GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,299
0 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Unregistered-

Yeah, we've seen psycho bitches on GC who transfer schools just to become Greek, so it's no surprise that some college applicants will base their decision on a school's Greek life when choosing which school to attend.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsweetheart
I actually know quite a few girls who will be influenced by greek life while choosing a college. For instance one girl who is a freshman in college this year really liked Ole Miss, but since all the women in her family are ADPis and Ole Miss doesn't currently have an ADPi chapter she chose to go to Georgia instead and the guidance counselor at my school had strongly recommeded Auburn to another girl, but since they don't have sorority houses she didn't even apply. But then again, this is the south

Wow.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's just hope that she's asking just for clarification on the systems, and not that this is what she's basing her decision on. I didn't get the latter impression from her post. And while you all can be high and mighty about "Choose your college by the academics blah blah blah" -- that's NOT what it's all about. I chose my first school for things like the academic programs and experiences and then ended up hating my social life. When I transferred, I ended up passing up a school that has a very strong program in my field (Beloit College) for one that has just an okay program (Wisconsin). Why? Because I knew that the social life would be more what I wanted at the UW -- and part of that included Greek life. The UW's Greek system is much larger than Beloit's.

Let's face it -- college is NOT all about the academics. Granted, I am one of those people who is more in college for the social stuff and life-forming experiences than the classes. But I don't see the point of even looking at a school that has no Greek system if, for example, you know that you want to join a sorority in college. To me, that's just as stupid as going to school that has no architecture major if you know you want to major in architecture.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
And while you all can be high and mighty about "Choose your college by the academics blah blah blah" -- that's NOT what it's all about.

Granted, I am one of those people who is more in college for the social stuff and life-forming experiences than the classes. But I don't see the point of even looking at a school that has no Greek system if, for example, you know that you want to join a sorority in college. To me, that's just as stupid as going to school that has no architecture major if you know you want to major in architecture.
I was one of those people who was more concerned about the social aspects of going to college--I knew of the schools I was actually considering, I'd get a great academic experience.

I'm just saying, wait until you get in before you start making decisions based on Greek life. A lot might change between now and May.

Plus, a lot of these Southern rushes some GCers like to treat as if they're the best thing since sliced bread are extremely cutthroat for out-of-region girls.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 12-12-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03

I'm just saying, wait until you get in before you start making decisions based on Greek life. A lot might change between now and May.

Plus, a lot of these Southern rushes some GCers like to treat as if they're the best thing since sliced bread are extremely cutthroat for out-of-region girls.
This I definitely agree with. I recommend for everyone that you shouldn't have a dream school before you get in -- let's face it, the whole college application is so very arbitrary. You can love a school on paper and hate it when you get there. You can fall in love with a school and not get in. Feel free to collect information before April, but try not to get too set on any one school before that.

I visited Macalester in February of my senior year, after I'd gotten in (there, and at all the other schools I'd applied to). I'd already kind of decided on Minnesota, but when I visited Macalester I loved it. Unfortunately, as it worked out, I chose not to go there because I would go thousands of dollars in debt -- so I'm glad that I hadn't visited it early, fallen in love with it, spent several months of it being my "dream school" and then realizing that it wasn't practical for me to go there. I know somebody else who had the same thing happen to her (with Hampshire). Wait until you get in before you start making major decisions, kids!

And don't even get me started on the Southern rush worship . . . LOL.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, college isn't ALL about academics. I think eliminating schools based on any SINGLE factor (be it your major, greek life, the food) could potentially land you somewhere you thought you wanted to be but now hate and want to transfer.

If you are TORN between 2 schools, however, I suggest looking at these things as sort of tie-breakers.

Senior year of HS I was torn betweenAshland Univ. and Kent State. Both had EXCELLENT education programs, great dorms, etc. I was completely unsure until I did an overnight visit to both schools.

I knew in the back of my mind, the school I wanted to go to had to have lots of people and lots of things to do. KSU is a large state school and Asland is smaller and private. When I visited Ashland, people complained about how boring it is and when I asked about Greek life, I got puzzled looks (there are 4 NPC's there, but no one I met there could give me any info).

At KSU, I had a much better time. The girl I overnighted with had a DZ suitemate and she even took me around to see all the sorority houses. We actually talked about what people did there for fun, and that sealed the deal for me.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 PM

Are we talking about applying or actually accepting? I mean, apply where you're interested and then once you get accepted, go visit. AFAIK you don't have to tell them the minute that you get your acceptance letter that is where you want to go. How much does it cost nowadays to apply anyway?

I think it's very important to choose a school with a strong Greek system if you're interested in that - just as it's important to choose a school with strong sports if you're interested in that or places that DON'T have those things if you don't want to participate in them. There's no sense in going to a school that has your dream major if it's heavily Greek and you want nothing to do with Greek life, unless you'll be happy being a hermit. By the same token, don't go to (example) Bama just for the Greek life if it doesn't have the major you want. There are so many colleges you can find one that suits you in everything if you try.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're looking for the southern recruitment experience without leaving Ohio, Miami of Ohio is the place to go.

(Not that it's southern- just fairly cutthroat.)
Old 12-12-2004, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Let's just hope that she's asking just for clarification on the systems, and not that this is what she's basing her decision on. I didn't get the latter impression from her post. And while you all can be high and mighty about "Choose your college by the academics blah blah blah" -- that's NOT what it's all about. I chose my first school for things like the academic programs and experiences and then ended up hating my social life. When I transferred, I ended up passing up a school that has a very strong program in my field (Beloit College) for one that has just an okay program (Wisconsin). Why? Because I knew that the social life would be more what I wanted at the UW -- and part of that included Greek life. The UW's Greek system is much larger than Beloit's.

Let's face it -- college is NOT all about the academics. Granted, I am one of those people who is more in college for the social stuff and life-forming experiences than the classes. But I don't see the point of even looking at a school that has no Greek system if, for example, you know that you want to join a sorority in college. To me, that's just as stupid as going to school that has no architecture major if you know you want to major in architecture.
AMEN!!!

I didn't get that she wanted and was choosing her schools only by greek life or whatever. When choosing a school you have lots of options you want to fullfill. One of her options is greek life. This is greekchat. So most of her questions here would revolve around only greek related conversations.

I don't know... it makes sense to me.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Yeah, we've seen psycho bitches on GC who transfer schools just to become Greek, so it's no surprise that some college applicants will base their decision on a school's Greek life when choosing which school to attend.
Many women transfer so they can become Greek; it's not rare at all and most transfer to a school with their old major, so no big deal. Maybe the girl first chose a school that's huge and had a cutthroat rush and as a small-town or relatively unknown girl, she was at a disadvantage. Or I can think of a case in which a girl went to an intown school and the many Greek girls from her hometown had already decided ahead of time that since she was a "no-name" in high school, they didn't want her in their groups in college.

Too bad for them! She transferred and became a true leader at her new school--as well as president of her sorority.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Don't forget the girls whose mothers are psycho bitches and tell them that they won't pay tuition if they join a "non-elite" house!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Don't forget the girls whose mothers are psycho bitches and tell them that they won't pay tuition if they join a "non-elite" house!
God bless the south, right?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
God bless the south, right?
The real south or the pretend south?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't know of any of those. Only of one who was lied about concerning said situation.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

i know there is already a thread called "house pics" but i was wondering if any of you could post some university of alabama house pics. thx!
Closed Thread