Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,193
1 members and 1,192 guests
QueenD

Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSigal View Post
I'm in AEPi at Cal-State University Northridge. On our campus, we have AEPi, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, SigEp, SAE, Kappa Sig, PiKap, Pikes, Lambda Chi, Tekes, and ZBT. The top houses here are Sigma Chi, AEPi, SigEp.

Now about 2 years ago, SigEp had a internal issue and the house literally split in half. Half stayed and half left. The half that left started a new fraternity; Tau Omega Rho...aka TOP. They are not IFC, they don't have IFC/FIPG rules to follow, their dues are only $200/brother a semester (we don't go by quarters), they're allowed to play in IFC IMs, their recruitment results are ridiculously good, they have two houses next door to each other, they donate to philanthropy, have meetings, ritual, etc...and they are loved by the two biggest sororities on campus. These guys did work. They suck at volleyball IMs cuz AEPi & Sigma Chi dominate that shit, but they win at every other sport. They don't have national dues/insurance/school fees...so they literally spend all of their dues on social events. These guys are successful as fuck. And all of their exec-board members have hook ups and connections like crazy. We're doing a double-date party with them soon and it's gonna be insane. They add to the best fraternity list so it goes: Sigma Chi, AEPi, TOP, SigEp. What a way to say "fuck you" to their original fraternity...
...ok?

Is there a question buried somewhere in here?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a great story, but is there a point to it?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I think this should be seen as an utter pie in the sky exception to the rule. Yes a local might be able to make it on a campus dominated by nationals, but it is soooooo unlikely. Besides, these guys were already familiar with what it takes to run a fraternity and already had the contacts that you wouldn't have.

To the OP, I would seriously look at one of the existing fraternities on campus, or being part of another national expansion. It can be done, but the cost/benefit analysis may very well not be there. It's a ton of work when you DO have a national organization behind you; it would be exponentially more on your own.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's not forget that one mishap and this group is destroyed to kingdom come. Operating without insurance? I can't even believe the school would allow a greek organization to do so.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Where would I go to get insurance for a fraternity?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if re-creating drama somewhere else is the answer or if learning to function in an otherwise dysfunctional environment might be serve everyone better in the long term?