GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,331
1 members and 1,330 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dznat187
I agree that quality is better than quantity, but i feel a no frills recuitment is better. my chapter is trying to recruit members we know are going to be leaders and get stuff done. those tend to be the students who are already involved in campus activities. i am a prime example of this. i was a junior when i joined dz and was already on exec board for the newspaper, radio station and glbt support group. i didnt do formal recruitment and was able to go to the events that i could around my schedule. my issters also took the time to work around my busy schedule for new member ed and i still did everything i needed to. i am now very very involved in my chapte and have been since i was initiated. and now as an alumni, i am keeping up with my involvement. i think with the right students, a less structured recruitment is necessary, but that doesn't mean just partying whenever. and we gotta do something to change because what we are doing as a community is obviously not working and with so much more offered at colleges, we have to work with our potential brothers and sisters.
I totally agree with what you and SmartBlondeGPhB said. We have to change for the new millennial student. Universities are doing this with apartment styled housing instead of dorms. It's going crazy at Nebraska. There are new buildings going up constantly.

We have had discussions about this subject at our conferences and are trying to taylor our greek life to supplement these new students. Some are the first in their family to go to college. They are tech savvy, more independent, etc.

Plus, I never really saw the point of those carnival style recruitment deals sororities do anyway.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
I totally agree with what you and SmartBlondeGPhB said. We have to change for the new millennial student.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! !

Sorry, but if I hear one more thing about the "millenial student" I'm gonna take someone out, yo.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! !

Sorry, but if I hear one more thing about the "millenial student" I'm gonna take someone out, yo.
Why? Did I miss something? Is it the label "millenial student" or is it the fact that students in college now are different that 10 years ago?
(curious)

PsychTau
Old 07-24-2005, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, please describe your distaste for the millenial student. I was in college in the late 90's and considered myself a part of that group. I was on the internet in 1993 and was the first in my family to go to college. I am pretty independantly minded and wasn't sure about a roommate. (Coincidentally, I went to college for 5 years, stayed in the dorms all 5 years, and I only had a roommate for the 1st year.) I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:19 PM

No sweeties, it's not the student, it's the label.

Kinda like calling every generation other than Baby Boomers "Generation X." grrrrrrrr

I just do not like labels in general. Everyone is different and I'm sure there are some people of the "m.s" age that have none of those qualities whatsoever.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
No sweeties, it's not the student, it's the label.

Kinda like calling every generation other than Baby Boomers "Generation X." grrrrrrrr

I just do not like labels in general. Everyone is different and I'm sure there are some people of the "m.s" age that have none of those qualities whatsoever.
LOL! This has been a hot topic in my seminary. There are those who whole-heartedly agree with you and say that you can't put a label on everyone like that. Then there are others (and I lean more this way) that see certain trends that are shared by the majority of any given generation. That's not saying that all "Gen Xers" are the same by any means.

By the way, the generation right after "Baby Boomers" is "Baby Busters." I always thought that was kinda cute - well the reason behind it isn't but the terminology is.

As far as the "millenial student" - argh! I too was in college in the 90s and I never heard this term. It isn't very descriptive of any trends and it's not at all appealing to me.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I am not really sure what a label that is placed on a group makes any difference.

Kids are Kids and that really about covers it.

Oh, the labels are placed by Eco and Certain other Ology Groups to jusify thier jobs. Peer preassure and Lifes events are the the key to reasons that certain generations do and react to, ergo, The Viet Nam War for on example.

What the heck, you are born, you live, and you die. What each is doing in between is each ones personell business isnt it?

Pretty Simple isnt it when you think about it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 07-24-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

"Baby Busters", "Generation X", "13th Generation", etc. are all the same thing. The generation sandwiched between the Baby Boomers and the Millenials. The term "Baby Busters" reflects the dramatic downward shift in the birth rate following the explosion of the Baby Boomers in the 40s-50s. The "Baby Bust" generation is significantly smaller than the generation on either side of it, and that is supposedly one of the reasons for the impending "Social Security Crisis".
Old 07-27-2005, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the Utah issue. Generally LDS students do not join traditional GLO's. The University of Utah while it does have a high LDS population actually has more nonLDS students as the popular choice for LDS students is down the road in Provo.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, that's changed since I was there (almost 10 years ago!)

The U was about 50% LDS, and I would say that while most of the fraternities had almost all non-LDS members (Sigma Chi being a notable exception), the PHC sororities all had LDS members-- some were even almost entirely LDS, but all of them had nearly 50% LDS members (except one house which had more of a 'party' reputation). But the LDS sororities weren't nearly as popular, either.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Sorry, But I keep Reading LSD Students!

Not on Drugs but brain washed!

Oh, Them, Not Me!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-27-2005, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you implying that LDS church members are brainwashed? That's a pretty disparaging comment. I would never denigrate someone else's religion like that, even though I am not LDS. Perhaps going to school in Utah taught me a little more tolerance.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Really, I grew up in the Independence, Mo. area and We Have RLDS!

I know the Polotics of the Diaboltical Clan of Smith!

Why, were They run out of so many places?

Ill., Iowa , Mo. and then to Utah.

Dispareriging Relegion is in My Nature so to speak.

Religion is Lie As*holes, everyone has one!

I have seen somewhat first hand and I did not like it but I liked My own Better. But, to say Mine is More Right is Wrong.

I do not profess that Mine is more proficient than others!

I do not say if You are not Mine, then You are Wrong!

I only report to one person, not some prophet who said He Was!

Hi, My Name is Smith, Jones, Etc!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-27-2005, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh??
Old 07-27-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess You dont really Know do you?

Study, and learn, is that simple enough?

RLDS, Reorganized Church Of Later Day Saints for your information.

Seek, and You might find!

LX Z # 1
Alumni