GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,436
0 members and 1,436 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I know for meet the greeks they had over 177 women looking at NPC organizations and those are the women that paid the registration fee so here's hoping. (there is an article in the pitt news archives from MTG)

Panhellenic, IFC, and NPHC have really put forth a strong effort publicity wise so here's hoping!

Plus a few women usually sign up prior to recruitment so I'd definitely say we are looking at the 200 mark! That's awesome!

here's to all of the women finding the sorority home they are looking for. If they do, quota will be close to 20, putting almost ALL groups at ceiling! yay!

Good luck to everyone. Anyone going to be at any recruitment events?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be there, but I'm not sure which days. Originally, I was going tonight, but I have to take my mother to an appointment. I'm probably on base for tomorrow, and either Sunday or Monday.

I'm thrilled about the (roughly) 200 signing up!! With drop outs for grades etc, looks like quota will be about 15-ish!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

anyone know when they're going to set quota?

I'm hoping that having it early this year will have a better turnout. So many girls always said they didn't rush b/c it was a pretty stressful time of the semester, especially for freshman. First round of exams is usually around the last week of Sept, when rush always was. And so many dropped out b/c they had to study!

Here's hoping it doesn't rain on the girls tonight!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the schedule of events?? Good Luck to all!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

11 rounds will be today and tomorrow, 8 rounds Saturday, 4 Sunday, Pref (can pref 2 houses) Monday, bid night Tuesday? That's the normal schedule. If it's not working that way this time, i'm sure Fire1977 can correct me

I wish there was a bigger cut instead of 11 to 8. I think most people can rule out 3 of the eleven right away when they rush, and houses can cut some girls. IMO, it's a much harder and bigger jump to go from 8-4. I'd rather see it 11-7-4-2. I'm sure there's pluses and minuses to both.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
11 rounds will be today and tomorrow, 8 rounds Saturday, 4 Sunday, Pref (can pref 2 houses) Monday, bid night Tuesday? That's the normal schedule. If it's not working that way this time, i'm sure Fire1977 can correct me

I wish there was a bigger cut instead of 11 to 8. I think most people can rule out 3 of the eleven right away when they rush, and houses can cut some girls. IMO, it's a much harder and bigger jump to go from 8-4. I'd rather see it 11-7-4-2. I'm sure there's pluses and minuses to both.
I agree that there should be bigger cuts. When I rushed, we went from 11 to 6 to 4 to 2. I remember much angst between six to four!!

I hope it doesn't rain, too, but that might be wishful thinking. We're lucky that only involves the one house (in reality), but I think every woman feels better when they're "frizzy"!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Here you go!

Recruitment Party Schedule Fall 2004

11 Rounds- 4 parties on Thurs, 9/9/04
9-915
925-940
950-1005
1015-1030

11 rounds - 7 parties on Fri, 9/10/04
6-615
625-640
650-705
715-730
740-755
805-820
830-845

8 Rounds-Sat, 9/11/04
11-1130
1145-1215
1230-1
115-145
2-230
245-315
330-4
415-445

4 Rounds-Sun, 9/12/04
1-145
2-245
3-345
4-445

Pref-Mon, 9/13/04
9-10
1015-1115

Bid Nite- Tues, 9/14/04
930 in front of WPU

I agree about the drastic cut. I'd like to see either 11-7-4-2 OR 11-8-5-3 for preference. I just think more women would be placed with an additional preference party.

At least it's not 11-8-5-2 like it was the one year!

I'll try to keep you all updated on any info that I get! I'm glad that it's earlier too Dani!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ta kala
does anyone know what the final numbers were for last night? i heard A LOT of girls dropped...for at least two of our parties we only had 7 girls
WOW, that's a huge drop in rush numbers then. if there were 200 girls, 10 rush groups, there should be 20 girls in each. Heck, even with 100 girls registered, that would still be 10 in each rush group.

