Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,369
0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

From following the #Ferguson Twitter hashtag:

1. Ferguson, MO events last night are under a "media blackout".
2. ANONYMOUS has allegedly released the name of the "officer".
3. According to various Twitter accounts, media was asked by the police to turn off their cameras as rubber bullets were fired and tear gas canisters launched; media reps were taken into custody; some were not charged and released.
4. Tear gas was fired at the media.
5. Loaded military weapons aimed at peaceful protestors.
6. Mainstream media being criticized on Twitter for burying the events in MO on the morning news.
7. Various videos from reporters' arrests are popping up on Youtube and now, on some media outlets.
8. An Alderman was arrested also last night. Antonio French. He was released this morning.
https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

Keep an eye on that hashtag if you want to keep track of what is really happening in Ferguson.

Last edited by ZetaPhi708.20; 08-14-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

Those of us not on twitttter can get the same information from the news. The news is reporting the same thing. Also, I recommend reading and watching various news outlets for a more balanced approach.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Those of us not on twitttter can get the same information from the news. The news is reporting the same thing. Also, I recommend reading and watching various news outlets for a more balanced approach.
Which news outlet(s) is(are) providing the coverage?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends is in the area and has been posting a steady stream of information. This website gives a pretty good overview, I think.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaPhi708.20 View Post
Which news outlet(s) is(are) providing the coverage?
News radio stations, cable networks, morning and evening news, and news articles. I knew everything posted from that twitttter from watching cable news networks last night. Msnbc was the only live coverage but the other news reports of what happened last night are the same.

Just a reminder for those of us not on twitttter. Also for those of us who watch and read different news outlets, even if we disagree with the perspective, to get a balanced approach.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

CNN Live is about to air President Obama live in Martha's Vineyard making a statement on Iraq and Ferguson, MO.

I don't watch Presidents' statements but those who do can watch it live, catch it recorded online, or the cliff notes on the news.

I am watching CNN's pre-President discussion of Ferguson, MO.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Speechless.

Incredulous.

Heartsick.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

http://news.msn.com/us/police-defend...ke-at-protests
Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard on the radio on my way home tonight that they are trying a new tactic- providing a designated space for protests tonight. I hope that works. People obviously have a right to protest but when some are throwing Molotov cocktails, it can't end well either.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

http://news.msn.com/us/missouri-troo...guson-security
Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I heard on the radio on my way home tonight that they are trying a new tactic- providing a designated space for protests tonight. I hope that works. People obviously have a right to protest but when some are throwing Molotov cocktails, it can't end well either.

Whoodathunk we'd someday be living in a country with designated free speech zones?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

^^^ As always, freedom of speech comes with expectations and limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Exactly. Add to that police hearing gunshots and seeing at least one person in a crowd with a gun.

I hope this new tactic works. It helps that some people have been cordial with police. With an understanding that "community policing" (and "hostility") are reciprocal and give-and-take.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-14-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

There's always two sides to every story. I don't think a police officer is going to roll up on some random, unarmed kid, and shoot him for no apparent reason, especially after the Treyvon Martin incident.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Whoodathunk we'd someday be living in a country with designated free speech zones?
We've had them for a very long time. Unions workers who are striking have the right to walk a picket line, but they can't do it just anywhere. Political candidates have restrictions on how close to the ballot booths they can actively campaign. We have a right to assembly, but we can't have a meeting in the middle of a busy intersection and hold up traffic. You can't yell "fire" in a theater. There are restrictions around free speech and the right to assembly. And there should be, or we'd have anarchy.