GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 891
1 members and 890 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
SOOOooo, like if she were just a random somebody with no kid in a sorority she could ask this question and you would be OK with it? Sheesh! Give us a break!

I am of the opinion that anybody ought to be able to ask an innocent question around here and not find feet in their throats!
Actually, yes...if she was some random person, and GC was her best source for info, I wouldn't think twice about it. Besides, some random person is probably either a)a PNM who doesn't have an "in", or b) completely 100% hypothetical, because I doubt we have too many random people without daughters (or sons) who come here to ask questions about Greeklife.

I am of the opinion that people shouldn't ask questions of random people on TEH INTARWEBZ that they could easily find out directly from the source. If these girls are old enough to have made it into college, they are old enough to find out the answers themselves.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

There it goes......my argument, my poor little argument.....

Thanks, a lot, AOPMOM.

Seriously--I realize you're probably just trying to help.

I've learned three new things here:

Alpha Frog is not so bad.

No good deed goes unpunished.

And..

Ask'em to walk a mile in your shoes, and they're a mile away--with YOUR shoes.

I'd insert some smileys, but I just can't bring myself to touch them.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been on this board for over a year and frankly I find some of the "snarkiness" amusing also, but this has gotten ridiculous. Whether or not you find my example relevant is immaterial. The woman asked a question. Stupider questions have been asked. My point is that if she had not been a parent she would not have elicited (sp?) the response that she did. Alpha Frog has the Gift of Snark, no doubt, but enough is enough. Helicopter parents annoy me as well, and believe me I know all about them, but to be that accusatory over an innocent question was uncalled for.

I also have a question regarding the whole rush ordeal at Bama this year....has to do with AOPi also....neither of my girls are AOPis, this is about a local girl..but I will keep my mouth shut...not fond of frog toes.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
If these girls are old enough to have made it into college, they are old enough to find out the answers themselves.
You're right about these girls being old enough to find out the answers themselves.

But, In defense of the OP ( )...

If her daughter is a new member, she might still be so overwhelmed with NM stuff that she doesn't know who to ask. Or, she might secretly not want her friend to be in AOII, and so she doesn't really want to ask (so she puts her mom up to it in a pseudo-anonymous kind of way). Or, maybe neither of these is right, and I'm giving the OP too much credit. We'll never know.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

SECMom, pretty please--what is your question about Bama's rush?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The only way they could offer a bid if they filled quota is if filling quota still didn't put them at campus total, and that isn't the case here.
And what if they have a couple drop out of their new member class before initiation?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And what if they have a couple drop out of their new member class before initiation?
That still wouldn't make any difference. AOPi currently has more than 200 members, and house total is 180.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

SECMom, I'm with you. Ultimately, everybody here who obeys the TOS has a right to post whatever they want, even if it's snarky, but I'd be happy to see a little more patience with newbies.

It's striking to me that on this board, a mild insult to a CHAPTER merits a quick and universal smackdown, but yelling insults at a fellow poster is so common. I'm much less bothered by someone's opinion that the Mu Nus at Illinois are stuck-up than I am by being yelled at, and that would still be true even if I'd been an Illinois Mu Nu.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Campus total is 180 and the AOII chapter currently has 222 members, so they wouldn't be participating in Spring rush.
222 members?! All I can say is WOW!!!! Numbers wise, AOPi was a mid-level Panhellenic sorority last year! I wonder if real soon the percent of Alabama undergraduate females in a sorority will be at the late-1980's numbers of a third or even higher?!! Also, I wonder if A Chi O and Kappa Delta are now more than 250 members and if Pi Beta Phi with around 165 members last year is now 200 or more?! Definitely at most schools, if you asked sororities if they could get those numbers, they'd throw their heads back, let out a loud quick laugh, and say "In your DREAMS, babe!" And keep on laughing!

Seriously, Bama' Panhellenic has MUCH to be proud of!!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
SECMom, I'm with you. Ultimately, everybody here who obeys the TOS has a right to post whatever they want, even if it's snarky, but I'd be happy to see a little more patience with newbies.

