GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,424
1 members and 1,423 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
You beat me to it.

Update: I just googled other pictures of her.

If she's 16, then I'm 18.
Just like Michael Jackson had to lie about his age and I still believe Beyonce is lying about hers. I don't care how many people claim they went to K-12 with Beyonce and saw her birth certificate.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Okay...this is a good time to ask why do a lot of (usually white) people say "trailer trash?"

I always found that to be classist and also implying that anything that's not white perfection must be "trailer trash."
I have no idea. I hate it. Lots of folks live in trailers. Also, I prefer not to call people trash, in general.

And, I hear Roma/Travellers referred to as "trailer trash" before, as well as members of various Native American nations (who, uh, don't have too much of a choice if they live on the reservation because the US really FUBARed that whole thing up), and I think it's completely ignorant of any cultural traditions/ramifications inherent in those types of communities.

As a side note, no, I don't really think this woman is 16. But if she is, I really hope she's actually entering the union of her own accord.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I have no idea. I hate it. Lots of folks live in trailers. Also, I prefer not to call people trash, in general.

And, I hear Roma/Travellers referred to as "trailer trash" before, as well as members of various Native American nations (who, uh, don't have too much of a choice if they live on the reservation because the US really FUBARed that whole thing up), and I think it's completely ignorant of any cultural traditions/ramifications inherent in those types of communities.
I dislike the use of "classy" and "trashy." I think it's dumb, based on assumptions and labels, and I refuse to believe that most people who use those terms are as "classy" and "nontrashy" as they insist--even if they don't live in a trailer.

And oh yeah I was getting "trailer trash" mixed with the annoying phrase "white trash." I guess they are related but different, dumb labels.

Quote:
As a side note, no, I don't really think this woman is 16. But if she is, I really hope she's actually entering the union of her own accord.
I too hope this is consensual.

As for whether she's 16, tons of makeup, some plastic surgery, and/or airbrushing can make someone look older. She may be very 16 when interacting with her and seeing her without all the gooblygob.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just like Michael Jackson had to lie about his age and I still believe Beyonce is lying about hers. I don't care how many people claim they went to K-12 with Beyonce and saw her birth certificate.
How old is Beyonce claiming?

Her Father is an alumni from my school and she was enrolled during my time there. My Senior Year was gonna be her freshman year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTurtle11 View Post
Because there are trailerpark trash people who have mildly attractive kids they hope will become famous and buy them a big house I mean she looks anorexic, like she got her moves from Jersey Shore, and was allowed to date someone over 3 times her age. What is left for her at this point? Ugh, I am so over these trashy people getting any hopes of air time.

Of course let's not get on this nasty, pervy freak who can't find a woman anywhere near his own age to date. Apparently some juvenile moron is the only person who would dare do him.

/rant
Wow. You're an asshole, aren't you.
Quote:
Wow, this is unnecessarily harsh and classist. CG2, ity?
Walmart wasn't mentioned, so no. Flip your PMs on though, would ya?
Quote:
Okay...this is a good time to ask why do a lot of (usually white) people say "trailer trash?"

I always found that to be classist and also implying that anything that's not white perfection must be "trailer trash."
It is complete classism against people who can't afford that house with the picket fence and who don't dress or act the way 'they' think people should. And I think it has some racism in it as well - minorities live poorly and well that's just expected, but WHITE people who live poorly have the option and therefore are just trash.

People aren't trash, people aren't 'trashy' no matter how much one dislikes seeing bra straps, double-wides, or whatever. And apparently according to DZTurtle, anorexia is trashy too. Yay for bashing mental illness!

Quote:
Birther!
Quote:

I've heard Roma/gypsies*/Travellers called names, though never trailer trash, and mostly in Europe where there was a higher presence. But I've almost never heard 'trailer trash' directed at non white people. Sure, plenty of slurs, insults, and general assumptions that the nonwhite people are terribly irresponsible, alcoholic, and lazy - oh. goodie- but the trash insult does seem to come from a place of 'you could do better, why aren't you like ME'
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
How old is Beyonce claiming?

Her Father is an alumni from my school and she was enrolled during my time there. My Senior Year was gonna be her freshman year.
Didn't I just say I didn't care who claimed they went to school with her?

ETA: She's claiming to be turning 30 in September 2011. If you're 4 years older than she, I will believe that she's really her age...3 years ago. I guess it only worked for MJ because he was home schooled.

Oh well back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Walmart wasn't mentioned, so no. Flip your PMs on though, would ya?
Ugh. That's like, work, or something. Done. I couldn't remember how to do it though. LOL.

