GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,401
3 members and 1,398 guests
annetaetsay3761, IllyPolly

Old 09-20-2006, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of one chapter in Florida (not at UCF) that builds into their dues to pay for rush infractions for all members to dress alike. This particular chapter also bills their members $700 because they mass order clothes for all active members which included 7 jeans and Lacoste polo shirts. Another chapter I heard of (again not at UCF) made all their members wear Spankz under their clothes which honestly struck me as funny.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltrixx View Post
I know of one chapter in Florida (not at UCF) that builds into their dues to pay for rush infractions for all members to dress alike. This particular chapter also bills their members $700 because they mass order clothes for all active members which included 7 jeans and Lacoste polo shirts. Another chapter I heard of (again not at UCF) made all their members wear Spankz under their clothes which honestly struck me as funny.
Unless the school specifically prohibits this, I'm pretty sure it's not a rush infraction.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Unless the school specifically prohibits this, I'm pretty sure it's not a rush infraction.
I was just thinking that. My chapter mass ordered clothes for rush....but everyone did that at my school.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
The funny thing about dirty rushing is that the damage is already done by the time the fine is paid by the house. I've heard of situations where the rush chair in a chapter will be in contact with the disaffiliated rush counselors, etc. There's really no way to stop that sort of stuff. Plus, if the chapter is caught....the penalty is money. It's not like they lose their pledge class.

It seems like there needs to be a bigger penalty for violating the rules so that chapters won't do things like build the infractions into dues, etc.
I completely agree. I think they SHOULD lose new members, or not be allowed to participate in recruitment the following year, or something more strict than simply fining them. But, whatever.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Its so much cheaper that way too.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
The rules DO prohibit this, but they eat the infraction bill each year because they can afford it.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The rules DO prohibit this, but they eat the infraction bill each year because they can afford it.
I just don't get why they would waste major $$$ just to dress alike.

Especially since most schools would allow them to have 1/4 in 7 jeans and a Green polo, 1/4 in Paiges and a Gold polo, 1/4 in Chip & Pepper and a red polo, and 1/4 in Gucci and a white polo and not get an infraction. (Just as an example, if ASA was going to dress designer....not to mention that afterwards they could all go stand in an intersection and direct traffic...gotta love our stoplight colors. )
Old 09-20-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In that case, it's the panhel's fault for not implementing stricter consequences for having an infraction. Either that or this sorority has some mighty wealthy and powerful alums.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Dressing in the exact same outfit (unless panhellenic provides it) is against the rules for most no-frills campuses. The whole idea of no-frills is to paint a more accurate picture of the chapter, which does not include shelling out $$$ to dress alike on a daily basis.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

To play devil's advocate here, there are some chapters where everyone in the sorority can afford 7 for all mankind jeans and wears them. It could be possible for everyone to have the same jeans and polo since they're "basic" things.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Dressing in the exact same outfit (unless panhellenic provides it) is against the rules for most no-frills campuses. The whole idea of no-frills is to paint a more accurate picture of the chapter, which does not include shelling out $$$ to dress alike on a daily basis.
Although I'm the queen of pushing no-frills...if I was the rush chair and had to worry about 200 individuals' interpretations of "cute and casual, polos and nice jeans" I think I'd probably eat the infraction bill too. I know there are such things as dress checks, but I can't imagine that telling someone "Magda, your jeans are too tight and that green polo makes you look like Kermit" lessens any of the stress of rush.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Trust me, the initial NPC Rush Resolutions (referred to by many as "no frills") said nothing about not being able to dress alike. I think if a chapter chooses to do it...great. If your chapter doesn't want to...great. I'm tired of college panhellenics dictating every minute detail. It removes much of the creativity & fun that can be a part of recruitment.

Be careful that "NO FRILLS" doesn't turn into "NO FUN!"
Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses. A PNM told me that "ABC" and "XYZ" keep inviting the same girls out to dinners. Her "NOP" classmate used the phrase, "Dirty Rush," when these dinners were mentioned. She wondered what she should do if she encountered the situation.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Although I'm the queen of pushing no-frills...if I was the rush chair and had to worry about 200 individuals' interpretations of "cute and casual, polos and nice jeans" I think I'd probably eat the infraction bill too. I know there are such things as dress checks, but I can't imagine that telling someone "Magda, your jeans are too tight and that green polo makes you look like Kermit" lessens any of the stress of rush.
We usually gave guidelines like "Wear a light pink tshirt and a denim skirt." It allowed women to wear clothes that looked good on them, and expressed their own style without it looking chaotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Trust me, the initial NPC Rush Resolutions (referred to by many as "no frills") said nothing about not being able to dress alike. I think if a chapter chooses to do it...great. If your chapter doesn't want to...great. I'm tired of college panhellenics dictating every minute detail. It removes much of the creativity & fun that can be a part of recruitment.

Be careful that "NO FRILLS" doesn't turn into "NO FUN!"

This is a perfect example of how recruitment can vary widely from campus to campus. At my school (a private in Southern Calif.) I think many of the sorority members would have complained about having to be identical. I know my chapter, which always touted our diversity and individuality of its members (and meant it) would have never accepted wearing the same outfit. Not to mention that most chapters at my school had women of all shapes and sizes, and putting them all in one outfit is not always possible or attractive.

I know what you mean by not getting carried away with no-frills, though. I remember the year I was on panhellenic exec. and we had to actually designate the BRAND of bottled water each chapter should buy for their parties because some groups were concerned the PNMs would judge them on whether they got store-brand or name-brand.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I know what you mean by not getting carried away with no-frills, though. I remember the year I was on panhellenic exec. and we had to actually designate the BRAND of bottled water each chapter should buy for their parties because some groups were concerned the PNMs would judge them on whether they got store-brand or name-brand.
OH. MY. GOD. I would have told them to STFU and spend the extra $25 to get Evian instead of Sam's Choice if it meant that much to them. Hell, go all out and get Pellegrino for all I care, it's your rush budget.