GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,374
1 members and 1,373 guests
UW_dawg

Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I've seen the guards are usually the initials of the chapter so "TU" for Transylvania - although many chapter names omit the "university" so they could get away with ordering a "Tau" guard. Likewise our Northwest Missouri chapter can get away with ordering a "Nu Mu" guard but not all chapters (like mine) have Greek-English equivalents.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers, I think I get it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Looks like she just picked Greek letters that looked like the English letters.
Lol, yeah I did! I wanted my username to be FaithHopeLove and then picked random greek letters to make it look different - Apologies if I offended anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
If you're starting a new sorority, then it would start as a local sorority, and there would only be one chapter. Therefore, you wouldn't necessarily need to give it a Greek letter chapter designation. As for the name of the actual sorority, if you're starting the whole thing from scratch (A HUGE UNDERTAKING!!), then you can name it anything you want, for whatever reason you wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
It sounds like you're wanting to start a new sorority - there are several threads on GC that you should read if you're really thinking about starting one.
I never thought of starting a Sorority, and I definitely won't now I just wanted to know what thoughts go into naming a Sorority because I'm new to Greek life and want to understand the naming process behind the Sororities I want to join so I don't get confused when I meet someone from a different chapter.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FΔithHΩpeLoΛe View Post
Lol, yeah I did! I wanted my username to be FaithHopeLove and then picked random greek letters to make it look different - Apologies if I offended anyone
Well, just to let you know, your username actually is Fdith Hqpe Lole. Greek letters often look NOTHING like their English equivalents (despite what a passel of graphic design firms or clothing manufacturers would have you believe).
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Ironically the proper letters for the first two actually look like the english equivalent. Is there even a v sound in Greek?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Ironically the proper letters for the first two actually look like the english equivalent.
But then they wouldn't be cool Greek letters

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, just to let you know, your username actually is Fdith Hqpe Lole. Greek letters often look NOTHING like their English equivalents (despite what a passel of graphic design firms or clothing manufacturers would have you believe).
My username wasn't *supposed* to look like it contained the English equivalents of the Greek letters, it was supposed to look like I substituted the letters A, O, and V with symbols that *looked* like the English letters, not *translated* into English letters...
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
My username wasn't *supposed* to look like it contained the English equivalents of the Greek letters, it was supposed to look like I substituted the letters A, O, and V with symbols that *looked* like the English letters, not *translated* into English letters...
But why would you want to have a username that makes no sense? Greek letters aren't just fun symbols, they are letters in an alphabet.

It's kind of the equivalent of getting a Chinese tattoo that looks cool and then finding out it means "cabbage skyscraper" or something of the like.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

ΦΑΙΘ ΗΟΠΕ ΛΟΒΕ

The proper way to spell it.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But why would you want to have a username that makes no sense? Greek letters aren't just fun symbols, they are letters in an alphabet.

It's kind of the equivalent of getting a Chinese tattoo that looks cool and then finding out it means "cabbage skyscraper" or something of the like.
Ok, I already apologised - I can't change it so can we just get over it now?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes you can change it.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you Canadian? Or Brit?

Are there rumours?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh ok, I see - but not all organisations follow that system, right?
A few exceptions in the NPC:

*Alpha Omicron Pi allows each colony to choose the chapter designation, usually based on a chapter sub-motto. For example, the colony at the University of Arkansas became the Xi Omicron chapter, for "excellence overall".
*Alpha Epsilon Phi goes Alpha to Omega, Alpha Alpha to Alpha Omega, Epsilon Alpha to Epsilon Omega, Phi Alpha to Phi Omega, and then resumes with the Betas. Delta Phi Epsilon also does this, except their first three sets after the single letter chapters are Delta, Phi and Epsilon.
*Chi Omega does the basic system, but backwards and omitting Omega. The second letter is the "set". The first chapter is Psi, then Chi, then Phi...then Psi Alpha, Chi Alpha, Phi Alpha...Alpha Alpha, then Psi Beta, Chi Beta, Phi Beta....Alpha Beta.
*Kappa Delta has many chapters not named in the conventional manner. Some designations were given to honor people, the school, or the locals that KD absorbed. See these two posts by Leslie Anne and ta kala. (Thank you Shellfish!)
*Pi Beta Phi names chapters by the state and the order it was chartered in that state. Virginia Alpha, Virginia Beta, Virginia Gamma...Ohio Alpha, Ohio Beta, etc.
*Alpha Gamma Delta names chapters by region. The first Greek letter is the region designation and the second is the order in which that chapter was chartered within the region. (Thank you VandalSquirrel!) Any Phi Mus correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Phi Mu also does this too.

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-24-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add KD links and AGD and Phi Mu
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega, Alpha Epsilon Phi and Delta Phi Epsilon have really interesting systems.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
*Pi Beta Phi names chapters by the state and the order it was chartered in that state. Virginia Alpha, Virginia Beta, Virginia Gamma...Ohio Alpha, Ohio Beta, etc.
Same with SigEp (which was mentioned). But also kind of interesting, we also used to go by Alpha, Beta...Psi, Omega, Beta Alpha.. etc. But then at some point (I believe it was after our merger with Tau Upsilon Omega), the chapter designations were switched to states and Greek letters. Also, we don't have a North Carolina Alpha chapter. I think it's because of both a SPE and TUO chapter closing and rechartering? I really don't remember.

And California and Pennsylvania are the only states I believe with double letters (ex. CA Beta Gamma, PA Beta Alpha).
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Some previous posts about KD chapters' letters:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...&postcount=151
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...&postcount=156