GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,265
1 members and 1,264 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sarahanne
In my chapter, we aren't allowed to be around alcohol, bars or any where alcohol is served or sold, in letters; restaurants are an exception.
What about the grocery store/convenience store?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We don't want alcohol near our letters.
I'm sure I'm the only one that found this comment amusing, but I did. It almost reads like they're afraid their letters may be influenced by the alcohol.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I'm sure I'm the only one that found this comment amusing, but I did. It almost reads like they're afraid their letters may be influenced by the alcohol.
Or spilled on.

I hate when some drunk person would spill beer on my letter shirts
Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bapitt 09
aephi alum---where is your chapter located?
Massachusetts.

Oh - and my local (that later became a chapter of AEPhi) had even stricter rules. No letters, badges, pins, etc. anywhere alcohol was being served or sold. No exceptions - if you wanted to go to a restaurant with a liquor license, you'd better not be wearing letters. No problem with grocery stores, because alcohol can't be sold in grocery stores in MA (not even beer).
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In my chapter, we aren't allowed to be around alcohol, bars or any where alcohol is served or sold, in letters; restaurants are an exception.
I totally understand. I wouldn't want to see a sister at Kroger or Wal-Mart picking up a case of beer with her letters blazin' across her chest. The same goes for liquor stores. It is very hard to patrol this when it does happen, but it's all about being smart when you wear your letters. Just like you wouldn't give someone the bird with your letters on a front license plate or a big sticker in the back window.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
I totally understand. I wouldn't want to see a sister at Kroger or Wal-Mart picking up a case of beer with her letters blazin' across her chest. The same goes for liquor stores. It is very hard to patrol this when it does happen, but it's all about being smart when you wear your letters. Just like you wouldn't give someone the bird with your letters on a front license plate or a big sticker in the back window.
I don't want to see ANYONE in their GLO letters buying ANYTHING at WalMart ever. Then again nobody would see it if they weren't there themselves!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alum
I don't want to see ANYONE in their GLO letters buying ANYTHING at WalMart ever. Then again nobody would see it if they weren't there themselves!
Wal-Mart not elite enough? It's cheap and when you're in college, that's what really counts. xoheatherxo and I go there all the time, usually at 2am, and usually one of us is wearing letters.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alum
You are ridiculous. So you happily waste your husband's money? Glad that "elite" education taught you the value of a dollar. Walmart is white trash heaven, but you know what, you can't beat their prices on a lot of stuff- H&BA, some food, prescriptions, etc. Hell, I buy my pantyhose there because it's by far the best prices. Clothes and shoes on the other hand... a little more questionable b/c most of it is pretty gross.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In my chapter, we aren't allowed to be around alcohol, bars or any where alcohol is served or sold, in letters; restaurants are an exception. No AOII flip-flops, letter shirts, party shirts, jewlery or bags. We don't want alcohol near our letters. The ladies in my chapter are pretty serious about this stuff. We make sure that everyone's facebook and my spaces are nice too. No underage drinking, no letters and alcohol or drugs on them. That's just a bylaw in our chapter though, the other sororities on campus may be different.
What if you're underage in one juristriction, but not the other. Can someone from your chapter say that she went on a wine tour with her parents in Niagra Falls, Ontario or Italy? What if someone complains that she did that, not realizing that the legal drinking age is younger? Also, what would a pub constitute as, a bar or a restaurant?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
What if you're underage in one juristriction, but not the other. Can someone from your chapter say that she went on a wine tour with her parents in Niagra Falls, Ontario or Italy? What if someone complains that she did that, not realizing that the legal drinking age is younger? Also, what would a pub constitute as, a bar or a restaurant?
It's not uncommon for a U.S. chapter to have their formal in Canada. Doing so allows most of the members and their guests to legally partake in adult beverages of choice.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krystle
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
No problem with grocery stores, because alcohol can't be sold in grocery stores in MA (not even beer).

Yeah it can. I think it just depends on the store though, the Roche Brothers by Bwater sells all kinds of alcohol..Beer, wines, smirnoffs..whatever.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
And don't forget the always obvious, I was so wasted, I got my letters tattooed on my ass!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Caution: The Surgeon General Warns that drinking may lead to wearing Lettered Thongs, Cheerleader butt shorts, and hideous I LOVE MY GLO buttons. Please drink responsibly.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
u cant wear letters anywhere that alcohol is sold? i understand not going to the bar in letters or going to a party in letters, or a liquor store in letters, but nowhere that its sold? that means you cant go to a gas station in most places cause they sell beer?? thats crazy!!! and whats wrong with walmart?? i wouldnt buy clothes there, but so many other things are just cheaper than other places. must be nice to have enough money to not have to shop for things on sale ever!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krystle
Yeah it can. I think it just depends on the store though, the Roche Brothers by Bwater sells all kinds of alcohol..Beer, wines, smirnoffs..whatever.
That must be new... or possibly some cities and towns allow beer sales in grocery stores, and others don't. I used to do my grocery shopping at a store in Central Square (that isn't there anymore) where you could buy liquor, but the liquor section was off in a little caged-in area in the corner, with a separate cash register, so it was essentially a separate "store within a store". That was as close as grocery stores could get to selling alcohol.

I should clarify that the "no letters anywhere alcohol was being sold" rule was from my local, not AEPhi. We wanted to avoid even the slightest association between our letters and alcohol... personally I think it was overkill, but the rules are the rules. I doubt AEPhi would have a problem with my wearing letters while doing my grocery shopping, as long as I wasn't heading for the cash register with a cart full of nothing but cases and cases of beer.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
You are ridiculous. So you happily waste your husband's money? Glad that "elite" education taught you the value of a dollar. Walmart is white trash heaven, but you know what, you can't beat their prices on a lot of stuff- H&BA, some food, prescriptions, etc. Hell, I buy my pantyhose there because it's by far the best prices. Clothes and shoes on the other hand... a little more questionable b/c most of it is pretty gross.
I don't believe in supporting stores that decimate small business across America and treat their employees like dirt (low wages, minimal health insurance, no unions allowed).

And yes, you can wait for sales at other stores.