and I still had time for life, and pulled a 4.0.

So what's everyone else up to? Status on any other PNAMs?

~B.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twocutetx Send a message via MSN to twocutetx Send a message via Yahoo to twocutetx
UPDATING :)

Howdy ya'll!

Guess what? I graduated last Saturday, Aug 11!! So I'm officially done with my undergrad *dances*

~B.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
YAY! Congratulations to you!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on your graduation! That must feel good!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Updating :) I found my home!

Just thought I'd update y'all since you've all been here through my journey . . .

I got home late last night from a short trip because . . .

*happy dances*

I was initiated this weekend -- Delta Phi Epsilon is my home!

I'm still in this happy/awe/did this really happen? state -- but yes ladies, it can and does happen. Stick with it and you can find your home. Patience is definitely a virtue!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DoubleTDG
Congratulations on finding your home!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocutetx View Post
Just thought I'd update y'all since you've all been here through my journey . . .

I got home late last night from a short trip because . . .

*happy dances*

I was initiated this weekend -- Delta Phi Epsilon is my home!

I'm still in this happy/awe/did this really happen? state -- but yes ladies, it can and does happen. Stick with it and you can find your home. Patience is definitely a virtue!
I just read your whole story for the first time. Congrats!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your initiation to DPhiE!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 10-07-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on becoming a DPhiE!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on finding a home! Awesome feeling, isn't it?! :-)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
congrats to you and DPhiE!
ironically i read your thread yesterday before you posed an update and i was wondering if you found your home [since it was dated 2007]!