GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,300
0 members and 1,300 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2002, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
TaeBo
Old 03-21-2002, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Amy,

Did Will ever tell you about the time I was leaning back on one of those big exercise balls and was moving a dumbell weight side to side and fell over almost hitting my head on the chest press. I was soooooo embarrased . I have no coordination.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
My fiance, Will, is a personal trainer. I complain all the time about my abs. He recommends doing cardio first to simply slim down my abs and mid section...and then doing crunches and side crunches.

Here are a few of my favorite exercises for abs (as best as I can describe).

Sit down on the floor with your legs in front of you. If you have a heavy ball or maybe even a dumbell use put it next to you. Lean back as far as you can without actually laying down. Then take the ball or whatever and move it from one side to the other with your arms...but remember to keep in the leaning back position so you feel the burn on the sides.

http://aol.menshealth.com/fitness2/unbelabs.shtml

I know that is for Men's Health, but it's still beneficial for women!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Arya
TaeBo
Is taebo good? I heard it was bad for your knees and back? But I was considering getting a taebo tape. So I was wondering if anyone liked it or disliked it before i buy it.
Thanks
Diana~
Old 03-22-2002, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGPhoney

Is taebo good? I heard it was bad for your knees and back? But I was considering getting a taebo tape. So I was wondering if anyone liked it or disliked it before i buy it.
Thanks
Diana~
My mom wanted all four videos of taebo for her birthday, and we have only done it about 3-4 times. I cant remember if she asked for it this year or last year, and her birthday is in november.

I personally didnt like it. I wasnt really into it. I think the only actual exercise i like is dance, and i also like to use the treadmill. If you like kick boxing and that kind of thing, then i say go for it!
Old 03-23-2002, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DGpledge
My roomie and I bought that 4-pack of Taebo tapes. I'm the only one who really uses it, and I love it!
Old 03-23-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LaurenRosen
I found this info online - sorry if its so long!

You can do all the crunches you want, but your belly will still be there if you don't first lose the fat. By the way, it is perfectly natural for women to have a bit of a belly. It is not natural for women to look like Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell.

You say you're so-so fit. That leads me to believe that you only have a so-so training program. Are you doing aerobic exercise on a consistent basis? I don't mean three times a week for 30 minutes (the minimum recommendation). I mean five times a week for 45 minutes, sometimes longer. You should also be strength training at least twice a week, selecting exercises that recruit all of your large muscle groups. The aerobic (cardiovascular) activity burns calories while you're performing the exercise; that's why 45 minutes is more effective than 30 minutes. Strength training makes you leaner and helps burn more calories throughout the day.

Doing all this -- and let's not forget about limiting the fat in your diet -- will reduce the overall amount of fat on your body and in your midsection too. Treat your abdominals (stomach muscles) like any other muscle group and train them just two or three times a week. But train them hard. Here are five exercises that will help you get the belly of your dreams:

Lie on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Fold your hands behind your head. Curl your torso forward until you feel the small of your back flatten out on the floor. Keep your elbows back. Use your hands to cradle your head and take strain off of your neck. Do not pull yourself up with your arms. Slowly ease your torso back down to the floor. Exhale on the way up, inhale on the way down. Do 15-25 repetitions.

Lie on a bench. Reach overhead and hold onto the bench. Raise both legs in the air until your toes are pointing at the ceiling. Keep your knees slightly bent. Raise and lower your hips without lowering them all the way down to the bench. Do 15-25 repetitions.

Sit on the floor with your knees bent and hold your arms straight in front of you. Keeping your arms low, lean back until you're halfway to the floor. Lift your feet off the floor and extend your legs until they are straight. (Keep your legs low.) Hold for up to 30 seconds. Do 1-10 repititions.

Lie on the floor with your knees bent. Raise your legs so that your hips and knees are bent at 90 degrees. Place your hands behind your head, with your elbows on the floor. Twisting from the waist, bring your right elbow towards your left knee, and at the same time, extend your right leg. (Your left elbow should remain on the ground.) Complete the set on one side, then change to the other. Note: Do not alternate. Do 15-25 repetitions.

Lie on the floor with your knees bent and feet together. Place your hands behind your head. Let both knees gently fall to one side with one leg on top of the other. Keep your elbows wide and curl straight up. Repeat on the other side. Do 15-25 repetitions.