GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,434
1 members and 1,433 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-29-2001, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by xok85xo

Not trying to be a b*tch or anything, but uh, what country is "jewish"?
Suprisingly, a lot of people (including me in the past) mistake "Jewish" as an ethnicty rather than a religion.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I'm a first generation Cuban American. My parents were both born in Cuba. My mom's side is Cuban and Spanish (5 generations back) and my dad's side is Cuban, Spanish, and there's some French in there (about 6 generations back).
Old 11-29-2001, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80er

Suprisingly, a lot of people (including me in the past) mistake "Jewish" as an ethnicty rather than a religion.

the way i have heard it from jewish friends, it can be an ethnicity and a religion. i'll have to ask and see whats up
Old 11-29-2001, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
While judaism can be considered an ethnicity, due to the cultural aspects..but just the way it was stated was like "my dad's family is <fill in blank of COUNTRY>, <fill in blank of COUNTRY> and jewish"..judaism is a religion and a culture, but not a place of origin to be from, or an ethnicity all its own..you can be from a country and be jewish, as in, i am from israel, and i am jewish..but you cannot be jewish as one of your lines of ancestory.

Sorry, this is kind of a sore subject for me, I am jewish, and have had to deal with people who just don't understand.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
On my moms side 1/2 Irish 1/2 Polish

On my dads side mohawk indian and Welch
Old 11-29-2001, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My biological father was from Puerto Rico. I've never met him (and don't care to) so I was never immersed in any of the culture (although I did learn Spanish from a babysitter I had ). My mom is Polish and French-Canadian. So here I am... a weird mix of Polish, Hispanic, and French-Canadian, but my friends say I look 100% hispanic. Oh, and the Polish side of my family actually can be traced back to royalty... they ruled that area in like the 1300's.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

On my dad's side, I am 100% Italian. From my mom, I am 1/2 Polish (could actually speak Polish fairly fluently as a child, but have long since forgotten since my Nana passed away) and 1/2 Slovenian. Am a Catholic, too, albeit a "lapsed" one

My husband is super W.A.S.P.man (white, anglo-saxon, protestant); all of his ancestors pretty much caught the next boat over after the Mayflower. We joke that we hope our little girls will still be welcome to join the Daughters of the American Revolution despite my diluting their fine English stock

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 11-29-2001 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty much a mutt, too. My dad's side of the family is from Welch, Scottish, and English and my mom's side is English and Bulgarian. I got most of the English with me--I am pretty fair skinned, have hair that goes blonde in the sun(or with the help of Mandy, the best hair person EVER!), and cannot hold a tan to save my life. But I have DARK brown eyes and I LOVE feta cheese, olives, and pretty much a lot of other random slavic foods. But I am proud to be a born and raised FLORIDA girl(though I don't live there now)--I think we are a different breed!
Old 11-29-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
Full Irish here.

actually-
here's the actual story.
I was adopted and so I don't know my blood lines...the literal ones, that is. So I figure, I'll make up my own.
Which is when I figured I had a supreme love for corned beef and cabbage- AND Irish music...so I just said I'm Irish. It may not be in my blood but it's in my heart and soul!

Love,
Jessica
Old 11-29-2001, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Well my dad is 100% French and first generation American, his parents moved here around 1910 and were married in 1922...my dad came along about 25 years later.

My Mom is 75% Irish 25% Swedish-- my grandmother was 100% Irish and Grandfather 50/50 Irish/Swedish. And I'm 8th or 9th generation American on my Mom's side.

SO while we all have mostly dark hair--in the brown and auburn range and either hazel or dark brown eyes--everyone also has this pale skin that freckles and doesn't tan. Except me. LOL I am more olive complected, brown in the sun, never freckle and have the dark hair and eyes--my grandmother always called me "Black Irish"

Amy

Last edited by amycat412; 11-29-2001 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
I'm 50% Irish from my mother's side. Her roots can be traced back to the early 1500's. I actually have a scroll of all the clans and the clan names and their terroritories in Ireland around this time. Although my bloodline clan wasn't elite, their name and a crest are shown to be in Northern Ireland.

My father was born in Germany, but I don't know how far his roots can be traced, we've never really tried, but maybe it's time?!?!

d
Old 11-29-2001, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

IHawk, If I had you in my jeans I would not worry about where you are from!

I am English and Irish and god only nows what else!

Wyatt Earp, Andrew Johnson, Robert E. Lee, and the Crowned Heads Of England!

Gowd I would be so far down the Tree I would be a crabApple!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-29-2001, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
IHawk, If I had you in my jeans I would not worry about where you are from!
I'm glad my boss went home because I am LOL hysterically!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL

-my grandmother always called me "Black Irish"

Amy [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

keep it coming.....I find this stuff so interesting. you guys rock
I remember one time they had a show dedicated to this topic on NBC.