GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,282
3 members and 1,279 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Her response just sounds like faulty logic to me.

If your process is not organic and intrinsic to your organization but rather an attempt to "do what any other fraternity would do"....
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

The correct answer should have included the words fellowship, close association, and brotherhood.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawNuff View Post
Anyhoo, DSPi: I didn't ask if you actually owned or did any of those things. My question was "Where are you placing your emphasis?" You are frustrated that others are focusing NPHC similarities instead of the fraternity's purpose - but if you are putting all of your energy into defending para and a process, then you seem to be serving as your own distraction.
Exactly.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpi View Post
If you ask me about it I will tell you about it. The conversation never goes "what is that org" and I reply with a "man this was so hard"

If you ask me what DSP is I will tell you but when you already know what it is and all you do laugh and all you do is disrespect me for wearing my jacket, thats just mean. I honestly guess that really is just life.

I just trying to further myself in life and just grow as a person, I should say this.Some do actually show real interest. Not everybody acts that way towards me but most do.

I would just take it for what it is, if the interested organization chapter would hold it against me and I would try in Grad. But I will never denounce my letters

But thank you all for your feedback

that really IS life. people will hate on what's not the norm/expected. it happens. and what makes you think a grad chapter wouldn't think anything of your affiliation?

ehh, whatever. youre a freshman. these next 3 years are gonna be a whirlwind. you may not even recognize yourself by graduation.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, here's the thing. YES, some people are going to hold it against you especially if what they see you and your org doing on campus is a lot of para-wearing, stepping, and strolling and not a whole lot of business-related activities. You have to SHOW the other organizations on your campus what makes you different, work to EARN their respect, and make people realize why your org is not just a knock-off. Otherwise, no one is going to see any reason why you should get the chance to pledge a D9 organization. In the eyes of everyone on campus, your group might as well be a social, albeit just not a very good one. It's up to you and your chapter to change that image. (Spitting some pledge book rhetoric isn't going to help much, either.)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Okay, here's the thing. YES, some people are going to hold it against you especially if what they see you and your org doing on campus is a lot of para-wearing, stepping, and strolling and not a whole lot of business-related activities. You have to SHOW the other organizations on your campus what makes you different, work to EARN their respect, and make people realize why your org is not just a knock-off. Otherwise, no one is going to see any reason why you should get the chance to pledge a D9 organization. In the eyes of everyone on campus, your group might as well be a social, albeit just not a very good one. It's up to you and your chapter to change that image. (Spitting some pledge book rhetoric isn't going to help much, either.)
I totally agree. When I joined GSS at my school 10 years ago I experienced some of the same things as the OP...people telling us that we weren't a real sorority, why are we stepping and strolling and etc. when we were a service sorority, we heard it all. It made me a stronger person as an individual actually.

DSpi, if you're going to represent yourself in that manner, you're going to have to have a thicker skin and realize that sometimes no matter what you do, people are just going to have their opinion regardless, so you might as well channel your energy into making your org and your chapter look good and do positive things on your campus. Eventually folks are going to accept the fact that you're not going anywhere, or they're not. And also, if your chapter JUST STARTED doing this on your campus, then this was to be expected anyway. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

As far as your desire to join another organization, I can't speak too much on that...but from knowing my own sorors who have gone on to join D9 organizations, they just made it their business to present themselves in the best light possible. That's really all you can do like every other interest out there.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
DSpi

I must say that DSP has been on our campus since 1942 and you are right I am just going to have to brush it off and keep it moving. I think it is just shocking to others as well because I am 1 of 4 African Americans out of our 85 person chapter. I do feel like this is making me a stronger person slowly but surely. I know I still have more growing to do in how to handle people and the negative comments that they make. I am really thankful for your input and encouragement.

DSTren13

We do a lot of Para wearing, we always have programs and meetings at least 4 times out of the week. For Meetings you are required to were professional dress and pins and for all other programs you are required to were your letters. I don't think there is much of a problem with my organization there is more so a problem with me being in it. But we don't step or stroll we do a lot of fund raisers, we have a store that we run in our Business Building, we bring in Professional Speakers, do community service, and have chapter meetings. But any way thank you for you input as well.

Last edited by DSpi; 05-05-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
DSpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Exactly.

Exactly what! She put those thing in parenthesis and I didn't know if she wanted me to clarify or if she was trying to be funny. So due to my slight confusion I just let her know that those things were true.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

DSpi, what do you guys sell in your store?

My school was the home of Mu Chapter, which I recently learned was dechartered.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that you are questioning you own intentions.

I can only speak from my own experience regarding being in more than one organization with Greek letters.

I pledged Alpha Xi Delta, an NPC sorority, at my first college for the entire semester, but had to leave school due to health reasons, the week before final exams. I ended up not initiating. I had to leave my school after my sophmore year financial reasons. Two years later, when I matriculated at one of my state schools, I pledged and initiated at Gamma Sigma Sigma, a national service sorority. GSS is a service organization - it exists for different reasons, and although we pledged and wore letters, our existence was very different than that of NPC sororities. We didn't have formal rush, mixers or formal dances. I have been an active alumna of GSS. Two months ago, many years later, I was bestowed the honor to initiate into Alpha Xi Delta as an alumnae member. Becoming a sister of AXiD does not and will not change what GSS is to me.

