GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,572
1 members and 1,571 guests
UW_dawg

Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
People are being realistic rather than giving you false optimism.

To be honest, some might also be reacting to your username. Not only does your username indicate a lack of understanding of how NPC orgs come to a campus, but it's generally considered very bad form to include the name of an organization of which you are not a member in your username
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Tell him what he's won, Johnny! ...

@~/~~~~
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Your first steps:
Talk to your school and convince them to open for expansion.

IF they should happen to consider entertaining such a thing, it's not like the girls who are interested get to pick which NPC sorority comes to campus.

Your school would have to send something to multiple sororities, and the ones who might be interested in colonizing at your school would respond. No guarantees on which groups might be interested.

Then a group colonizes. Just because you might be a part of the interest group does not mean you automatically get a bid from the colonizing group.

It's not an easy nor short process.
Thank you so much for your advice
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
People are being realistic rather than giving you false optimism.

To be honest, some might also be reacting to your username. Not only does your username indicate a lack of understanding of how NPC orgs come to a campus, but it's generally considered very bad form to include the name of an organization of which you are not a member in your username
I understand my mistake, and I apologize for that. It is just a group that I have been impressed with, along with many others. I just did not put in the time to think of a proper username. That is why I am looking toward those that are more experienced than me in the sorority life, much more so I might add. I want to have the same opportunities and learn as much as I can, and that's why, again, I am asking for assistance.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

And it's always possible that a second sorority could improve the Greek Life situation on campus. Doubtful, but possible. Follow IrishLake's instructions and be as involved in the process as you can be and hopefully something will happen within the next 2 or 3 years.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Your first steps:
Talk to your school and convince them to open for expansion.

It's not an easy nor short process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPhiWannaBe View Post
I know that there are girls attending my university that, like me, want to join a sorority for reasons other than just wearing the letters, which is what the one on campus is all about.

I am willing to make the effort to bring about a sorority that will last at my university.

You might like to collect the contact details of these other girls who are interested so you can demonstrate a genuine interest to the student affairs office (or whatever they are called at your school).

You could meet up with these girls and see if they are also committed to putting in the hard yards that are required to get a new sorority/colony off the ground. Your school may be more open to expansion consideration if they know the numbers of interested parties
Old 09-16-2011, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of people out there who like to TALK about doing stuff, but don't ever want to put in the work. You may find these girls who were totally into it after their 3rd beer may not want any part of it when it's time to collect signatures or meet with the Dean. And by the way, if they won't help you with that, they are not good sorority material and therefore the new pledge class you are imagining is nonexistent. And fair warning, some will say they are on board and just not do the work. When asked they will say they've been busy, but they're going to do it next week. These are girls who have not learned the fine art of the best word in the English language - no - and again are not good sorority material. But here's where you find out if a sorority if viable, or at least it's a good start.