GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,272
0 members and 1,272 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2002, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

LMBBO. you must be Catholic or something because TRUST if you go to a BAPTIST service you won't leave before 1:00 unless there is a guest minister who did not feel like preaching but came anyway.
I currently attend a non-denominational church, which it's service last about an hour and a half.

Before then I attended a Church in God in Christ church. That was the one that lasted about four hours. I sung in the choir, that helped to pass time (a little).

Sitting still, and worse, holding my attention to something more than 30 minutes just ain't my thing.

*Another peeve about my previous church, if you were female and didn't come to church in sequins or were male and didn't come in a limegreen suit, you would be a total outcast. Like someone said above, I agree that you should come as you are.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

-Congregations are SOOOOO large that it is hard to have a one-on-one relationship with the minister, NOT the associate minister(s)

-You attend a wedding and the minister who is in the pulpit EVERY Sunday delivering the sermon does not perform the marriage ceremony. I feel if you are good enough to preach to me, you can marry me. And no, usually things have not "come up" it's about the $$$.

-Asking for tax papers. I think NOT!

-Having an ATM in the church. (see old thread at AKA)
Old 06-25-2002, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
I'm really trippin' off of this thread. I also am currently very satisfied with my church here in Richmond. I'm from S.C and oftentimes I compare how things are in church here versus how they were (and continue to be) back home. I have a problem with people (particularly ones back home---even MORE specifically, my oldest sister) telling EVERYONE else that they don't have "it" (meaning that they aren't saved or have God in their lives). I also don't like it when I'm asked WHY I don't attend my church back home when I'm visiting. Hey, I DON'T FEEL WELCOMED 90% of the time. No one wants to speak. Everyone is looking at you like you got a booger in your nose. Now WHY would I want to put myself through that kind of mess? There are PLENTY more (many of which others have hit on), but that could take all day.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LB1914
I thought I was the only one that had a problem with this. My church does not adhere to a strict dress code but I believe that there are just some things you don't wear to church. When I was a teen I had the "trendy" clothes but on Sunday morning I had to break out the shirt and slacks. In fact, none of the teens at the church I attended in high school wore jeans or t-shirts, regardless of how "cool" they were on the schoolyard.
I am so glad this drives other people nuts.

I see adults in church dressed down too - but I think this goes back to the kind of jobs people have. When this country was mostly factories/farms it was a big deal to wear "Sunday best." Nowadays, if you have a job where you wear a suit and tie every day I can see wanting to give it a rest on Sunday.

The kids have no excuse though. Acolytes with sneakers on under their robes make me nuts. Hey, parents - go to Target and get your kid one good pair of dress shoes and 2 pair of good pants. You can do it for under $50, really!! These kids are going to have a rude awakening when they go for job interviews in jeans and a t shirt.

Sidenote for rural congregations: I appreciate the fact that you got up and milked the cows, Mr. Local Farmer, but please change your clothes before you come to church!!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Well people I grew up in a Baptist church in Miss, so I can totally relate to the following per peeves:

1. service lasting from 11 - 1:30
2. the calling out of folks
3. the "finger" in the air as you leave
4. the 3, 4, 5 collections
5. the funeral home church fans
6. the load bad kids
7. even the communion of stale crackers and Welch's grape juice

or my favorite pet peeve: CAN SOMEONE TELL THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC THAT THE MICROPHONES AND SPEAKERS DO NO HAVE TO BE TURNED UP SO LOUD ! SISTER JOHNSON SINGS (OR SCREAMS INTO THE MIC) LOUD ENOUGH AS IT IS !!!!

But now I attend a UMC (united methodist church) and let me tell you that some of you guys would not like it, but I love it.

The service only last about an hour and it is not only come as you are (jeans, slacks, dress, what have you) but they also offer different types of services. Plus, they have day care, so that means no more LOUD BEBE KIDS running up and down the aisle!
AMEN!!!
Ok, here is a Sunday at my church

10am - Traditional church service
11am - Praise and Worship
12am - Youth led service
1pm - High energy service (christian rap, soul, etc.)

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 06-25-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

UGHHHHHHH......those little kids crying all the damn time and running around everywhere. UGh I cannot stand that!!!!!!!!! Oh and people coming in late too, that rubs me the wrong way

Ronnie
Old 06-25-2002, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BearyCuteAPhi
Oh and people coming in late too, that rubs me the wrong way

Ronnie
Just wondering why? I personally don't think it should bother anyone as long as the people slip in the back and don't make a major disruption. For all people know, perhaps the people just got off work, or had to deal with something right before they came. Or maybe even woke up and didn't feel like going for whatever reason but then something moved them later on to get on up and go.

My fiance and I personally (in ATL) go to church purposely late to hear the choir sing and the sermon. We are from a smaller city and not use to all this glitz, glamour, fame and money that majority of these churches here have. We have found that when we would go on time, we would feel discouraged by something that the minister would say during the earlier part of the service. Usually along the lines of telling the church that they're going to start calling members out that haven't been tithing or just telling people that they haven't been blessed because they haven't tithed. I was raised that tithing is a personal thing between an individual and the Lord and that the church's only concern should be to TEACH the importance not harass people or tell them to tithe or give just to receive something. Or the Pastor tries to entertain the crowd and talk about things (that we feel) is inappropriate for various reasons.

This all being said, we love to hear the choir sing and love the sermons preached. So we feel much more in the spirit when we avoid all of the above.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DST Love

Just wondering why? I personally don't think it should bother anyone as long as the people slip in the back and don't make a major disruption. For all people know, perhaps the people just got off work, or had to deal with something right before they came. Or maybe even woke up and didn't feel like going for whatever reason but then something moved them later on to get on up and go.

