GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,042
0 members and 1,042 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
You can subscribe to the thread so you get emails when someone has posted. After you login at the top of the thread there is a button "Thread Tools". Click on it and select "Subscribe to this Thread".
Yeah, I know. That's the point. I don't want to look everytime someone posts with a "I can't wait to see how your story ends!" AND, I won't waste my time reading the beginning of the story if the girl never does come back to finish.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, I know. That's the point. I don't want to look everytime someone posts with a "I can't wait to see how your story ends!" AND, I won't waste my time reading the beginning of the story if the girl never does come back to finish.
and I don't understand why, if it's not real time, you even have to post it in segments over x number of days. Just post all of it at the same time and be done. I really hate how lately people have been starting and never ending recruitment stories.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
and I don't understand why, if it's not real time, you even have to post it in segments over x number of days. Just post all of it at the same time and be done. I really hate how lately people have been starting and never ending recruitment stories.
Word. I think if a story isn't updated in a reasonable amount of time, the thread should be locked so it falls off the page and doesn't continue to be relentlessly rebumped by people begging for the finish. Seriously..... after a week or so of no updating who really remembers or cares about the story anymore?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Word. I think if a story isn't updated in a reasonable amount of time, the thread should be locked so it falls off the page and doesn't continue to be relentlessly rebumped by people begging for the finish. Seriously..... after a week or so of no updating who really remembers or cares about the story anymore?
Amen! And now others have checked this thread five times thinking she came back to finish her story.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

MY APOLOGIES!

Hi everyone! I'm so so sorry that I'm the worst at updating this. I've been really busy and I'm swamped with finals and papers and extracurriculars and work that I haven't had time to update this which I know is no excuse since all of us have lives and are busy but still fulfill our obligations on GC!

I promise I'll update this in a few days when my finals end so for now don't worry about checking this thread! I'm just struggling a little with school right now, argh. Finals and having to save borderline grades= NOT fun.

My apologies again and I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was good!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 3!

sorry for the delay everybody!!!

On the third day, we were to be invited back to a max of four houses. The attire was a little more formal, like sundresses and such. I got invited back to:

Toofer
Jack
Pete

I was only mildly bummed that I didn't get a full schedule, but I was happy that I still got Jack (one of my top picks). I had a free hour in the beginning, so I think I spent it going home and curling my hair out of boredom, hahaha.

TOOFER: We walked into their backyard and actives came out and called our names one by one. My name was called out by a girl who I had met earlier that spring (went on a roadtrip with her and some other Toofer girls that I was invited to by my Toofer best friend), so it was pretty fun and relaxing to talk with her as we did the little craft that they assigned. We didn't even go off the typical recruitment script, we just talked about life and our summers and her new apartment and things like that. After that I talked to another girl where the conversation was casual as well. This girl was nice but a little odd; she made a couple of questionable remarks that could be touted as racism (maybe it was her attempt to be funny? I'm not really sure) and didn't seem like the most genuine conversationalist. Oh well! I left Toofer not too impressed.

JACK: I was a little nervous for this house. I don't know what it was but visiting their house on Day 2 made me REALLY like them and feel so happy there. My name was called out by a girl I'd spoke to before, so I was really excited to see her again. We went on a house tour and they talked about their philanthropy. From the presentations, it seemed like the girls at this house did a LOT of philanthropy--they held fundraisers and also went out and spent time with the subjects of their philanthropy and contributed to the campus community with their philanthropy as well---I was definitely SUPER impressed. Two or three other girls I'd met before spoke to me after that, and each time I met them we hugged and they seemed as happy to see me again as I was to see them. It was really relaxed and we pretty much just talked about pets and reality television and had a lot of fun. I left this house really happy and hoping to get invited back!

PETE: I was definitely still elated from Jack, but I tried to keep an open mind for Pete. It was nice talking to the girls I had spoken to before at Pete, but their philanthropy efforts didn't impress me as much as Pete's. I did have a nice conversation with one of the girls with how we both wanted to live in New York City someday! Haha.

When I made my rankings that evening, I definitely knew that I wanted to put Jack as first. I was pretty sure that I wasn't interested in Toofer, so I ranked Pete as my second 1. My rankings looked like:

1. Jack
1. Pete
2. Toofer

Will post about Pref night in the next 15 minutes!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

PREF NIGHT.

We had a day and a half in between Day 3 and Day 4 (Pref Night), so I was SUPER nervous. I felt like I could practically barf on cue if someone asked me to, and I had constant butterflies in my stomach.

Went to campus to meet my Rho Chi group, and finally got my schedule after waiting for what seemed like forever (they told us to come super early because I think they expected girls to be late?). It said:

1. Pete
2. Jack

Was suuuuuper thrilled to get Jack and was pleased that I didn't get Toofer. At this point I wasn't sure how to feel about Pete, but I knew that a lot of girls said that Pref Night changed their minds because its so special and intimate, so I decided to just go with the flow.