It's striking to me that on this board, a mild insult to a CHAPTER merits a quick and universal smackdown, but yelling insults at a fellow poster is so common. I'm much less bothered by someone's opinion that the Mu Nus at Illinois are stuck-up than I am by being yelled at, and that would still be true even if I'd been an Illinois Mu Nu.
I think I understand what you are saying, but the insults to the chapter in recruitment threads are taken pretty seriously because they are kind of a stupid course of action. If you don't know where you will end up with a bid, it's not smart to bust on any chapters in your 1st round reviews. Why start publicly writing off groups who might end up being your only options later?

I would like us to be a lot kinder to new posters and not be so quick to second guess their motivation. I think it's fine to ask questions simply because you are curious about how stuff works even if there's no need to know. I think it's fine to ask even if there was a thread about the same topic in 2004.

I do however think that second guessing heli-parents may be doing society a service because maybe the ones who really are hovering too much will stop and think about why they assume their children are too crippled themselves to perform basic tasks. And normal parents will have a good reason for asking, so it really shouldn't bother them. But this is a policy I'd like to see in real life too, not just Greek Chat policy.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I think I understand what you are saying, but the insults to the chapter in recruitment threads are taken pretty seriously because they are kind of a stupid course of action. If you don't know where you will end up with a bid, it's not smart to bust on any chapters in your 1st round reviews. Why start publicly writing off groups who might end up being your only options later?

I would like us to be a lot kinder to new posters and not be so quick to second guess their motivation. I think it's fine to ask questions simply because you are curious about how stuff works even if there's no need to know. I think it's fine to ask even if there was a thread about the same topic in 2004.

I do however think that second guessing heli-parents may be doing society a service because maybe the ones who really are hovering too much will stop and think about why they assume their children are too crippled themselves to perform basic tasks. And normal parents will have a good reason for asking, so it really shouldn't bother them. But this is a policy I'd like to see in real life too, not just Greek Chat policy.
Well, unless we all become psychic second-guessing will be just that, second-guessing. It could be that the OP thought up her question all by herself. AND, it could also be that she is NOT a heli-parent. This is the internet, you just don't know. Which is why I feel like attacking people because we think that they just might adhere to a style of parenting that we disapprove of (especially those of us who haven't been at the whole parenting thing very long....). As a matter of fact, if someone is a heli-parent, they are likely to think that YOU are wrong and your opinion of them isnt' going to change a darn thing. I learned this by experience...

Let's just all play nice.........
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I don't advocate doing it rudely.

For example, in this thread, rather than the language that AlphaFrog used, I might have just said,

"AOIIMom, why doesn't your daughter just ask someone in the sorority if they will be doing an additional recruitment? Surely they will know better than we do."

(ETA: after she was given the info. or quota and total, I mean, not instead of that.)

And if AOII mom was a heliparent (I have no idea if she is or not), she'd maybe think about that for a minute. And if she wasn't, there'd be a good reason that she asked instead which she'd either share or not share depending on what the reason was.

It's really not about rudeness or oneupmanship. It's about calling attention to the possibility that what they are doing isn't the automatically reasonable thing that they think it is. I honestly believe that leaving helicopters unquestioned is partially what perpetuates the behavior. It's not normal; and the parents who do it apparently need to be reminded of that, or the rest of us are going to be dealing with their helpless offspring for a mighty long time.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-12-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
222 members?! All I can say is WOW!!!! Numbers wise, AOPi was a mid-level Panhellenic sorority last year! I wonder if real soon the percent of Alabama undergraduate females in a sorority will be at the late-1980's numbers of a third or even higher?!! Also, I wonder if A Chi O and Kappa Delta are now more than 250 members and if Pi Beta Phi with around 165 members last year is now 200 or more?! Definitely at most schools, if you asked sororities if they could get those numbers, they'd throw their heads back, let out a loud quick laugh, and say "In your DREAMS, babe!" And keep on laughing!

Quite an accomplishment for a mid-level sorority. Must be dumb luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Quite an accomplishment for a mid-level sorority. Must be dumb luck.
You may have just been being playful, but the post you were responding to does make clear that it was mid-level numbers wise, which is a little different than just saying it's a mid-level group generally, IMO.

Besides that, if anyone doubts the chapter's overall outstanding quality, all they have to do is read the AOPiBamaMom thread and get set straight. Remember the one right after rush about how much her daughter loves the chapter?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=89619

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-12-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Pi Phi has 144 Actives, 79 NM for a Chapter total of 223!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post

Closed Thread