Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,158
1 members and 1,157 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If there was a legal remedy that would lie because the defendant acted like an enormous douchebag, Moats could retire from the NFL right now.
???

really???
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

By defendant, of course, I mean the officer as defendant and Moats as plaintiff in a civil suit.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Because even a "pig" is entitled to due process -- a fair hearing before his pay is cut or he is fired. Which I hope he is.
I wouldn't get "due process" if I acted like that to a customer at my job. I'd be fired out-right. He's a public official who is a detriment to the city he works for and the citizens who pay his salary.

So, the family of the dead woman is still paying his salary (assuming they live in the same municipality).
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Forget the story....the video is damning all by itself.

and MSN is in bed with Fix News...so of course the language will be 'different'.

Just read it here (AP posted it) and they left out what else transpired (the mom dying after Moats made it in and etc) and other things....wow.
Haha, woah there...let's slow up the right wing media conspiracy train just a tad.

All of the MSN stories I saw were by the AP...so it looks like they were just using wire feeds as well, not their own writers.

It looks like what the officer did was wrong, and after the hearings and process is over, he should be out of a job.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Haha, woah there...let's slow up the right wing media conspiracy train just a tad.

All of the MSN stories I saw were by the AP...so it looks like they were just using wire feeds as well, not their own writers.

It looks like what the officer did was wrong, and after the hearings and process is over, he should be out of a job.
Yep...by a tad...and that's all is needed...

But again, I am not even concerned about the write up, the video IS the story.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I doubt it. Police officers routinely do much worse than act like douchebags. The detention was 100% legal. 13 minutes for a traffic stop where a warrant check is run doesn't sound horribly out of the ordinary. A police officer is not required to be sensitive and understanding of the reason someone committed a crime. Obviously, the officer was a complete, reprehensible asshole. This might be something which prevents him from being promoted, but as to the loss of his job? My guess is that he has to attend some sort of sensitivity training or something to that effect. I'd be really surprised if he lost his job.

I'm by no means excusing his behavior, it's just that I've seen police officers get away with much, much worse.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I doubt it. Police officers routinely do much worse than act like douchebags. The detention was 100% legal. 13 minutes for a traffic stop where a warrant check is run doesn't sound horribly out of the ordinary. A police officer is not required to be sensitive and understanding of the reason someone committed a crime. Obviously, the officer was a complete, reprehensible asshole. This might be something which prevents him from being promoted, but as to the loss of his job? My guess is that he has to attend some sort of sensitivity training or something to that effect. I'd be really surprised if he lost his job.

I'm by no means excusing his behavior, it's just that I've seen police officers get away with much, much worse.
Oh absolutely - when I say "should be out of a job," I mean in the sense that his behavior has no place on the police force. I wouldn't be surprised though if he got away with some slap on the wrist, though.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
and MSN is in bed with Fix News...so of course the language will be 'different'.
Seriously? MSNBC is the polar opposite of Fox News. Not that I like either of them, but making ill-informed statements like that reeks of Tom Earp.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Seriously? MSNBC is the polar opposite of Fox News. Not that I like either of them, but making ill-informed statements like that reeks of Tom Earp.
No, not really, I wasn't.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
I wouldn't get "due process" if I acted like that to a customer at my job. I'd be fired out-right. He's a public official who is a detriment to the city he works for and the citizens who pay his salary.
Exactly. You work for a private employer, which can pretty much do what it wants to do within the bounds of its contract with you.

He, on the other hand, works for the government. (He is a public employee, not a public official). Under the United States Constitution (and I'm betting the Texas Constitution as well), the government cannot depive any citizen, including one that works for it, of property (including salary) without due process of law, which means at the least a fair hearing with an opportunity to be heard.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, not really, I wasn't.
How is MSN in bed with Fox News, exactly? I know MSN carries content from Fox Sports, but I didn't think there was a relationship between the news organizations.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How is MSN in bed with Fox News, exactly? I know MSN carries content from Fox Sports, but I didn't think there was a relationship between the news organizations.
That was the only connection, but again...I was not serious about the comment.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally had time to watch the video. Disgusting.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Exactly. You work for a private employer, which can pretty much do what it wants to do within the bounds of its contract with you.

He, on the other hand, works for the government. (He is a public employee, not a public official). Under the United States Constitution (and I'm betting the Texas Constitution as well), the government cannot depive any citizen, including one that works for it, of property (including salary) without due process of law, which means at the least a fair hearing with an opportunity to be heard.
officer=/=offical? either way, the man he stopped still has to pay taxes, and those taxes are being used to pay this guy, while he's on leave.

he is not charged with a crime (that i know of) so how does due process come in?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I though Dallas cops were better than that... Well, let's say Irving, 'cuz I am unsure, but it looked like Irving to me. But if she was in Parkland... Zale Lipshy or St. Paul, yeah!

For as many people who have driven under "the suspicion", I still like this video.
MOST Dallas cops ARE better than this!!

I live here where this happened. The hospital is Baylor Plano, a very nice hospital in a wealthy suburb of Dallas. No where near Parkland in many ways! The officer was right to do what he did for the first couple of minutes of the stop.

At the point at which a Plano police officer & the nurse came out to confirm the information to the Dallas officer, it should have been O-V-E-R. The Dallas officer has apologized, but there is just no way to apologize for this behavior.

The Dallas police chief, Kunkle, will absolutely fire this moron as soon as the obligatory official review is over. He does NOT like being embarrassed like this.

Anytime a boss's boss's boss's boss has to apologize publically for an employee's actions, you can be sure that it is a "resume generating event".