My fiance and I personally (in ATL) go to church purposely late to hear the choir sing and the sermon. We are from a smaller city and not use to all this glitz, glamour, fame and money that majority of these churches here have. We have found that when we would go on time, we would feel discouraged by something that the minister would say during the earlier part of the service. Usually along the lines of telling the church that they're going to start calling members out that haven't been tithing or just telling people that they haven't been blessed because they haven't tithed. I was raised that tithing is a personal thing between an individual and the Lord and that the church's only concern should be to TEACH the importance not harass people or tell them to tithe or give just to receive something. Or the Pastor tries to entertain the crowd and talk about things (that we feel) is inappropriate for various reasons.

This all being said, we love to hear the choir sing and love the sermons preached. So we feel much more in the spirit when we avoid all of the above.
To add to my post, we have no problem tithing, giving to the offering etc. (which we do at our church because it is after the sermon), however, they do a little less harassing at the end then during the beginning or middle.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The city with the beautiful Lake Michigan skyline and Deep dish pizza!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
[B]
5. the funeral home church fans

In my neighborhood you can tell what religion by the fans. The Baptists had Martin Luther King Jr. from Leak's funeral home, while the catholics had stained glass from Carter and so on. It was a trip
Old 06-25-2002, 08:37 PM

Angry Cell phone going off...

I think it is so rude to be in church and a person's cell phone goes off. It is not difficult to either turn your phone off or put it on vibrate. And then there are some people who have the gall to answer it... in church!!!? Come on people, we've got to get it together.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Adults who scold children for their behavior and turn around and do the same thing.(Especially the elderly)

Long services

Too many offerings

Nosy people asking me where have I been and why I didn't come to church last week/month/year.Don't worry about why I wasn't here THEN, be glad I'm here TODAY.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

so much to say...

It bothers me to see...

1) The same lady shout EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY! She's a little slow, but she has enough sense to know that she's faking. Last Sunday she took off her hat THEN SHOUTED! What's that all about?!

2) When people come to 8 AM service an hour late when they know it ends at 9:30, and feel like they've gotten their church in. If you're that late for church, you haven't been to church. You just caught the tail end of the sermon!

3) When people dress so casually at church and say that God says "come as you are." That scripture is directed to your heart, not your closet. However, when its time for them to go the club, beach, etc., they have on the proper clothes.

4) When people complain about how long church lasts. My church starts at 11 AM. There is never a dull moment in service to me. When I go, I'm thirsty for devotion, songs, and the sermon. Even the offering is something to be excited about. When we get out (around 1ish), I feel like rejuvenated. Personally, I feel that since God grants us six days to do whatever we want to do, why can't I offer him three hours of my time out of a Sunday? I also attend Sunday School.

5) My father is the pastor of my church and he is good in pointing my mom out and saying something he has no business saying! I hate it and we're always fussin' at him about it. But he does it in a joking way. If the pastor is fun and likes to crack jokes a lot of times, I can understand it sometimes, but when is on going, it gets old really quick.

6) Lastly, INCONSISTENT MEMBERS: People who come sometimes (Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day), just to say they came, because they think they're making God happy. And then have the nerve to say that it's not mandated to come to church. It's not in the Bible. That kills me!
Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread is too funny....

I have a few.

1. Those "super saints" who are always talking about what "da Lord done told them" I know some people got it like that, but don't put stuff on the Lord that you know he hasn't said just trying to get a crack in.

2. Super Saints number 2, Who, when they ask you to participate in some ministry activity and you politely decline, they start questioning your relationship with the Lord and how "young folks need to make more time for the Lord. Them folks at that job ain't got no heaven or hell to put you in." Uhhh...'scuse me, but I have been here 3 nights this week, work with 3 different ministries and quit trying to question my spirituality!!

3. People who sit in the choir and roll their eyes, talk about people, half listen to the sermon then have the nerve to get up and clap when they think the Pastor stepped on someone else's toes. Ummmmm we can see you up there people!!

4. I'll probably get hate mail for this one, but I don't care! Those little bitty non dancing praise dancers get on my nerves!! They can't half dance, and can't remember the steps. Either get better instructors or wait until they are a little older.

5. People who are quick to criticize (I know this sounds like a contridiction!), but slow to participate. These folks will always talk about what we shoulda done, but when it's time for the planning meeting they are no where to be found.

6. People who come to church late aren't that big a deal to me, but those who leave early make me ugh!!!!!! Where do you have to go that much in a hurry!! Man! My bible study is like a sea of folks leaving! I know Pastor can get a bit long winded sometimes, but if you know you need to leave sit in the back!! I especially hate it when folks try to leave during the invitation at the end of service. Then, folks have the nerve to get mad at the usher for making them stand at the door.

7. PARENTS of teenagers who don't make them sit with them during church. Hey, I know you think you are doing a good thing by bringing them to church, but if they are in the parking lot or sitting on the steps to the balcony then they aren't getting anything out of it!!

Man, I didn't know I had so many peeves!! LOL I do love my church though! Matter of fact, I'm going tonight!!
Old 06-26-2002, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

1) Churches that are so big, members/non-members are watching the sermon on TV from 4 different rooms. People can stay at home and watch a sermon preached on TV.

2) It also angers me at some of the things people wear, especially the young folks. Skintight jeans, tank tops with tattoos showing, etc.

3) Young people who go to church to see their little boyfriends/girlfriends.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

What also irritates me about sometimes at church is that the announcements and preliminaries are soooooo long. It's like everyone feels like they have to give a sermon once they are on the pulpit. Just tell us about the Youth Day (or whatever event it is)and roll! I don't need you to give us a bio on ever participant.