Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 966
1 members and 965 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

We've had socials with non-Fraternity orgs. Like the men's rowing team.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibetaphi2013 View Post
I would only do this if it is fairly common/would likely be accepted in the culture on your campus. It could come across as extra creepy/awkward if no fraternity or sorority has ever done something like that before, especially if it's a newspaper ad.
LOL, I didn't mean a giant ad, I meant a little classified ad.

Although it makes me kind of sad to think that thanking someone for their time and hospitality would ever be regarded as creepy...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

If your school has co-ed dorms, that can be a big factor. People tend to form close relationships with those that they spent the 1st year of their adult lives with and a lot of relationships that build during freshmen year feel like family as much as greek life. Our fraternity started hanging out with a new sorority when I was an upperclassman because a large section of one of our classes were all friends with large group of girls who pledged this sorority. They had all lived in the same dorm freshman year. We probably partied with them 20 times a year, as opposed to once a year before only due to all the sororities/frats making an effort to have one event with all those of the opposite sex yearly. (small school)
Practically, put the ball in the court of your new members. Have them work at meeting greeks or potential greeks in the dorms.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOL, I didn't mean a giant ad, I meant a little classified ad.

Although it makes me kind of sad to think that thanking someone for their time and hospitality would ever be regarded as creepy...
A lot of times after a particularly nice event some of the girls will put up on their facebook status "KKG <3 XYZ!" The other way around (XYZ <3 KKG!) works too. Random, little, but helpful if you're trying to improve your rep with the girls. Everyone likes to be appreciated!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're not in the top tier of fraternities at your university, then top tier sororities are not likely to want to do any socials with you no matter how much or politely you ask. Although I'm not too huge a fan of tiers, they are definetly present. You said most of them do not give you the time of day, talk to the ones that do and do your socials with them until your numbers or rep. improves.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

What kind of mixers have you been suggesting to sororities? Have you been suggesting things or just asking for a mixer? I'd recommend thinking outside of the box with the kinds of things you are asking the sororities to do with you.

We had a fraternity on our campus who had gotten to the point of rarely mixing with the sororities, and they decided to host a series of etiquette dinenrs for each sorority. Instead of asking us to do something at a club or something where girls would be uncomfortable dancing, wearing funny costumes, or whatever with guys they barely knew, this was something a little easier to get behind. They wore suits and asked us to wear dresses and cooked us a nice meal while teaching some do's and don'ts for proper table etiquette. They also did it early enough that it didn't get in the way of any other plans that girls may have. I think another great thing they did was host the same event for all sororities. If they were going to plan one for everyone else, we didn't want to be the one chapter missing out.

It was a great idea that really raised their social profile on campus, and we started holding events with them much more frequently after that.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by StellarSister; 10-07-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should definitely be honest with who your organization is when "pitching" yourself for events. If your numbers are low and you're not the "faciest" guys, don't get cocky (not saying you are).

Be nice, be gentlemen, be respectful, and do try to increase your visibility on campus. Girls like having events with us because of our reputation as "really sweet guys." You don't have the numbers yet, perhaps you don't have the visibility or can play the hot card, but you all have personalities. Use them well. You're new, if a sorority agrees to an event don't expect the hugest turnout, but since your numbers are low this won't be too awkward.

It's a reputation thing. It sucks but that's how it goes, keep doing small but successful events and you should do well. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
^^One of the fraternities dressed up their hottest guy in a suit and scheduled for him to speak at our chapter meeting where he asked us to be their homecoming partners & have a fall social. Shallow? Yes. Effective? Um...YEAH. We're talking 18-22 year old women. Plus, taking the time to think ahead and SCHEDULE to speak at our meeting, as well as us already being together to go ahead and vote when he was done speaking (after he left, obviously...we weren't going to vote IN FRONT of him) were good ideas.
This. Also, serenades where the guys dress up and give the girls flowers and formally invite the sorority to an event.

Another option: offer to pay for the entire social event. Things have changed a lot since my days in the chapter, but we offered this option to fraternities we didn't typically have socials with. We weren't going to pay 1/2 because 9 times out of 10 our girls wouldn't show up. This way the guys had the social on the calendar and a handful would come out, sometimes more. I know... but you're dealing with a bunch of shallow 18-22 year olds.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you definitely need to send your cutest guys, make sure they dress up and are laid back, funny and confident. In addition it would be a great idea to give them flowers and maybe cookies (funfetti are always a good bet) to congratulate them on their pledge class, when they're new girls initiate, or on a successful philanthropy event. Finally make sure your proposals are really original, present close to when they will be voting (so no one forgets), and make sure it has nothing to do with alcohol or bars or anything!

For exapmle: a fraternity came by the house on bid day with cookies and introduced themselves to our new girls. When they presented they brought a stuffed animal version of our mascot. They proposed 90's karaoke social and did a backstreet boys song and dance for us! Admittedly that is a lot of work but I am pretty sure every girl voted for them!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sit in the caf, near the sororities, so they can see you. Be sure you look hot.
Unwittingly began reading this thread before I realized most of the posts are pretty old. In any case, 33girl, I read your post to say "Sit in the car, near the sororities, so they can see you."

CREEPER!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you ask them far enough in advance! Many of the fraternities on campus seem to be surprised when we tell them our social calendar has been booked since last semester! Make sure you formally ask them at least a semester in advance.

Also, find out when their elections are so you can send a congratulations present/note to the new social chair person for the sororities that you are interested in!

Some things that our chapter likes: when boys make posters and leave them on the door of our house, dress up and bring us treats to chapter, serenades, etc...

Try just coming to chapter and inviting them to regular open party that you're throwing! It's a good way to show that you're interested and to meet the girls.

All time favorite: Some cute boys brought us a heart shaped cake that read "Eat your heart out ABC" on it, and ABC was our rival/competition sorority. So funny!!

P.S. Make sure you bring enough goodies for all the girls in the chapter! 120 girls can eat a surprisingly lot of brownies!

Proud to be an Old Dominion Diamond and a Macon Magnolia!

Some people call it manipulation, Southern Belles call it charm.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny to see this thread revived from the dark. Plenty of good advice.

Haven't managed to score any socials yet though.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If scoring a social event is being difficult then do philanthropy! Ask a sororitie if they would want to join you doing tables for a canned food drive or another type of event for charity. This shows that you care, gets your community service hours, gets your name on campus, and meets the other sororities.