I plan to be an active alumnae member of both Gamma Sig and AXiD. (Although this past year I have been very ill and have not been able to do a lot of extra stuff). What is amazing, is that I recently found out that a few founding mothers of Gamma Sig were actually also members of social sororities!
So to sum up my long post - people can belong to different groups, and it is commonly accepted. However, you have to make clear the reasons why you exist in each one. Blurring the lines in either organization may be what is confusing people. The thing is, if you are "repping" your Business GLO in the same sense that one would a social GLO, people may wonder where your allegiance lies. If you make them both equal in your eyes, then how are others supposed to see you?

Last edited by ree-Xi; 05-06-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 AM
DSpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
DSpi, what do you guys sell in your store?

My school was the home of Mu Chapter, which I recently learned was dechartered.

Yes that was the Georgetown University Chapter. We mainly sell food like pizza,coffee, hot dogs and snacks in general but we also sell tickets to various sporting events basketball and football games to help out the sports teams, we sell cd's for the different choirs. I came up with an idea to sell bracelets which all proceeds go to the American Cancer Association, so they will implement that next year.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with much that has been typed.

I want to add that I do and always have found it funny that professional organizations try to carry on like NPHC orgs (I am not including service orgs like APO in this, although it is interesting how that also varies by campus). I was in Phi Alpha Delta in college but never knew it was supposed to be something so heartfilled and important until I saw other schools having lines and stuff. Reppin' it HARD like "Phi Alpha Delta 'til the day I diiiiiiie" type stuff. But at some schools, the band is a frat with a crossing ceremony and "line names." LOL.

You might need to distinguish between your professional goals and your organizational goals. You also need to know what "lifetime commitment" means to you. What happens if you change your career goals (like I did, which is why I stopped being active in Phi Alpha Delta my senior year--still have my pin and probably my decorative paddle--college memories I guess)? Are you no longer wearing your business fraternity 'nalia and reppin' it to the fullest?

You won't be clowned if you aren't clownable. If you pursue an NPHC org just don't walk around like you've had the "NPHC experience" because you're in a business frat that cared enough to have line jackets and stuff. That business frat doesn't really mean anything as far as many NPHCers are concerned. Don't disown your business frat associations or respect for your business frat, though, just understand the different levels.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie B View Post
I'm not greek yet, but I do think you're a sell out.
why?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
DSpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I agree with much that has been typed.

I want to add that I do and always have found it funny that professional organizations try to carry on like NPHC orgs (I am not including service orgs like APO in this, although it is interesting how that also varies by campus). I was in Phi Alpha Delta in college but never knew it was supposed to be something so heartfilled and important until I saw other schools having lines and stuff. Reppin' it HARD like "Phi Alpha Delta 'til the day I diiiiiiie" type stuff. But at some schools, the band is a frat with a crossing ceremony and "line names." LOL.
I would find that funny as well but know that we are not trying to be like BGLO's. We were established before every single BGLO and founded before every single BGLO except for Alpha Phi Alpha. We have carried out all our traditions the same. So know that you have it twisted and flip flopped we do not in any way shape or form try to carry on like NPHC, I can truly say that about mt chapter. If anything BGLO's carry after the white fraternities, how can somebody who has done all of there traditions way before your time copy you. Any organization reppin till I die, why the LOL, unless you are in it you have no idea what they went through and all they are just letting you know that they love their organization that much. People in BGLO's do the same; do you LOL them.

Quote:
You might need to distinguish between your professional goals and your organizational goals. You also need to know what "lifetime commitment" means to you. What happens if you change your career goals (like I did, which is why I stopped being active in Phi Alpha Delta my senior year--still have my pin and probably my decorative paddle--college memories I guess)? Are you no longer wearing your business fraternity 'nalia and reppin' it to the fullest?
I have distinguished between them. I do also know what a lifetime commitment is. If you change your career goals you are still expected to carry on in the fraternity because we encourage the association of students for their mutual advancement by research and practice meaning that we expect people to continually change and grow within our fraternity but know that we support you still the same. So yes I will represent my fraternity to the fullest and stay active, and in doing that you have to where your naila at every event that deal with DSP.

Quote:
You won't be clowned if you aren't clownable. If you pursue an NPHC org just don't walk around like you've had the "NPHC experience" because you're in a business frat that cared enough to have line jackets and stuff. That business frat doesn't really mean anything as far as many NPHCers are concerned. Don't disown your business frat associations or respect for your business frat, though, just understand the different levels.
So being different and stepping out of your comfort zone and putting yourself into a situation where you know that most people of your stature are too afraid to go because it is established by the man and doesn't have enough black folk in it, is clownable? Wearing a jacket that everybody in the fraternity wears, is that clownable too? Why because I am a black female? Am I clownable because I am not following the slew of African americans? Am I clownable because I follow the traditions and the expectations of my fraternity?

I understand that they are on different levels and I always have. That is not the issue, the issue is others do not and I get called a wanna be.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Everything said doesn't need a response.