GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 974
1 members and 973 guests
FSUZeta

Old 08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile
What everybody's said. What bothers me the most, though, is when someone accepts a bid. I understand that the noun "pledge" has negative connotations, but one still does (verbally) "pledge" to that GLO.
From what I understand, "pledge" is still used as a verb; i.e., "She went through recruitment and pledged ABC."
I'm all for shorter terms, as in "rushee" vs. "potential new member." My favorite new NPC term: old - "bid card;" new - "Membership Recruitment Acceptance."
You don't suicide, you "intentional single preference." (probably an improvement there). Wish I could find the list of terms. There's a REALLY long name for something like a COB bid card.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I do find a little irritating. In my sorority we have gone from

Informal recruitment to COB to COR to CR.

Yet everyone else is calling it COB.

It would be nice to streamline the terminology across all the NPC sororities with regard to the membership intake process.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi Conniebama
I agree -

Now -"perspective new members" (pnm) Then - "rushee"
Actually, it is prospective.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 AM

I said it at the time, I'll say it again. Recruitment reminds me of either the military or a cult. If I'd been asked to go through something called "recruitment" I would have been quite turned off.

All the old terms are better, easier to remember and still used at many schools - even the most "PC."

And while "single intentional preference" doesn't sound as hardcore as "suicide", I think that was the whole POINT of the term "suicide" - to impress the seriousness of what you are doing when you do that.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
One thing I do find a little irritating. In my sorority we have gone from

Informal recruitment to COB to COR to CR.

Yet everyone else is calling it COB.

It would be nice to streamline the terminology across all the NPC sororities with regard to the membership intake process.

OOOOoooo I know I was at the "meeting" (at DLC) a few years ago when they told us to start calling it CR - (I am the recruitment advisor) and I thought ok fine - but then I just got the new recruitment book and it still said COB

it was easy for me to try to change because lets face it I am still calling it open rush so COB to CR is fine - whatever - but I started calling it cr and nobody knew what I was talking about

AND WHAT ABOUT PNM we were told that it was changing to PM - from perspective new member to just perspective member - WELL apparently I was the only one to get that little message - because everyone keeps thinking I am talking about the time . .

sorry I got a little bit frusturated
Old 08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am bringing over a topic from the carnation rush thread -

The topic is why (or if) a chapter would over release on purpose knowing that it will drastically hurt their chances of getting quota

I personnally don't think that any chapter would CHOOSE not to get quota - I know I know quality over quantity but come on - in ADPi you have to get quota to even be eligable to get anykind of awards for anything nationally. - So, for a chapter to shoot theirselves in the foot by over releasing is IMHO "chapter suicide." It is one thing to get 5 shy of quota - but 1/2 of quota is hard to pick up with COR's.

However, we all know of a chapter in our sororities (I assume) that have pulled theirselves by the bootstraps and overcome the "numbers game"- It usually takes about 3 or 4 years and ALOT OF HARD WORK and good PR program - but If a chapter has ever been in "new member hard times" then they know that they don't want to be in that position again.

So, that is my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with the above. That's why it doesn't make sense for them to say they did it on purpose. Maybe the "we did it on purpose" attitude is their PR spin on a low numbers year for formal recruitment?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

When I went to the recruitment meeting at NCSU a few weeks back all the paperwork they gave out said Rush, when someone asked about it we were told "they" had decided to go back to using Rush. Fine with me since it never left my vocabulary!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi Conniebama
The topic is why (or if) a chapter would over release on purpose knowing that it will drastically hurt their chances of getting quota
My chapter always over releases, and we've made quota every year we've been in existance and we've never had to do CR. I think it's counterproductive to keep around girls you don't like just because the numbers dictate it. I do come from a chapter with good return rates, though. I'll have to go read the Carnation thread...
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO
My chapter has to over release early as well but they base the release figures on their performance the prior year, so I guess it makes sense. It just wouldn't make sense for a chapter who seems to have a numbers "issue" during rush to over release.
We do that too, and we never over release by much. I agree that it would be illogical for a weaker-rushing chapter to over release.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I said it at the time, I'll say it again. Recruitment reminds me of either the military or a cult. If I'd been asked to go through something called "recruitment" I would have been quite turned off.

All the old terms are better, easier to remember and still used at many schools - even the most "PC."

And while "single intentional preference" doesn't sound as hardcore as "suicide", I think that was the whole POINT of the term "suicide" - to impress the seriousness of what you are doing when you do that.
Didn't you get the memo? We ARE in a cult! We're all beautiful, sexy, can't-handle-our-liquor teases. We make straight A's, we OWN the Homecoming Court, we can make floats out of toilet tissue and chicken wire. We all love pink, we love designer clothing & purses, we keep both a myspace and a livejournal, and we are just robots with beautiful hair. You know, Stepford University?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Since I am currently going through the formal recruitment process as a potential new member (what we call it on campus) and we are learning about all of the new PC terms (there was actually a slide on our powerpoint the first night with a slide intitled "PC Recruitment terms") I know that we all just use the good ol' un PC terms that are user friendly.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile
Didn't you get the memo? we can make floats out of toilet tissue and chicken wire.
Actually honey - I think after 4 years of being homecoming chair when I was in college I think I could make all of the pyrmids of egypt out of toilet tissue and chicken wire - actually we had to resort to McDonalds (or was it Taco Bell) napkins one year - (We ran out of white in the middle of the night) Spray the heck out of it with that spray glue and there you go.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It really isn't over releasing -- it is a new release method that almost all campuses have gone to and it is based upon past recruitment results of all the chapters on the campus as well as the overall campus results too. This system REQUIRES each group to release to certain numbers each day - and it differs by chapter. What is quite different from the past system is that this one has a VERY large release right at the very beginning. The stronger the chapter, the larger the release -- right from the start. The theory is that a really strong group does not have to keep massive numbers all week to make quote so release these women so they are actually attending parties at chapters that will be able to pledge them. It has been highly successful in the two years that it has been being phased in -- both from a chapter and pnm standpoint.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Gal
It really isn't over releasing -- it is a new release method that almost all campuses have gone to and it is based upon past recruitment results of all the chapters on the campus as well as the overall campus results too. This system REQUIRES each group to release to certain numbers each day - and it differs by chapter. What is quite different from the past system is that this one has a VERY large release right at the very beginning. The stronger the chapter, the larger the release -- right from the start. The theory is that a really strong group does not have to keep massive numbers all week to make quote so release these women so they are actually attending parties at chapters that will be able to pledge them. It has been highly successful in the two years that it has been being phased in -- both from a chapter and pnm standpoint.
Yes. The new release figures are to make sure larger chapters don't have tons of girls attending parties that they cannot (or have no intention to) pledge.

But we were talking about a chapter that released lots of girls, didn't have the best return rate and didn't make quota. The thread's called rush at Auburn I think.