GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,329
3 members and 1,326 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 06-02-2002, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KoolAid Send a message via Yahoo to KoolAid
Lightbulb

Major: Special Education (Varying Exceptionalities)

Minor: Afro-American Studies

Internships: Each fall and spring since my freshman year at an Elementary School (I'm a junior now)

Future: It's hard to say, I want to either teach special ed students (obviously), be an advocate for special education, or go to medical school to be a Pediatric Oncologist. I'm waiting on God, because right now, I'm confused.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Double Major Anthropology / African & African American Studies

I have an internship working with a nonprofit organization who (to make the long stroy short) works to promote cultural diversity.

I plan to go to grad school and earn a PhD in Anthropology and I guess I will be a college professor. I would like to apply my knowledge to the real world though through a nonprofit or something.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
Aaight! I feel the criminal justice majors!

Major: I think we know(look up)

Minor: Women's and Minority Studies...

At the moment, I think I'm going home to enter into police academy after I graduate, and then work for 2-5 years, get my Masters in criminal justice, and then hopefully move into the DEA(drug enforcement agency) or the ATF (alcohol, tobacco, and firearms bureau).
I'm also very troubled with the amount of battered women who get harsh punishments for killing their abusers, but I don't know what to do about that...
Old 06-03-2002, 08:31 AM
kissy324

Re: College Majors/Minors

Questions:
What is/was your college major(s)? Political Science/ Criminal Justice

What is/was your college minor(s)? American Politics

FOR THE GRADUATES/WORKING FOLKS:
What are you doing now professionally? I am a felony, Adult County Probation Officer. I am also completing my thesis, to obtain my Masters in Justice Studies, then it's off to law school.

How did your major(s)/minor(s) prepare you to do your job? I learned the criminal justice system, but honestly, I didn't REALLY learn the ins-and-outs until I started actually working in the field.

What internships did you do to get ready for your profession? I did my internship at a law firm, which was more of a intro. to the field of law.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
My Major: English (with a concentration in Literature)
My Minor: Sociology

I'm graduating in May of 2003, after pushing it back from December '02.

I plan to teach high school with my degree. I'm toying around with going back for my Masters' in English, or maybe start looking into Higher Education. I think I could make a good Administrator!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 06-03-2002, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What is/was your college major(s)?
I majored in Psychology and English after dropping the Sociology and replacing it with English. Initially I wanted to be a child psychologist after teaching high school for a while. It has been 4 years and I enjoy the heck out of snow days, June/July/August, and my students.

What is/was your college minor(s)? I minored in education which for Wittenberg qualified me to teach secondary education. I also minored in Women's Studies because I took so many classes in the Humanities that a Woman Perspective and my English advisor was the chair of the Women's Studies department. I was ONE CLASS away from being a sociology minor.

What are you doing now professionally?
I teach high school English in Columbus, Ohio. Prayerfully, I will be calling Charlotte, North Carolina home at the end of the month.

How did your major(s)/minor(s) prepare you to do your job? Honestly, I learned a lot but not as much about actually teaching English and grammar to high school students. However, my field experiences and student teaching assignments gave me that real classroom experience that helped me tremendously.

What internships did you do to get ready for your profession? I served as a tutor counselor for Upward Bound and after graduation, I taught a creative writing class. I also served as a camp counselor one summer. Then my field experiences and student teaching were the most valuable experiences overall.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: College Majors/Minors

Business Admin w/ concentration in Accounting

What is/was your college minor(s)?
Didn't have one

Financial Analyst for a non-profit health system. Before this, Commodities Trader

How did your major(s)/minor(s) prepare you to do your job?
My degree did prepare my, but honestly, so far I probably only use 40% of what I learned in college and the other 60% is what my employer has shown me in regards to how they want the job done (which at my last job, conflict with GAAP principles, SEC regs, etc.)

What internships did you do to get ready for your profession?
I didn't intern is my profession, which is my only regret.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

My Major was Psychology
My Minor was African American Studies

I wanted to counsel teenagers in the inner city.

