GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,425
4 members and 1,421 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands, QueenD, Titchou

Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Meliahna
I certainly never meant to ask for anything to be divulged that wasn't mean to be. I SO SORRY if it came across that way. I just thought that you all as members may hear about it when it's announced wheras I wouldn't hear about it until I was actually on a campus or involved in an org. I really did not mean to be offensive or intrusive in any way. I'm so sorry for any confusion.
Millie, no offense is taken at all! We are just very protective of Alpha Gamma Delta and her good name. We don't want to "jump the gun" and make announcements before our International Council does so.

Please don't feel badly because you didn't do anything wrong; but please be aware that the GC Alpha Gams will not publicly discuss anything to do with extension presentations or invitations until International Council has given its permission first.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Meliahna

I certainly never meant to ask for anything to be divulged that wasn't mean to be. I SO SORRY if it came across that way. I just thought that you all as members may hear about it when it's announced wheras I wouldn't hear about it until I was actually on a campus or involved in an org. I really did not mean to be offensive or intrusive in any way. I'm so sorry for any confusion.
Co-sign what Maria said.

I also apologize if my post gave you the indication that I was jumping down your throat. You certainly did not do anything wrong! You're very proud to be in this organization as are we, and you can't help but feel pride when you hear about AGD extending. I know I do.

I hope this clears things up!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JPowers155 Send a message via Yahoo to JPowers155
Alpha Gam Chapter Wish List

1. Michigan State University
2. University of Maryland
3. Alpha Chapter
4. At least one Alpha Gam Chapter at every land grant college in the country
5. One Alpha Gam Chapter, Alumnae Club, Junior Circle in every major metropolitan area

Selfishly, I want a chapter at Maryland b/c I live here now. I was on the team that closed Chi (Michigan State) and it was the toughest thing I've ever done. As for the rest... you all know why.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brilia
I want to see recolinization in Texas. We used to have chapters at University of Texas in Austin and Texas Tech, I'm not sure about if we had one at A&M or not. I know UT closed in the 80's. I think that there are only 4 active chapters currently in Texas now. And of course reopen Alpha.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Meliahna
actually...I'm not a member
just an interested (and slightly nosy) hopeful!

i know this may not be public knowledge, but if it is could someone PLEASE tell me why MSU's chapter closed? I tried to find out last summer and only ended up with one person emailing me her phone number saying she had the answer. I have to say, the idea of calling a complete stranger wasn't something i was completely comfortable with. again, i understand if you *can't* tell me...i'm just slightly confused. that chapter had been around for so long! and every AGD girl i've met (limited number) and all of you guys are so nice, intelligent...etc it's hard to imagine it was something like low numbers. but i don't know too much about msu's numbers. anyway, i'm rambling.

Millie

Last edited by Meliahna; 06-18-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So many people ask "why did XYZ Chapter close?" and the answers are difficult and rarely give the full picture.

Whenever the Fraternity closes a chapter, there are many reasons. It can be financial (those huge houses cost a fortune to keep up), a really competitive Greek system on campus, a college administration that's opposed to Greeks - the list goes on.

I cannot (and will not) discuss the reasons that Chi closed except to say that it was done with the full expectation that in due time, we would recolonize. Alpha Beta (University of Michigan) did the same thing and they have been a tremendous success.

As a (former) East Lansing townie, closing a chapter in my hometown was one of the hardest things I've ever done but I know that in the long run it was the best possible outcome.

Not the answer I suspect that you were hoping for... but it's the only one you will ever get from a member of our Fraternity who wishes to remain in good standing.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Meliahna
I kinda knew I couldn't expect details...Thanks for telling me what you could. That whole call me and I'll spill thing sounded awfuly sketchy...probably would have been rubbish anyway.

If (when) you recolonize would you be looking to recruit girls of a larger age range than normal rush?

lol, I'm not even going to state yet, I might be putting school off for 10 months but I am so fascinated by all of this. sorry to be so nosy

Thanks again,
Millie
Old 06-18-2004, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It is definitely a good thing to have a wide range of classes represented in a recolonization. It can be a real challenge to have a class of 50+ freshmen women start out together and, as a result, graduate together. Various levels of maturity can be helpful too.

