GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,190
1 members and 1,189 guests
Xidelt

Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
At some competitive schools, she would indeed have the disadvantages that any sophomore has. It happened to one of our daughters. Since then, we have encouraged our children who do dual enrollment to stop shy of 30 hours, not because of the recruitment disadvantage but because of something worse--at a lot of schools, you're not eligible for first-year scholarships if you passed 30. You actually get discriminated against for excelling!
She said she's still considered a freshman, which suggests that she doesn't have 30 hours (or 24 or whatever the standard for that school is.)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
We're talking about full rides in some cases, not some $500 supplement! A lot of students know exactly which award they're aiming for at which school.
But then, shouldn't they be done in only three years? If you have a year less to pay for, isn't that the same as getting a one-year free ride?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Pandora2011

Cool concurrent enrollment

K. I've only taken 15 hrs., so I'm still a freshman. I understand that I have to enroll in at least 12 hrs to be considered a full-time student, and at this point my unweighted H.S. GPA is 4.0 and my college GPA is 4.0, also. I still plan to attend college for 4 years (I've waited my whole life for this, why would I want to cut it short?), taking concurrent classes was not my way of finishing on the "fast-track". I've done community service, held student government positions, and been active in school organizations. My question was more about how the chapters may view my college credit. Is having completed these college classes going to cause me grief during recruitment?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora2011 View Post
K. I've only taken 15 hrs., so I'm still a freshman. I understand that I have to enroll in at least 12 hrs to be considered a full-time student, and at this point my unweighted H.S. GPA is 4.0 and my college GPA is 4.0, also. I still plan to attend college for 4 years (I've waited my whole life for this, why would I want to cut it short?), taking concurrent classes was not my way of finishing on the "fast-track". I've done community service, held student government positions, and been active in school organizations. My question was more about how the chapters may view my college credit. Is having completed these college classes going to cause me grief during recruitment?
Shouldn't, no. It should reflect well on you more than anything.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Pandora2011

Thanks. I'm sure that I'm not the only PNM that will have college credits on their transcript. I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but an alumna suggested that I not tell any of the chapters. My recruitment forms specifically ask for college information and I felt like it would be dishonest not to include it. The chapters would find out anyway when they checked my grades with the university, and that would be way worse than being upfront. Anyway, her suggestion made it seem like it was a really bad thing.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora2011 View Post
Thanks. I'm sure that I'm not the only PNM that will have college credits on their transcript. I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but an alumna suggested that I not tell any of the chapters. My recruitment forms specifically ask for college information and I felt like it would be dishonest not to include it. The chapters would find out anyway when they checked my grades with the university, and that would be way worse than being upfront. Anyway, her suggestion made it seem like it was a really bad thing.
Unless there's something I'm not thinking of that wasn't addressed upthread, I don't know why it would be a bad thing.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Pandora, as concurrent enrollment is pretty common in Oklahoma, I can't see this working against you. Surely this is something which comes up all the time.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 04-02-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I've never heard of such a thing (ACP vs CP). And yeah, what does it really matter? You get into college before you get your diploma.

That's my point. I don't think a lot of them need it as much. The kids who are really strapped were working at McDonald's 30 hours a week instead of taking college classes. That's been my experience, anyway.
You don't have to be below the federal poverty line to need financial aid.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!