I currently work for an organization that recruits minority students, puts them through corporate development training, then matches them up with a Fortune 500 company for summer internships. The interns stick with that company doing various tasks(?) related to their college major.

I LOVE my job.. I travel to different universities talking with kids about their goals and the steps needed to get there. In a round about way, I'm kinda counseling them about how diff. experiences can influence them. Some students still call me even though they are out of the program. Also, for my current interns, I have started a parent support group which is really active.

Currently pursuing my MPA.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Got a Question...

CT4, I wanted to ask you something, since you're doing what I'm aspiring to do. I didn't minor in Education, so I won't be getting any real classroom observation/experience. However, I was initially a Middle/Secondary Education major before I switched over to English, so I do have some courses under my belt. Do you think that will help when I go out here? Or, should I try persuing a masters' in Education?

Oh, I'm really confused! But, I want to be as prepared as I can when I start looking for a job, which is almost right around the corner.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shani
MAJOR: Political Science (pre-law)
MINOR: Business Administration

Interships. None so far, they were to many states away.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Got a Question...

Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_girl52

CT4, I wanted to ask you something, since you're doing what I'm aspiring to do. I didn't minor in Education, so I won't be getting any real classroom observation/experience. However, I was initially a Middle/Secondary Education major before I switched over to English, so I do have some courses under my belt. Do you think that will help when I go out here? Or, should I try persuing a masters' in Education?

Oh, I'm really confused! But, I want to be as prepared as I can when I start looking for a job, which is almost right around the corner.
Well @ Wittenberg, my English major classes did not teach me how to teach my students and my education classes were general teaching methods but again did not teach me about teaching English.

I contemplated and continue to contemplate getting my Masters Degree in English Education but then again I do not want to be in the classroom forever.

What I would recommend is talking to professors in the Education department because my minor was pretty much a Wittenberg thing. Most of my cohort (English teachers) probably majored in English and Education and were able to learn specific teaching methods for English teachers in the secondary setting. I do recommend, internships or volunteer opportunities that will keep you entrenched in the education field.

NYHune, I like what you are doing. That sounds right up my alley. I want to help prepare students academically. So I might venture into Upward Bound type programs later on.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine is : Sociology/Social Welfare
What I am going to do with it
Old 06-03-2002, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions:
Business Management
What is/was your college minor(s)? No minor

I'm working as a product technical support representative for an accounting software company.

How did your major(s)/minor(s) prepare you to do your job? I had to take some basic accounting courses for my major, which helped me with the lingo, but other than that, my major & what I do don't really correlate.

What internships did you do to get ready for your profession? Didn't do any internships.

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 06-03-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks

CT4, thanks a lot for your response. I feel you, I have been in college for a minute and I'm still thinking about the Masters' thing. A lot of my fellow English majors are wanting to get into teaching. Unfortunately, our English department phased out the Secondary Education concentration, so I missed the opportunity to get into that. You now have to apply to what's called the TEEMS program (on the Masters' level) to get something similar. That program includes more work on your undergrad degree as well as get the methods/student teaching courses, and when you finish you get a Masters' in Education AND start off on a higher pay scale. I'm thinking about applying to that next year instead. Choices, choices.

Thanks again!

Old 06-03-2002, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_girl52
CT4, thanks a lot for your response. I feel you, I have been in college for a minute and I'm still thinking about the Masters' thing. A lot of my fellow English majors are wanting to get into teaching. Unfortunately, our English department phased out the Secondary Education concentration, so I missed the opportunity to get into that. You now have to apply to what's called the TEEMS program (on the Masters' level) to get something similar. That program includes more work on your undergrad degree as well as get the methods/student teaching courses, and when you finish you get a Masters' in Education AND start off on a higher pay scale. I'm thinking about applying to that next year instead. Choices, choices.

Thanks again!
Yeah most colleges have that now because a lot of districts will begin to require that teachers have a masters degree off the top.

Wittenberg is now doing a master's program as well, AFTER I LEFT but after 5 years and $100,000 I had to ROLL OUT.

Keep striving and rising to the top.