No matter how nice and sweet a group of women may be, it doesn't mean that they are strong recruiters, have a good rep on campus, etc. There are so many factors that can lead to a chapter getting small. Additionally, in my experience (20 years as an AGD, on EC or as an advisor or member of the VST except for one year), on every campus I've worked with, the "strong" groups rotate around. We may be on top for several years and suddenly another group surpasses and stays on top for a while. There are also economic and cultural trends. When we are in a rough economy, less women go through recruitment. Some generations are more anti-establishment and tend to look down on Greek Life in general. We are in one of those periods now.. both a rough economy and a bit of an anti-establishment trend. It will cycle around again though.

Dee
Old 06-19-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Dee is absolutely right (I should have known!) about the cycle of Greek organizations on a campus. For a few years, Group A is the hottest/ strongest and then Group B takes over and so on. Sometimes during the shuffle, a group has a few unsuccessful recruitment seasons and then you're talking about closing a chapter.

Recolonization takes collegians, alumnae, community, NPC and campus support. Plus money. If I remember correctly, Alpha Gam is either #4 or #5 in the line up to recolonize at MSU. My guess is that it won't be for several years, perhaps even a decade.

If you are interested in Alpha Gam... and a great education, you might consider one of the other schools in the area that have chapters (Alma College, CMU, U of M, Wayne State, Eastern Michigan, MTU, Northern Michigan, Kettering or Northwood). As you can see, Michigan is a great place to be an Alpha Gam!

I'm an alumna of Alma College, so of course I'm biased, but if there are any other Michigan Alpha Gam sisters who want to offer their opinions to our guests, feel free!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sheenie_Marinie
Smile

Alpha- for the blatantly obvious reasons :

I would also like to see more chapters in Texas. Currently, there are only 4 chapters (I believe) in Texas. I am a member of Epsilon Psi, and I would personally LOVE to see more Alpha Gam chapters in Texas. I mean really ... who doesn't love a Southern Girl?

Love and Loyalty!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 AM
agdkate

Alpha - of course - but also:

University of Florida
Clemson
Duke
Ole Miss
UConn
LSU
RPI
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

If RPI is Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, that's Zeta Eta, and they are alive and well!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
agdkate

Actually that was an absolute brain fart.... I meant to say RIC (Rhode Island College)
Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

hi!

im new to greekchat and this is my very first post i would love to see agd in cali (USC, Pepperdine & more of the UC's) as well as on the east coast! (BU, GWU, Cornell, Hamilton). but i guess im a tad bit biased because i grew up on the east coast and was debating for the longest time between Hamilton, BU & USC! (im an alpha gam at UBC; how and why i am in canada is a really long story hehe

love,
nikkie
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers155 View Post
Dee is absolutely right (I should have known!) about the cycle of Greek organizations on a campus. For a few years, Group A is the hottest/ strongest and then Group B takes over and so on. Sometimes during the shuffle, a group has a few unsuccessful recruitment seasons and then you're talking about closing a chapter.

Recolonization takes collegians, alumnae, community, NPC and campus support. Plus money. If I remember correctly, Alpha Gam is either #4 or #5 in the line up to recolonize at MSU. My guess is that it won't be for several years, perhaps even a decade.

If you are interested in Alpha Gam... and a great education, you might consider one of the other schools in the area that have chapters (Alma College, CMU, U of M, Wayne State, Eastern Michigan, MTU, Northern Michigan, Kettering or Northwood). As you can see, Michigan is a great place to be an Alpha Gam!

I'm an alumna of Alma College, so of course I'm biased, but if there are any other Michigan Alpha Gam sisters who want to offer their opinions to our guests, feel free!
I'm an Alpha Gam at Northwood and I can't agree more! Great state to be because almost any college you go to we're here!