» Online Users: 1,436
0 members and 1,436 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2015, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
#policebodycamerasnow.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with regard to police body cameras. I'd like to be a fly on the walls of the room where this option is discussed. There are definitely a lot of good reasons to get them, but there are also a lot of good reasons not to.

Some of the things I question... Where will all the recorded data be stored, and who will be charged with its security? How will everyone be assured of their privacy?

Should be a good conversation (assuming everyone comes to the table ready to consider all options).
Old 05-01-2015, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens with regard to police body cameras. I'd like to be a fly on the walls of the room where this option is discussed. There are definitely a lot of good reasons to get them, but there are also a lot of good reasons not to.

Some of the things I question... Where will all the recorded data be stored, and who will be charged with its security? How will everyone be assured of their privacy?

Should be a good conversation (assuming everyone comes to the table ready to consider all options).
The cameras alone aren't the major cost, it's storing the data that will really cost a lot of money. Money that most municipalities don't have. Cities like NYC and Miami may be able to find the funding but for everybody else...It's going to have to be funded by the Feds, plain and simple. I'm betting that a lot of third party data storage companies will be the ones contracted out to handle the archives and for security, I'm sure there will be hacks but that's life.

The argument for body cameras seems to center around the notion that it's going to catch a lot of bad cops and the public will be safer. While that may be true to some extent, the public will make up the majority of cases of wrongdoing caught on camera. You have to give up some civil liberty to really implement body cameras nationwide. The question is, is it really worth it to you?

ETA- police body cams can also possibly create a 4th amendment nightmare.

Last edited by PiKA2001; 05-01-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
What do you mean by that statement? Who's insulting your intelligence?
I can't speak for Tony but I feel my intelligence has been insulted numerous times in the past few days. The media has been incredibly selective in what has been portrayed in an attempt to skew things a particular way and it's ridiculous what people are expected to believe without question. The notion that all the protesters are running around causing damage (10,000+ people were protesting peacefully for a week before that), the arrest was his own fault for possessing a knife (he was legally carrying and it has now been deemed an illegal detainment), he broke his own back by struggling (WTF?), his spine was already injured by surgery and there's proof (both the rumor and the "proof" were bogus), etc. The list of far-fetched sensational tales we are supposed to accept in lieu of actual investigation and fair trial is ridiculous. Too bad there are so many who did accept it cluttering up my social media feeds but I notice they are all pretty quiet now.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
The media has been incredibly selective in what has been portrayed in an attempt to skew things a particular way and it's ridiculous what people are expected to believe without question.

You say this as if it's a new phenomenon but it's interesting you point out how the media appears (in your eyes) to have been unfairly treating the victim and his supporters. Many people made the same claims in regards to the Furgeson incident on how Ofc Wilson was instantly demonized by most of the media. How would the national discourse on the issue have been different if the later proven false claims of him shooting Brown in the back or if "hands up don't shoot" wasn't reported to have happened? I've always been one to reserve judgement on these murky cases until the real evidence starts rolling out, not the widely reported, rumors. Either way, the media has been doing this longer than you've been alive so expect your intelligence to get insulted many more times in the future
Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
1.You say this as if it's a new phenomenon but it's interesting you point out how the media appears (in your eyes) to have been unfairly treating the victim and his supporters. 2.Many people made the same claims in regards to the Furgeson incident on how Ofc Wilson was instantly demonized by most of the media. 3. How would the national discourse on the issue have been different if the later proven false claims of him shooting Brown in the back or if "hands up don't shoot" wasn't reported to have happened? 4. I've always been one to reserve judgement on these murky cases until the real evidence starts rolling out, not the widely reported, rumors. Either way, the media has been doing this longer than you've been alive so expect your intelligence to get insulted many more times in the future
1. At what point did I imply any of this was new? Sensationalism and omission of fact is just as insulting today as it was yesterday and it will still be so tomorrow.

2. I'm aware that he was demonized in many circles. In many others, Michael Brown was also demonized and dehumanized. As I'm sure you know, it's all source-dependent which is yet another problem.

3. It would have been a lot more fair if the false claims from both sides had never been reported.

4. That's great. So do I. I wish more people did.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Stealthmode's recent posts accurately captured my sentiments. Leaks suggesting Grey was "intentionally trying to injure himself" to the point of breaking his own neck. No.

...the ingenuity it takes to come up with these "explanations" is almost impressive.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Baltimore is still under a police state.....err, I mean curfew.

Very glad to see much diversity in the crowds in the pictures on this:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaltimoreUprising?src=hash

Some of the Twitter-atti are labeling this movement Black Spring.

So, do you think more protests will be spreading even further across the nation?