GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,493
1 members and 1,492 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
Thanks for the info - I'm woefully undereducated about fraternity rush and the NPHC.
You're welcome.

In fact, I will start a new thread about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
If this is a new idea, I have never heard of it either.

NIC rules do not include anything like this.

Maybe the local IFC does, but I am not sure how they can get away with it?
There was a thread on this a few years back. But I can't find it.

A few years back, Oklahoma IFC had a cap on the number of pledges each chapter could take through formal rush. I think it was like 50. Any chapter that took over the number, was assessed a fine for each pledge over. There was some controversy cause one chapter said "fine", pledged up in the 70s and paid their fine. I believe that Arkansas either had something similar in place, or was thinking about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I
You never misspell NIC.

You never misspell IFC.

You ALWAYS misspell NPHC and I have asked you repeatedly to observe the proper spelling.

Do it once, it's rude, but can be forgiven. Do it numerous times, it's blatant disrespect.

And for the record, I agree with everyone else on GC who has accused you of being disrespectful of orgs other than NIC fraternities.

As usual, when you get a compliment you have to be a smart ?

Your s--- does get tedious at the very least.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
As usual, when you get a compliment you have to be a smart ?

Your s--- does get tedious at the very least.
How is misspelling NPHC on many occasions complimentary?

We can go head up, Tom, and you will never prove that you have been consistently respectful to organizations outside the ones most like your own.

You seem to believe in universal truths about fraternities when it is clear that some things are relative.

I choose to bring in the NPHC perspective on certain topics and I should be able to do so without you checking behind my posts and dismissing them.

I am sick of you. Please put me on ignore.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

SAD

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-28-2006, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
It's hard to say.

I think that rarely will the best house on campus have low numbers compared to everyone on campus. Of course, it depends what you measure the best house on campus with.

The best house could be the largest or it could be in the middle of the pack numbers wise. I will say that for the most part that the best house will get the most quality guys-the guys that they want-and be compariable to everyone else on campus.

Although even the best house can screw off and drop the ball a semester.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor
It's hard to say.

I think that rarely will the best house on campus have low numbers compared to everyone on campus. Of course, it depends what you measure the best house on campus with.

The best house could be the largest or it could be in the middle of the pack numbers wise. I will say that for the most part that the best house will get the most quality guys-the guys that they want-and be compariable to everyone else on campus.

Yes they can and it happens a lot.

Big numbers never deem a best house situation.

One can have a huge house, but if they are screw ups, well that should say it all.

As the Marines always say give me a few good men!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor
It's hard to say.

I agree with you Coramoor. But I will take your last line a bit farther. Yes, one can drop "the ball" for a semester/term (et al) but someone better be smart and fast enough to pick it back up. From what I have seen and heard, does not take all too long for a long,hard, fast fall..........

Last edited by jon1856; 08-29-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

unfortunately, while the "best" fraternties are the ones with the best men, the best in the eyes of outsiders (and many insiders) is almost always dependant on numbers, especially in a thoroughly greek infused campus. I am at a campus where half of the houses are at or above 80 members, reaching upwards of 150. and the other half of the houses are at or less than 35 members. While amongst the leaders of the different organizations (fraternities in my case), there is mutual respect for each other's efforts, among the general chapters, as well as outside eyes, the smaller chapters are CLEARLY lesser chapters.

I believe that smaller chapters do have it much harder as a mediocre member can truly ruin a semester and even a chapter. Whereas it would take a complete idiot to take down a significantly larger chapter. It's just a game of percentages...

Last edited by rbwrath; 08-29-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with this from the experiences I had at my campus. The houses that routinely took the largest pledge classes seldom had the "best" overall pledge class. In order to reach the largest numbers, they were willing to bid guys that the "best" houses wouldn't touch.

I know of at least one house where their rush strategy was seriously "once we get 3 or 4 really good guys, just do what it takes to fill the rest of the class" Early on in the summer (we do summer informal rush almost exclusively), lots of good guys would be fairly high on this particular chapter, and then by the end, top guys who had waited to sign wouldn't even be considering them, and their remaining signees were pretty poor in comparison to the guys they were signing early on.

The top houses at my campus were consistent year to year in the number of guys they pledged, regardless of how many guys went through rush. The bottom houses were affected most by rush numbers, going through some really lean years when numbers were down. The largest houses were simply content to lower their standards to ensure getting a large class, and b/c of their size they were able to attract a fair number of guys who were between them and the "lower" houses.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think chapter total or pledge line cap would fly with most IFC fraternities. In fact, I know it wouldn't. We don't have to give bids to anyone, or we can give bids to everyone. I think either extreme is bad, but whatever, we decidie who gets a bid. It usually helps to go find them, especially at a campus where greeks are typically seen in a negative light.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum
I don't think chapter total or pledge line cap would fly with most IFC fraternities. In fact, I know it wouldn't. We don't have to give bids to anyone, or we can give bids to everyone. I think either extreme is bad, but whatever, we decidie who gets a bid. It usually helps to go find them, especially at a campus where greeks are typically seen in a negative light.

Billy, you hit the nail on the head.

Whe a Chapter recrutes big numbers and then do not Initiate them, whose fault is it?

Guessing a lot depends on the School of course, BIG isnt everything including, Numbers and House. It may look good from the outside, but inside, it is scrambled eggs and a mess to clean up.

But, the idea is to recruite the right members for your organization, not just bodies.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I consider a pledge class of over 55 to be too big. Any more and the house is taking sorority numbers.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk
I consider a pledge class of over 55 to be too big. Any more and the house is taking sorority numbers.

LOL, I often wondered how close these Chapters are? Who doesn't know who or even if they are members of said group!

LX Z # 1
Alumni