GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,311
3 members and 1,308 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Question 1: Recs
1 rec per sorority is perfectly fine. I would not do more than 2 per chapter.

Question 2: I've heard that just because you drop a sorority doesn't mean that you wont get them the next day. Can someone explain to me how it works haha

Yes. During recruitment you will initially attend parties at every sorority. As recruitment progresses, the sororities will be required to release a certain percentage of women, so you'll be attending fewer parties for longer periods of time. As the sororities are releasing women/making cuts, you are ranking the sororities in your order of preference each day. So you may end up getting invited back to a chapter you ranked low on your list because the ones you ranked higher have released you.

Membership selection on the sorority's end is private and confidential to each sorority. Once you're released from a chapter, you will only know that you've been released, and not why. Accept it and move on. All recruitment selection records are destroyed after each recruitment.

Question 3:Wardrobe. I'm one of those girls that loves wearing, cute high waisted shorts and color block it with a cute blouse tucked in with a belt, wedges, bangles, and earrings. That's my usual attire. Or like white,pink,blue or any bright colored skin jeans white a cute top and wedges or color blocked heels. One of the days we have during the week is called Greek Forum. In the recruitment book it says to wear casual yet comfortable clothing. Do yall think this is a little dressy for Greek Forum (which is the first day of recruitment) or is it better to be kinda dressed up then way too dressed down? About two weeks before recruitment week I plan on posting my outfits on here and getting opinions from you guys

Don't post your exact outfits. Don't post too many identifying characteristics about yourself or you risk ruining your recruitment.

Greek Forum is just where you meet your recruitment counselor and the girls going through recruitment with you. No one is meeting you from the sororities for membership consideration. You could show up in workout clothes. Super casual. Jeans or shorts are fine for Greek Forum. The first couple rounds are also very casual nowadays.

The UCF Panhellenic website will have a guide of what to wear each day. Dress up rather than down, but follow the general idea of what is suggested. If everyone is wearing casual shorts and teeshirts, don't show up in a formal dress. You may end up sitting on the floor during some events, so plan accordingly.

Question 4: Is there a way for me to take notes of each sorority that I like while I'm at recruitment so I can for sure remember them whenever I am picking the houses I'd like to go back to each day? Or no?

You can't bring anything into the sorority house with you, but there will be a recruitment counselor outside of every house to watch over your stuff and tell people where to go. So just put a notepad and pen in your purse. You can make notes after each party. Some recruitment counselors even hand out notepads for their girls for this purpose and they collect them each day so you don't lose them.

Question 5: If I know a girl in a certain sorority, whenever I go to her sorority house, I was thinking it would probably be best if I talked to the other girls in the house instead of her just because she already knows who I am, and what I stand for, so it would be best for me to put myself out there and get to know the girls that I do not know right? Or should I talk to her because that way i'll be safe and wont have the chance to give a bad impression to any of the girls who don't know me?

When you go to a sorority house, you'll be paired up with a sorority woman immediately and she'll introduce you to her sisters. So you have to go with the flow and take their lead. You may talk to someone you know, or not, depending on who your host introduces you to. Or if you get someone you know, she may pass you off to someone else. Or she just may come over to say hi. So it is out of your hands.

Question 6: If I am living with one of the girls that are already in a sorority, what am I suppose to do? Should I go stay at a friends house during sorority recruitment? Or would it be ok if I stayed in my house?

No. You stay at your house. Your sorority friend is obligated not to attempt to sell you on her sorority outside of recruitment events. This is her problem, not yours.

Question 7: What kind of photo should I submit? Since I compete in pageant I have a lot of professional headshots, but I don't want to be known as the pageant girl, because theres so much more to me than that.So should I submit just a normal photo of myself off of my facebook or a professional headshot that I have?

For recommenders? The last time I checked UCF wasn't requiring you to submit a photo with your application. Send a flattering photo that looks the way you will appear during recruitment. The idea of sending a photo is so that you are a familiar face during recruitment. (If you're blonde in the photo, don't show up at recruitment with black hair)

Don't worry about being known as the pageant girl; there are a lot of them in UCF sororities. Definitely mention your pageant background at recruitment to help people remember you. It's a "selling point" to demonstrate your experience:talk about your talent, your platform, the "sisterhood" of pageantry, etc., that are all very relevant to sorority life. (I assure you that if you sing or dance, a sorority will put you to work during Homecoming and Greek Week for skit night!)

Question 8: What is the most important things to remember before going through recruitment?

Be yourself, smile, and be a gracious guest when you are in the sorority houses. Keep an open mind to membership in all of them, just as you would want sorority women to keep an open mind about you. Also, put your online profiles on private and keep your preconceived notions or biases about the sororities to yourself.

Question 9: What is the one or two things you didn't know before going through recruitment that you wish you knew while going through?

Your goal at a recruitment event is to meet as many sisters as possible so you can get a sense of one another. Someone will pick you up at the door when you arrive. She will get to know you and introduce you to her sisters. She may pass you off to talk with another sister and leave you to go talk to another prospective member. She's not abandoning you, so don't feel like she wasn't interested in you! At other chapters, you may have the same hostess throughout the party.

It's just one week, so you may think, "I LOVE ABC sorority, but I'm not sure about XYZ," but seriously, you met 3-5 girls out of close to 200 in the chapter. Each day you'll meet more people. Also, the UCF chapters house 150+ girls each. If you can't find a fit in a group that size (you aren't "feeling it" with the chapters still on your list after each round), you probably shouldn't join any club or organization. They all have sisterhood rituals, socials with fraternities, formals, etc., and your membership is what you make of it.

Even if you don't get into your top choice, UCF is really unique in that it's very "Panhellenic," meaning that it is common for sorority women to have strong friendships with other Greek women. Just because you don't join their chapter doesn't mean you can't hang out and be close friends!

Not all of the UCF sororities have chapter houses. Somehow, this translates into the mistaken belief that unhoused chapters are less prestigious or less desirable. That could not be further from the truth. The reality is that UCF's Greek Park didn't expect this many Greek organizations and it keeps on expanding. The school has grown enormously over the last 20 years, and several sororities were added in the last 10 years alone, well after Greek Park completed construction.

Happily for the sororities, and unhappily for the fraternities, the boys keep getting their fraternities kicked off campus. So the girls are buying those houses/the land and getting sorority houses. There are also a couple of sorority and Greek Life housing construction projects going on as we speak. So don't let the house/no house gossip sway your opinion. Because next year, that chapter could have a house. Additionally, having a concrete house doesn't make a chapter. The members do!
Good luck!

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-17-2013 at 11:11 AM.