Why can Pitt sororities consistently NOT get a good amount of girls to rush? To more girls think they can just join through COB?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I love that there are so many Pitt alum on the boards!

Dani, maybe having more interaction with campus would help promote Greek Life-- like holding events for women in the residence halls (IE: Resume-writing workshop and career night, Aerobics Night, Movie Night, all sponsored by Panhellenic), a Block Party, teas, etc... not only can help COB but also promote Panhellenic to underclassmen and get them interested in formal recruitment? Or, if Pitt is more successful with COB, is it feasible to use a loosely structured formal recruitment that is more COB in nature to pull in more girls? What are some of the ways Pitt promotes formal right now?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

adpiucf, Pitt has a rather bizarre history, especially when it comes to the Greek System. Pitt has a huge commuter population, so Recruitment has to be commuter-friendly; FR dates change EVERY year as someone finally realizes that the original dates included the High Holy Days (about 1/3 of Pitt is Jewish); the urban campus gives students so many other options other than going greek; and having three major schools with greek systems within a 5 mile radius doesn't help (Pitt, CMU, Duquesne, not to mention 11 other "minor" colleges)! Nine of the sororities live in Amos Hall, another in the hall across the quad, the eleventh off campus.

All that said, COB can be a relief after Formal Recruitment!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's just say that more than half of the women dropped out that paid the registration fee. (I'll give official after recruitment is over)

I don't know why, it just seems to be happening more in the last two years. And they did do a great deal to promote greek life this year - so who knows.

We did a pilot program for NPC a few years ago which was like the partially structured model and the other model that I can't remember the name of (the one where they can go where they want) and it was catastrophic to say the very least. (at least I think so - I think Dani might agree with me too).

I think fall formal recruitment is the best time to join at pitt- there's just soo much excitement behind it. It's a shame the these women don't realize it.

And the weird thing is - I don't think that the attrition can be associated with dirty rushing and whatnot - so who knows. And grades are really good for ALL the groups.

BTW - If I remember correctly Pitt has over 300 some student organizations, so we have a lot of competition from outside arenas. The Greek population is less than 10% of the campus population.

ETA: Panhellenic has a shuttle running through to the Kappa. So they don't have to walk.

They promote formal recruitment at the student activities fair. Tables throughout the few weeks. They handed out fliers at one of the orientation event. There were fliers in the orientation folders and they put fliers in the on-campus mailboxes. I think part of the problem is that our greek community is too closed off. There isn't anything they do that really is campu wide as a community. Another thing is that a great deal of sophomores go through recruitment and maybe since the fliers only reach freshman we should try to reach out to older/non-traditional students, you know commuters and the like.

Last edited by fire1977; 09-10-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

the partially structured or whatever it was thing was hell. That's what I rushed through... you just came and went to parties as you pleased, only invites/cuts were for pref. Some groups would make it so uncomfortable to leave! So girls would go into XYZ and not be able to go to ABC, or just wouldn't go. It didn't force anyone to be realistic.

How did today go? It's almost over. I hate to hear that so many girls dropped.... cause you know a lot drop today b/c going to 8 parties on one day SUCKS majorly!
Old 09-11-2004, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
the partially structured or whatever it was thing was hell. That's what I rushed through... you just came and went to parties as you pleased, only invites/cuts were for pref. Some groups would make it so uncomfortable to leave! So girls would go into XYZ and not be able to go to ABC, or just wouldn't go. It didn't force anyone to be realistic.
See, that might be part of the problem - I think with that kind of rush people are afraid to get "too" formal. You can still have parties with specific times, half an hour or whatever. You have to stay for the whole party, but you only go to the ones you want. I think that arriving/leaving in the middle of parties would be really uncomfortable, for the sororities and for PNMs.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

man, 10 for fall rush? that's sad if everyone got quota, it would be okay, but you know that never happens.

Good luck tonight for prefs everyone!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

on Quota.

Good luck to everyone on making Quota. Frankly, I'm worried about it...