Quote:
It is complete classism against people who can't afford that house with the picket fence and who don't dress or act the way 'they' think people should. And I think it has some racism in it as well - minorities live poorly and well that's just expected, but WHITE people who live poorly have the option and therefore are just trash.

People aren't trash, people aren't 'trashy' no matter how much one dislikes seeing bra straps, double-wides, or whatever. And apparently according to DZTurtle, anorexia is trashy too. Yay for bashing mental illness!

I've heard Roma/gypsies*/Travellers called names, though never trailer trash, and mostly in Europe where there was a higher presence. But I've almost never heard 'trailer trash' directed at non white people. Sure, plenty of slurs, insults, and general assumptions that the nonwhite people are terribly irresponsible, alcoholic, and lazy - oh. goodie- but the trash insult does seem to come from a place of 'you could do better, why aren't you like ME'
There are some similar communities in, Iowa? I think? And on the East Coast in various places. And people are jackholes to them, here, too.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Walmart wasn't mentioned, so no.
rant/
LOL. I also hate Walmart but for different reasons. Walmart got lucky with this class action lawsuit. Realllllllll lucky. I agree with the Supreme Court's decision although I hate Walmart and know that this sets an awesome precedent for Walmart and other companies.
/rant

Quote:

Ditto.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Only you can manage to make this about race
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are some similar communities in, Iowa? I think? And on the East Coast in various places. And people are jackholes to them, here, too.
I meant to include a * that some communities prefer the term gypsies despite its negative connotations elsewhere.

That said, yeah I know there are communities of Roma and of Travelers in the US, just haven't lived close enough to them to see the prejudice. Similarly not lived near a reservation or large population of American Indians. But those stereotypes still exist.

Quote:
rant/
LOL. I also hate Walmart but for different reasons. Walmart got lucky with this class action lawsuit. Realllllllll lucky. I agree with the Supreme Court's decision although I hate Walmart and know that this sets an awesome precedent for Walmart and other companies.
/rant
I have issues with Walmart, but I'm generally neutral on them. They are buying more locally, and a job at Walmart pays better than the summer job I had for high school - a local downtown dept store, I got minimum and nothing more for 2-3 years - they have issues, yes, but no company doesn't. I do need to read up more on the lawsuit that just got bumped out of class action status though. I agree that there's some discrimination but I also agree that it's not necessarily a corporation wide policy that falls under class action.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
rant/
/rant
You and I are >here<. Unfortunately, unless they can get some groups of classes together that are still of reasonable size, this means the women have a really hard battle ahead of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
WTF? Boy, this comment is even dumber than the comment that set off this whole trailer trash hijack.

Sidenote: "Classy" is an acceptable modifier when it describes inanimate things. "A classy event." "A classy dress." "A classy restaurant."

It gets squicky when applied to people. "A classy personality" actually works, too. And, in some ways, "trashy" is the same.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ooh yay DrPhil gets a corner square
Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Okay you can manage to be on my ass.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have issues with Walmart, but I'm generally neutral on them. They are buying more locally, and a job at Walmart pays better than the summer job I had for high school - a local downtown dept store, I got minimum and nothing more for 2-3 years - they have issues, yes, but no company doesn't. I do need to read up more on the lawsuit that just got bumped out of class action status though. I agree that there's some discrimination but I also agree that it's not necessarily a corporation wide policy that falls under class action.
Quote:
You and I are >here<. Unfortunately, unless they can get some groups of classes together that are still of reasonable size, this means the women have a really hard battle ahead of them.
Walmart does a darn good job of making the pros (at face value) seemingly outweigh the cons. I'm not mad at them for being a kickass capitalist giant in that regard. The discrimination lawsuits will take much longer.

Quote:
Ooh yay DrPhil gets a corner square
LOL. Some idiots are so terrified of topics. They are the same idiots who think race is synonymous with racism.

The View is currently talking about this 51 yo and his 16 yo bride. They are operating on the assumption that she is really 16. They were saying it's sad that her parents relinquished their rights. Whoopi said that young brides were common at points in history and in other countries. The others responded with how young brides (which were conveniently always more common than young grooms) are an issue particularly when these are kids who barely know their own minds, let alone having the ability to know what makes someone else happy. Relationships and marriages are complicated enough without a grown man marrying a kid.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I don't think it's a publicity stunt. I think the dude just likes really young chicks. He's probably a pedafile who hasn't been arrested, yet.
I'm sure DF will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the threshold for pedophilia is 13 for a true clinical diagnosis. Plus, the fact that even if she IS 16 she doesn't LOOK 16 would also cancel out the pedophilia assumption. Now if she were 16 but LOOKED 12, that would be cause to reevaluate that theory.

Either way, divorce is common enough and easy enough to attain that I'm just not all that worried about this situation, sad as it is.