PETE: I reached Pete and the girl I was paired with was one I had spoken to before. We got really cute little name tags and little cupcakes to eat (and I'm never one to turn down a cupcake, hahaha). The conversation was pretty easygoing, and we talked about our families and things like that. After that they had the ceremony of girls speaking about how much Pete meant to them and the President gave a really heartwarming speech. The pref night event at Pete soon ended, and I had to give my name tag back to the girl who I was speaking with. When I gave it back to her, she said "I'll save this for tomorrow!" which was kind of weird because our Rho Chi told us that the actives weren't supposed to say things like that...oh well, haha. I just smiled and thanked her for a great evening and we hugged goodbye. Upon leaving, I realized that the girl I spoke to forgot to ask for my calling card, so I rushed back and told a girl there. When I gave it to her, she said "Oh, I'm really glad you came back tonight! Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!" which was (again) a little weird for me. I chose not to think over it too much and focused on getting to Jack.

JACK: I was a little more nervous for Jack than I was for Pete. The decorations for this house were INSANELY good. I don't want to reveal too much because I'm pretty sure one of their decorations is unique to this house (from what I've Googled, haha) but it was pretty impressive. The girl who I spoke to was one who I had briefly spoken to on one of the previous days, and I think that we were from neighboring hometowns. When we sat down at the table, she asked me if I looked at the card. Unsure about what she was referring to at first, I realized that inside our little place cards were handwritten notes from the actives! The note was REALLY sweet and personal and it made me feel so special. We were doing the typical "so how are you doing? Pref night's so exciting!" thing until she asked me, "So I know I'm not supposed to ask this, what house did you just return from?". This question made me feel REALLY uneasy, since I'm pretty sure that we weren't supposed to talk about the other houses...in my mind I was thinking "then why did you ask it???". In that split second, I almost half considered lying and saying I went to a different house since I knew that this sorority had a closer relationship with this house than with the house I went to for Pref. But I ended up just telling her the house I did go to. She then asked me how it was, and I tried to give her as neutral of an answer as possible, by just saying it was alright. I wasn't sure if she was fishing for a particular answer, but I definitely didn't want her to think that I lost interest in Jack. The rest of the night went reasonably well--the ceremony that they performed for us was beautiful, and the speech that the President gave made me feel like I loved this house even more. At the end of the night I was definitely sorry to leave, but I hugged the girl who I spoke to during pref and went to meet my Rho Chi.

When we met with our Rho Chi, she gave us information about ISP-ing. The benefits, the risks, etc. I wasn't sure whether or not to ISP Jack or not, since I felt a strong connection there more than Pete. I decided in the end that I didn't want a situation like last year, and that I'd rather be in a sorority than not be in a sorority at all. I put down Jack as my first preference, and Pete as my second preference.

Will post Bid Day details tomorrow and I promise I will NOT let weeks and weeks go by...hahaha. Stay tuned!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We're waaaaaaiiiiting....

Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone!

So it was finally Bid Day. I was so nervous that I woke up at like 8am and couldn't go back to sleep, which left me with tons of time to try to distract myself from the nervousness. I tried hard to convince myself that there was an equal likelihood of getting asked back to Pete or Jack and it was difficult since I felt a strong connection to the girls at Jack and didn't really feel swayed in either direction at Pete.

I went to meet my Rho Chi, and one by one she called out our names to open our bid cards. My heart was POUNDING. It was pretty freaky. I went to receive my bid card, and I received a bid from....

Pete! Needless to say, I was a teeny tiny bit disappointed that I didn't get Jack. But I had read a lot of the threads on GC, and even though Pete was my second choice, I decided to try it out. It took time for me to warm up to Pete, but things like pledge retreat and initiation really made me feel proud to be a Pete, and I'm happy with my new sisters and I'm almost glad that I didn't get a bid to Toofer when I rushed as a sophomore because I'm so much happier here at Pete. I sometimes wonder about what life would have been like as a Jack, but I know that if I had gotten a bid at Jack I wouldn't have gotten to know the girls that are my sisters here at Pete.

Oh, and Pete is....

Delta Delta Delta.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Your story gave me hope as an upperclassmen wanting to rush
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemony View Post
When I gave it back to her, she said "I'll save this for tomorrow!" which was kind of weird because our Rho Chi told us that the actives weren't supposed to say things like that
Not okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemony View Post
Upon leaving, I realized that the girl I spoke to forgot to ask for my calling card, so I rushed back and told a girl there. When I gave it to her, she said "Oh, I'm really glad you came back tonight! Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!" which was (again) a little weird for me. !
Okay.

Just so you're prepared for next year

I'm glad you gave us a shot. I hope the women in your chapter do more with philanthropy this year especially since our new goal is to raise $15 million by 2015.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations. Come on over to our forum and introduce yourself.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Chicago88: Good luck! There's a pretty solid amount of juniors who rush at my school--in fact i'm pretty sure there were a few seniors who rushed too (we have one senior in our pledge class and I think the Theta chapter at my school has a couple of seniors in their pledge class too).

jennyj87: Thanks for the advice! Our chapter's doing informal recruitment next semester so I'm probably going to have to learn all about recruitment do's and don'tsooner than I thought.

pearlbubbles: Thanks! I'll definitely stop by the DDD forum and say hi.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thats awesome lemony! Congrats girl! From what I hear the school I want to go to has a pretty fair share of sophmores and juniors who rush so fingers crossed!
Closed Thread