Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,388
2 members and 1,386 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta

Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I know of an APO chapter which has a house, but not for lodging purposes. It *seems* like that would be allowed according to those guidelines, but I don't know whether it's ever been brought up one way or another.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 PM

say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modorney View Post
> ... we are banned from maintaining houses ...

Is this really enforced? Does this mean an APO chapter can't own a building? Some APO's rent buildings and act like other GLO's.
Does it have letters on it?
Does it have composites hanging in it?
Does it have a housing corporation?
Does the rental agreement mention APO anywhere in it?
Is it featured in on-campus maps as "the APO house"?

Members living together in a brick and mortar structure does not a "house" make. I know this is a bizarre concept, but people in college like to live with their closest friends.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Does it have letters on it?
Does it have composites hanging in it?
Does it have a housing corporation?
Does the rental agreement mention APO anywhere in it?
Is it featured in on-campus maps as "the APO house"?

Members living together in a brick and mortar structure does not a "house" make. I know this is a bizarre concept, but people in college like to live with their closest friends.
No, but you better believe that if a freshman dies of alcohol poisoning in that house, the group is getting kicked off of campus.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
No, but you better believe that if a freshman dies of alcohol poisoning in that house, the group is getting kicked off of campus.
My point is that I think modorney is talking out of his ass.

At my school there was an off campus house where 3 of the 5 people living there at one point were APO members, but if you would have asked any nonmember where "the APO house" was, they would have looked at you like you were crackers.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

At my school there was an off campus house where 3 of the 5 people living there at one point were APO members, but if you would have asked any nonmember where "the APO house" was, they would have looked at you like you were crackers.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yup. When I was at Carnegie-Mellon, there were two different off-campus houses where all of the renters were APO brothers, and where they tended to replace graduating seniors from younger brothers. However given that I think that one of the houses had 4 renters and the other 3 and that the chapter was about 65 brothers at that point, I don't think that qualified.

The key point here is that at no point did the chapter ever become part of the agreement between these brothers and their respective landlords...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't get it... I originally though that the image what because of the term "crackers", but "at one point" was bolded...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I don't get it... I originally though that the image what because of the term "crackers", but "at one point" was bolded...
33girl bolded "at one point," not Senusret.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modorney View Post
> ... we are banned from maintaining houses ...

Is this really enforced? Does this mean an APO chapter can't own a building? Some APO's rent buildings and act like other GLO's.
Modorney, please let us know the examples that you have.

BTW, I googled "Alpha Phi Omega house" and got 9 hits. "APO house" got 2560 hits. Of those, the one that I found most interesting was Gamma Zeta @ Georgia Tech, which has multiple references in both Facebook and on their chapter website to an Alpha Phi Omega house/APO house at GTech http://www.apo.gatech.edu/rush.php for example. However there is no sign that it is used for habitation.

The other hit I got was at Maine Maritime Academy, but given that in http://apo.mma.edu/ it is mention as being inside what appears to be an academic building, I doubt that's actually a real and true house.

Randy
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
33girl bolded "at one point," not Senusret.
Thanx.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I know of an APO chapter which has a house, but not for lodging purposes. It *seems* like that would be allowed according to those guidelines, but I don't know whether it's ever been brought up one way or another.
Gamma Zeta at Georgia Tech has a house. It has the greek letters on the outside above the door, and they technically share the house with two other organizations (a barbecue club and something else), but those two orgs rarely use the house, if ever. The building was given to the chapter to use as a meeting area years ago. No one lives in the house, save an untrappable rat.

I think most Tech students who know of APO know that house as "the APO House."

They had a brush with alcohol poisoning, and it did not go well. I don't know the specifics of it, but I believe their chapter is now incredibly strict about drinking during anything that could be recognized as an APO event.

Last edited by riesquared; 11-26-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM

We had a house on campus known as the "Little House" that we used for storage. No one lived in it (except maybe an ancestor of the GT rat). It wasn't a livable-in structure.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesquared View Post
Gamma Zeta at Georgia Tech has a house. It has the greek letters on the outside above the door, and they technically share the house with two other organizations (a barbecue club and something else), but those two orgs rarely use the house, if ever. The building was given to the chapter to use as a meeting area years ago. No one lives in the house, save an untrappable rat.

I think most Tech students who know of APO know that house as "the APO House."

They had a brush with alcohol poisoning, and it did not go well. I don't know the specifics of it, but I believe their chapter is now incredibly strict about drinking during anything that could be recognized as an APO event.
Ah. As long as no one lives in the house....

Randy
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Former APO frat house

KAY<>FNP
Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 AM
GreekChat Member

At which school?

At which school? And by former, is the chapter at that school still active and not using the building?