GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 822
1 members and 821 guests
indygphib

Old 09-10-2002, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
One of our main rules at rush was do not talk about any other sorority PERIOD. If a sorority cannot attract new members by presenting themselves with honesty and intergrity without back stabbing another sorority, they have very BIG problems.

JAM, I had a situation when I was an active with a new sister in another sorority bad mouthing my sorority. She didn't realize that I was sitting right behind her. Of course when I made myself known by standing up looking her in the face wearing my letters, most of her sisters had the common sense to be embarrassed. She however thought that it was funny and laughed in my face. Of course, I had the last laugh when I brought her conduct to the attention of my friends in her sorority who happened to be on the Executive Board. They assured me that what she had said was not the opinion of their sorority and apologized and promised that it would not happen again.

I think that the DG chapter president should bring this conduct to the attention of the ____ chapter president. At the very least, she will be embarrassed and apologize and hopefully, it will never happen again.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this thread has caused an uproar. Perhaps there will be some good that comes from this. I doubt there exists a campus that at one time didn't have some form of Dirty Rush occur. Is it the individual within the chapter, or is it a chapter winking it's eye at the practice. In some of the stories, it almost sounds like a methodology.

Some suggest reporting it, but that can really cause trouble for the chapter that was offended. Fines? I thought I've read some chapters build fines into their budget. I like the idea of the two presidents having a "chat". Actually, if I had MY way, the offendig chapter would have to take out a full page ad in the Tiger Weekly or the Revielle, state what they did, apologize and either put them on probation or stick them with so many community hours they wouldn't have time to think up any more evil deeds!

I really feel it all boils down to the standards of the chapter and the girls they pledge. If the chapter makes it's stance on dirty rush known and is serious about it-the likelyhood of it happening would GREATLY decrease.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

JAM - I am sooooooooooooooo dying to know who it is. Just to confirm my suspicions.

This doesn't surprise me one single bit. I have to say - the more I find out about this whole system, the more I'm glad I'm not a part of something like this.

BTW, JAM, there was a special Greek section in the Reveille today - all the ads that the sororities placed with their pledges' names were in it. Let me know if you need a copy.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

h2oot-I agree with your post, especially this-In reality most houses at LSU have a lot in common and the membership is not that dissimilar from one sorority to the next, so if you tear one down you really do harm to your own chapter and more so, to your own character.

With the large number of girls going through recruitment by round 2 you have more than enough WONDERFUL, INTELIGENT, QUALITY PNMs to fill quota for 10 houses. (Great for the sororities, not so great for the PNMs)

Cream-what a great rule, never ever mention another house. I honestly am anxious to learn at what point in the rounds all this happened and if it was coming from random sources in the house or if there was a small group consistantly doing it.

I know there are several lurkers on GC and I figure the odds are somewhat good that this issue will be discussed at some future point. At least, I hope so.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

This upsets me so much! I hate it when people (Greeks and non-Greeks) stereotype members of a certain sorority. I tend to look for the good in all things, and I don't have to look hard to see 10 amazing sororities on LSU's campus. All of them have wonderful things to offer and I don't understand why people have to bring others down instead of focusing on the things that they love about their sorority (sisterhood, etc.) I think it is a good idea to talk to the President of this chapter and I'm sure that she will handle it. Panhellenic could possibly get involved as well. They were very specific about the things that we could and could not say. In past years, it was permissable to say, "I hope to see you tomorrow." However, we couldn't say, "We hope to see you tomorrow." Now, we can't say either. Everything has to be in the present. As always, no other sororities could be mentioned, ever. Nothing like, "so what houses have you been to today?" If a girl would mention a house in passing, I would politely change the subject. I honestly doubt that any of my sisters were guilty, but even so, I would report this, no matter who it was. I take this kind of thing seriously.

Sidenote: A girl that I thought was AWESOME went DG
Old 09-13-2002, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, there are sororities you NEVER hear a whisper about concerning Dirty Rush. Isn't that the whole point? Let the chips (PNMs) fall where they will. No need to try and manipulate the outcome with lies or innuendo. From what I understand, in the past there have been reported incidents. You are probaby more privy to this information then I am, but if I remember correctly, a couple 2-3 years ago there was a stink, but nothing done. (It might have been longer, just REMEMBERED)
Old 09-13-2002, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know what you mean... I sent you a PM
Old 09-13-2002, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
You know, there are sororities you NEVER hear a whisper about concerning Dirty Rush. Isn't that the whole point? Let the chips (PNMs) fall where they will. No need to try and manipulate the outcome with lies or innuendo.
Very well said JAM
Old 09-13-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a chapter that is infamous for promising bids and then putting the promised on their number two list. This wouldn't be so bad if the PNMs hadn't gone to their other house all excited about their "for sure" bid and then being put on the other houses #2 list. Ultimately resulting in cross cutting. It is so unfair to the PNMs. I think we had this happen to about 36 girls which is a lot considering that quota was 36.